Masks

Golden Quill - The Legacy (GQ2)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sung-kyung lifted the mask to her face. “You are Zara now.” Mr S also wore his mask. Gone was the sometimes caring older brother figure that provided advice, that sometimes smiled in moments of shared happiness, gone was the man with the angular features who brought hot chocolate to her room, and a slice of cake to share.

“I was always Zara, underneath it all.” She whispered and stared at her transformed reflection.

“Yes, if that helps." Mr S reached out a hand, it seemed unsteady, Sung-kyung waited, finally he laid it heavily on her shoulder, “Don’t do anything, I wouldn’t.” he whispered and stepped away as a tall shadow filled the doorway and there was the Madame. Returned from whatever hole that monsters retreat to in times of weakness.

“How wonderful you are,” The Madame stood behind her, laid both hands on her shoulders and smiled, a cruel twisting of the red lips, “You have done well to bring them back here.”

Sung-kyung knew better than to argue because it had not been her doing at all. There was something else that made Lee Jongin return. “Where is Mr Wu?”

“You need not concern yourself with the boy, now that I am back, I will take charge of this operation.”

Sung-kyung turned in her seat and slowly stood, “Has he done something wrong?”

“On the contrary, Mr Wu has performed according to my wishes. Exactly as I hoped he would.”

“Then I will see him again?” Sung-kyung was worried about the Madame’s return and what it meant for their once happy household, a dysfunctional one it may have been, but she had called it home.

“Sooner than you think my dear.” The Madame stepped back into the shadows of the room, “The doors open in 20, make sure you latch onto the Lee boy and never let go.”

Sung-kyung shivered as the Madame left and she was once again alone with Mr S, “What is your name?” she searched the man’s masked face in the mirror.

“I have no name. I lost it a long time ago.”

“Then you and I are the same Mr S.”

“But unlike me, you still have a chance.”

“A chance?”

“To save the ones you love. I am sure that list grows every day.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter