History

That Girl, That Boy

 

 *Flashback*

 

You had everything- an older brother, a caring mother, a hard working father: a family to treasure. Your father had been a head police inspector cracking down on drug crime in Hong Kong. He regularly had to go to China and so you would often visit him during school holidays. It was because of this that you could now speak fluent Cantonese and Mandarin. Your father had been working on the major ring of drug crime and it involved those that were in jail. Your father knew that it meant their was corruption in the Hong Kong police force and he began a second private investigation with a few of his closest colleagues. Together, the police guards were found out and also arrested. They managed to arrest several wanted men but had failed to find the main culprit. He went by the name of 'Four'. 

AN: According to chinese culture, 'four' is considered a highly unlucky number. Buildings in Hong Kong generally do not have a 4th floor and hotels and apartment blocks won't have a room 4. This is because the way it is pronounced '四' (sì) sounds similar to the way death ('死') is pronounced (sǐ). 

When the prisoners in the jails realised that your father had found out about the inner drug ring, they were furious and vowed revenge. Your father, fearing for your family's safety, put you under the watchful eye of your uncle who chaperoned you, your brother and your mother. After a few months, your father eventually arrested 'Four' after finding him hiding in Shenzhen which is where Hong Kong connects to China. 'Four', of course, wanted to seek revenge. As the main drug lord, he held the power and before being put in prison he ordered your entire family be killed. Those in jail previously had been released and willingly accepted the idea. 'Four' paid them handsomely which they in turn used for their drug addictions and soon enough, the entire underground network in Hong Kong was after your familiy's heads. 

After being tipped off by an arrested former colleague, your father organised a plane to London. You were to flee there. Being so young, you didn't realise what had been happening but your brother had later explained to you everything. You boarded the first plane to London along with all your grandparents and uncles and aunties. Everyone came except that uncle and his family. He stayed behind stating there were a few things he needed to take care of. After arriving in London, your family began to find work and rebuild your lives however your uncle never came along. Your father had presumed he had been kidnapped and tortured by the drug network and your family had to accept that. You missed that uncle. He knew exactly how to make you happy. He knew your favorite colors and your favorite foods. Perhaps he knew too much. 

2 letters had come in through your postboxes one morning, 10 years later. It was the beginning of January, 2012. They had been sent to all your family members. They were all living in different parts of London but you remembered your father quickly hurrying you to school. Your older brother was a university student now and he was staying with some of your cousins in Wales for the New Year. You went to school without thinking twice about what was happening. During your lunch break, a teacher passed you the message that your parents wouldn't be home till late and you wouldn't be able to come home until late that night as you had lost your house keys. You had sighed but put it to the back of your mind. As school ended, you took yourself to Maddie's house until you finally arrived home at 8pm. 

When you were standing outside the gates you realised something was wrong. Your dogs weren't barking and the security men that stood guard weren't there. The door was open too. 

'Eomma?! Appa!?'

You stepped in and felt the crack of glass beneath your feet and the smell of blood. 

No way. Andwae!

You walked though taking care of the shattered glass and overturned furniture and that's when you saw it. Your parents- clutching each other with blindfolds on with shots to their heads. You screamed and accidentally knocked the coffee table. There was your baby, your Great Dane Jess, lying beneath it, dead. You took out your mobile and called '999'. You ran out of the house like a mad woman and sat on the porch, crying and crying until the police arrived. You were taken to the a mental counsellor immediately. 

A month later, the police had found 3 letters which had been on your father when he died. They had also found that your entire family had been killed and your cousins and brother had been ambushed as they drove back to London from Wales. They had died in a car fire. The 3 letters had been given to you to read, if you wanted to. You opened them all. The first was from 'anonymous'. It had been entirely written in Chinese and thats when you knew- 'Four' had succeeded in his revenge. He had killed your entire family. The second was a shock. It was from your uncle and it was addressed to your father. It was simply written with no emotions or affection. You wouldn't have known it was from a brother to a brother had you not known your uncle. The message was short and simple. It explained that after your father and your family left for London, the drug criminals had found him and used him to gather information about your new life. It had taken them 10 years and ultimately, your uncle had betrayed his entire family for the money 'Four' offered him. You sat in horror and disbelief and opened the final letter, addressed to you only and from your parents. It was written entirely in Korean.

Haneul-darling, this is your mother. Our time is up now. We're going to sacrifice ourselves to save you. You have so much going for you in life and if we have to die, you must at least go on and do many great things. The criminals from Hong Kong are here again and they want us all dead. We will tell them you died a long time ago from Meningitis so they do not come after you. I know you will be by yourself from now on but I hope you don't think it is selfish of us to leave you. We hope your brother will not be found but we cannot be sure. Haneul, we love you. Please remember that. It is sad that we have to go without saying goodbye to our beautiful daughter but promise us this, you will grow up to be the best woman you can be and you will not go after those bad men. Your father has already called for their arrest when they arrive back in Hong Kong so everything will be fine. Haneul, I love you.

This is your father. Haneul, you've grown up to be a beautiful girl. I know you've had to suffer many hardships because of me and now you are losing your entire family because of what I did. I can't explain how guilty I feel. Father is a bad man and he is sorry to our family for that. I do not think any of our family will survive our attack but if they do, please tell them how sorry I am for everything. It is my fault for putting our entire family in danger: my brothers and sisters, your mother's brothers and sisters, your cousins and you and Joon, my children. I hope you do not hate me for this but I've burned all evidence of your existence. It was necessary to do so that they would truly believe that you had died. We did not have much time to destroy your clothes and photos. If you are wondering why we did not flee, I shall tell you. We decided not to run away because of you and Joon. You two are away and if we were to run, they next time they find us we may all be together and thus the 4 of us would be killed. This way, only 2 or 3 will be. Our entire family know this too. When you were at school, we rang them to see what our actions should be and this was a mutual decision. We want our children to live on and be happy in the future. I understand this will affect you but my Haneul is a clever girl. Father will always always be watching you to guide you. Appa loves you.

Your father's hidden will had stated that if there was no one suitable to take care of you, you were to move to Seoul immediately to be under the watchful eye of his old friend, Park Dae Jun who happened to run a school and here you were. Under the watchful eye of Mr Park at his school in Seoul, homeless, family-less and hopeless. 

 

*Flashback ends* 

 

 

'Why...Why are you here? Aren't you supposed to be in Hong Kong?' 

'I'm on the run. Just like you were 10 years ago' 

'B-but, you're on their side!' 

'What does it matter to you anyway? You were dead apparently' 

'Tell me why. Why did your father tell them?!' 

'I would ask but he and mother were shot as well not long after what happened in London' 

'So why are you on the run?' 

'I ran when they all came to London to kill you all' 

'You're a ing idiot, Hyun Ki! They were all arrested when they returned to Hong Kong! You didn't need to leave' 

'Look. I'm here and so are you. I get you're angry-' 

'I'm ing furious! Your father traded his own family for money! He betrayed us all! Your father is the reason why I'm here stuck in this mess!' 

'My father died too!' 

'He deserved to!' 

'...What?' 

You began to cry. Not just tears coming down. Full blown ugly howling. 

'Haneul-ah, please. We've both been through so much-'

'Shut up. Did you see your parents dead corpses in front of you?! You have no right to speak.'

'B-but we used to be so close-' 

'Till you stayed behind in Hong Kong and gave everything away!' 

'Haneul, I'm really sorry for what my dad did-' 

'Forget it! You're dead to me, Hyun Ki! Okay?! I'm dead and you're dead! We're both dead just like our mothering families' 

'Haneul, I'm truly sorry for everything my dad did but I can't conjure up the dead and bring everyone back-' 

'Did I ask you to?! Stop trying to be so understanding. You grew up without us. You barely know your grandparents and cousins and aunties and uncles but you act as though you did see them during those 10 years we were apart! Just off, okay!?' 

'Haneul-ah, we're family. You're all I have' 

'No, Shin Hyun Ki. All my family died. They were blind folded and shot in the head under the command of 'Four' assisted by my uncle, your father Shin Kyu Hae. My brother and cousins were killed in a fire after being ambushed on their way back from Wales. All my real family are dead. I'm also dead and you're dead! Dead to me anyway!' 

'I-I...' 

'Leave! Get out of my sight! I don't want to see or hear anything about you ever!' 

'B-but we both live in Seoul and I'm bound to see y-' 

'Get the out of my sight, Hyun Ki!'

 

 

Your cousin swiftly left. Kris emerged from his hiding spot. 

'You, you heard everything?' 

Your throat was hoarse from all that screaming and sobbing.

'You can explain later, we have all night. First, cry on my shoulder. Let it all out.' 

You didn't think twice. 

 

 


Okay I couldn't take it. I love writing so much haha so when I leave it on a cliff hanger, I need to write about it! ALSO this is a special gift. I wasn't gonna write this one for a while but I'm celebrating my 200th subbie! Shall I tell you my inspiration for Haneul's history? This is actually what happened to my own family! (Minus the killing though) Only the running away to London to escape the drug people. I only found out last week so I thought: why not use it as a story line? ;) Though of course I made it waay more interesting for you guys. I wonder how you take to Hyun Ki. Depending on your reactions, I'll decide whether to include him in the plot or just have him as a one time appearance guy. 

EDIT: btw, this was all waaay before I was born. Like when my mum was 7