Break

Two Moons and A Dragon

 

That night, Kai went to the address given by the dean. It was on the other side of town where crime rate is high, goons ruled the streets, and the impoverish survives. Food stalls scattered everywhere leaving the air aromatic. Stray cats fight over crumbs in the trash.

As the cool wind flew, Kai pulled his hoodie over his head and snuck his hands in the pockets. His eyes moved from side to side trying to be alert and detect sudden movements.

He suddenly noticed a tall, well built man heading straight at him. “Are you lost or something?” the man asked in deep threatening voice. He seemed like the type who con people for a living and Kai knew it’s not a good idea to deal with him.

“Aniyo ahjusshi…” he stooped his head and side stepped to continue walking.

The man however blocked his path and stood just a meter away from him. “Don’t you know that lying is bad?” he smirked. “This is my street!” he sneered this time. “I know every person who passes here and I’m very sure you’re not one of them!”

Kai took a step back with widened eyes when the man pulled out a knife. Next thing he knows, a sharp cold metal poked the skin on his neck. “Either you hand me everything you have or leave this town with a hole in your gut!” he hissed.

The Exo member never felt threatened or scared. In fact, as he raised his head to meet the man’s gaze, an evil smirk formed on his face with eyes forming into slits. “I’m giving you a chance to lower your weapon, turn around, and walk away…” his hands curled into fists in his pockets. “Don’t make me repeat myself! SIR!” he sternly warned.

The man looked away for a bit and let out an amused chuckle. “Well what do you know? You’re not just a liar, but a cocky arrogant who’s full of himself…” the tip suddenly travelled down Kai’s neck. “You’re the first!”

‘ this! I’m not in the mood to talk right now!’ Kai rolled his eyes and instantly grabbed the man’s neck with one hand.

The mugger dropped the knife when he crashed against a wall and choked after Kai lifted him off the ground. “I warned you, didn’t I? You’re old enough to understand what I said but you’re more than stupid to ignore it!” he sneered.

“I-I’m…s-sorry…” the man gasped.

“What?” Kai tightened his grip and leaned closer. “I didn’t get it? What was that?”

All he could hear were wheezes and hands slapping his arm in hopes to break free from him. The man’s eyes started to roll back and his violent struggles slowed down.

“I’ll take that as an apology!” Kai dropped him.

As he curled on his side trying to catch every air he can get, Kai kneeled and raised the piece of paper in front of him. “Where is this place?” he hissed.

The thug frighteningly read the words and pointed the direction with a shaking finger. “J-Just…a…block…from here…”

“Good…” Kai stood and before leaving, he gave him some parting words. “If I ever see you robbing or threatening people again, I will make sure you won’t catch a breath anymore!” then landed a kicked on the man’s face, knocking him out. “Piece of !”

He snuck his hands back to his pockets and continued walking.

After following the direction, Kai stopped in front of an old hanok house that could topple down during a storm. ‘She lives here?’ he looked from side to side, and the number written on the door confirmed the address. ‘Well I’d be damned!’

Since not a single person strolled the street, Kai jumped and landed inside the premise. He ducked behind a wall while stealthily checking every corner.

That’s when he saw Krystal in her bedroom.

Kai peeked through a window and saw her sleeping. She was just like any another human, lying on her side, a blanket covered her from chest down, and something caught his attention.

Krystal hugged a picture frame with black ribbons on its corners. ‘Ehh?’  he tilted his head for a double take and narrowed his eyes on the image. ‘Is that her dad?’ As he looked up to her face, he was shocked to see how frail and gaunt she has become. She was no longer the epitome of beauty in Sehun’s eyes, but a person struck with depression.

Kai looked away and leaned against the wall while sitting on the ground. ‘Wait…’ he looked at the dark sky. ‘Black ribbon?’ he thought. ‘If black means death…and the image in the frame is her dad…’ his hands unknowingly crept up his mouth. ‘He passed away? Oh !’ he instantly stood and jumped away.

As he floated mid-air, Kai couldn’t help but think of all the possibilities. Krystal being the ninja slowly slips away. ‘Aish! This is so ed up! I gotta tell Luhan hyung!’

----------

Little did he know, Baekhyun was also on his way home for a very urgent news. If Kai was running out of luck, Baekhyun was full of it.

“Hyung!” Kai called him upon reaching the bakeshop.

“Kai! You’re here?” he stopped and turned.

“Hyung! I don’t think it’s Krystal!” Kai jogged to him.

“I don’t think so too…” Baekhyun replied, the younger was taken aback.

“Mwoh? W-Wae?” he stuttered.

“I’ll explain later… We should see Luhan hyung first!” Kai agreed.

They ran straight home with all the urgency in the world. Both guys were on the edge at the what they discovered and couldn’t wait to tell Luhan about it.

Just as they entered the fence, Suho, Kris, and Chen met up with them. “It’s great that you guys are here! There’s been an emergency!” Exo-M’s leader said, Kai and Baekhyun looked at each other. “You’re going with Chen to Mato right now!” he added.

“WHAT???” they chorused. “Why? Like, right now?” Kai asked, both leader nodded.

“I’m sorry but you guys have to go now! Yongguk and Xiumin needs all the help they can get!” Suho affirmed.

“Where’s Luhan hyung? Can’t we at least see him before we leave? It’s very important!” Baekhyun insisted.

“He went to the supermarket with Sehee… Sorry Baek! Whatever it is that you wanna tell him, I think that can wait…” Kris added.

“But hyung! You don’t understand, I need to see him!” he moved a step but Kris held his shoulder.

“Baek, please! Don’t make it harder for us!” Kris begged so he wavered.

Baekhyun took out a gold metal pin from his jacket pocket and gave it to Kris. “But can you please give this to him instead? He’ll know what to do with it…” he sighed.

“I will bro!” Kris patted his shoulder.

Kai on the other hand kept looking at the main door. “Is Seri home?”

Suho shook his head.

Kai dropped his head. “Tell her I love her, okay?”

“I will… Don’t worry… I’ll explain everything to her…” his leader assured.

“Thanks~” he murmured.

The leaders gave them comforting hugs and bid farewell. “You guys be careful, a’right?” Kris said.

Baekhyun and Kai were silent so it was Chen who replied for them “We will… Let’s go guys…”

Kris and Suho helplessly watch them disappear in the night sky. "Bro, I can't take this anymore! What the is going on at Mato? Why is this happening? URGH!" Kris fumed.

"Hyung... Relax..." Suho patted his back. "We have to keep it together! We can't give up now!"

Kris blew out an air and went back to the house, defeated and crushed.