Ninety Seven

Blue Blossom

">

Suyun and Hanbi arrived at the radio station and were brought into the waiting room where the show producer came out and brought the girls a general outline of the show and the types of activities they were going to be doing. Things were going to have to change since the original people that Juhee was going to interview were younger rookies that would happily accept promoting on a radio show but because their management seemed inexperienced, they were over booked and weren’t able to come in. The production team seemed annoying that the guest backed out but were glad that veterans like Suyun and Hanbi had come in to save the day. After talking to the writers and production crew for thirty minutes, Hanbi and Suyun were finally brought into the recording booth where Juhee was happily sitting at the head of the large table with ginormous headphones on her head.

“Suyun unnie! Hanbi! Thank you so much for coming.” Juhee took off the headphones and happily waved to her friends. The girls just sat across from each other at the table and adjusted the microphones to the proper distance. “Wow, you guys seem unhappy.” Juhee muttered as she looked over the script again.

“Sorry Juhee. Hanbi just woke up and I am sort of thinking about other stuff at the moment.” Suyun looked around at the staff in the room and Juhee understood that she was talking about Leo. She just nodded her head and signalled that the show was going to start back up again soon. Suyun and Hanbi put their headphones on and listened to the end of a commercial that was promoting the show they were currently on.

“Welcome back my lovlies~” Juhee happily said into the microphone. “We are joined with two nobodies who look like they just crawled all the way from North Korea,” She said and Suyun threatened to throw a water bottle at her. “Just kidding! Oh my gosh you aren’t able to see this but one of the guests just tried to throw a water bottle at me. I want you to guess which one. Joining me today is none other than ‘Charm’ and ‘Love-E’ members Suyun and Hanbi, welcome~” The three girls clapped then Suyun and Hanbi introduced themselves as members of both groups. “Quick question, do you prefer to be members of Charm or Love-E? Be honest.”

“Well there are perks to being in both groups.” Hanbi said trying not to upset either fans by picking a side.

“What’s good about being in Love-E?” Juhee asked as she leaned forward in her chair.

“Well I get to spend every day with my best friends and we have fun constantly.” Hanbi said and Juhee gave her a high five.

“Then what are the perks of being in Charm?” Juhee looked to Suyun who slowly leaned forward.

“Money.” Suyun answered seriously and the two other girls burst out laughing.

“For those of you who don’t get it, the five of us decided when we first debut we would all split our money equally amongst us. But, recently we figured that what ever money we make on our individual schedules wont be split anymore so the profits from Charm were only split between Suyun unnie and Hanbi.” Juhee sighed heavily. “Suyun only thinks about money.” Suyun didn’t deny this and just nodded her head.

“Actually Suyun unnie donated all the profits from her single ‘Climbing Ivy’ to cancer treatment centres around Seoul.” Hanbi spoke up for Suyun who just shyly smiled out of embarrassment. Juhee then went on to boast for a solid minute about how Suyun was constantly giving her money away and buying things for the other members.

“I haven’t bought socks in years. Whenever I mention that I have a hole in a pair Suyun unnie just shows up with a giant bag full of socks claiming that they were all on sale. She then tells us all to take a few pairs and she gets the ugly ones that are left over.” Juhee said and Suyun scoffed.

“How can I let my friends walk around in wrecked socks?” Suyun spoke up and the two girls just smiled brightly at their friend who was adorable in their eyes.

“One day unnie, I will buy you really pretty socks. Anyways, there are questions here that we had made for the group that was supposed to come. Let’s look over them.” Juhee said as she held up a piece of paper with a long list of questions that she was supposed to ask the rookies. “Hanbi who is your ideal type?”

“Umm…I like tall men with straight black hair…” Hanbi was awkwardly fumbling with the question and looked to Suyun to bail her out but she just sat back and watched.

“So someone like Kim Woobin?”

“He’s very handsome.”

“Jonghyun from CNBlue is very tall.”

“Yes he is. Plus he plays guitar which makes him even cooler.”

“Isn’t Hongbin from VIXX fairly tall?”

“Everyone in VIXX is tall.” Hanbi glared at Juhee who smirked evilly.

“Yes but Hongbin is famous for being very handsome. He sounds like your ideal type.”

“Stop it! You know Hongbin and I are just friends.”

“Friends can turn into much more.” Suyun spoke up and Hanbi groaned in frustration.

“The fans know that Hongbin and I are just friends so stop trying to make things weird.” Hanbi scolded the older girls and Juhee just laughed wickedly at the way her friend squirmed by just asking a few questions.

“And Suyun unnie…I don’t need to ask you the same question.” Juhee stated and Hanbi just scoffed.

“W-What does that mean?” Suyun sat up straight in her chair and stammered with her words.

“Everyone knows what your type is~” Juhee happily said into the microphone. Suyun’s face burned bright red and she slouched into her chair, covering her face with her hands. The two other girls laughed as Juhee was clearly talking about Leo and how their relationship was now an accepted fact.   The show continued on for another thirty minutes with the two of them singing their title track from their Charm album and playing a few games which ended every time with Hanbi getting punished.

“Okay, now we are going to take some fan questions.” Juhee said as she was handed a piece of paper from one of the staff members who snuck in and out of the booth in a flash. She had been so quiet that she had startled Hanbi as she walked behind her to leave the room. “Okay the first question is ‘Suyun and Hanbi, what was the happiest moment of being a Love-E member and then what was the saddest moment?’ Wow it’s a two part question.”

“Do they mean when we were just promoting as Love-E or do they mean since the year we debuted until now?” Hanbi asked and Juhee said the latter.

“I’ll go first.” Suyun said as she finished taking a sip of her water. “The happiest moment was when we won our first award. I remember that we had worked so hard on that particular promotion and when we finally won we stood on stage and happily accepted the award and thanked the fans, but the moment we walked off of the stage we all started crying.” Suyun smiled happily as she thought back to that time. All of the girls gathered in a group and hugged each other as they all sobbed uncontrollably as Juhee clutched onto the trophy that they still had sitting proudly at their dorm. The other two girls nodded and talked about how Gayun and Ara cried the most and Suyun had to sit on the ground and hold Ara like a baby for an hour until she had calmed down.

“And now the saddest moment.” Juhee said as she tried to hurry it up so they could get to Hanbi who clearly had her answers ready.

“The saddest moment….um….My mother passed away right before we started promoting as Charm. She had been sick for a while and I had gone to visit her and talked to her regularly on the phone but I never really got to say a proper goodbye….I..uhh…I regret it every day that I couldn’t spend more time with her. She was my best friend and my biggest supporter and I just wish I could have done more for her as a daughter.” Suyun sniffled and wiped away the single tear that was rolling down her cheek. Juhee reached over and took Suyun’s free hand and squeezed it tightly to show her that she was there for her if she needed it. They then moved on to Hanbi and she answered the question.

“The happiest time for me personally was when we were filming our first music video. It took us maybe twenty hours in total to film and we were so physically and mentally exhausted but we still managed to have a good time somehow. We all ran around with this endless energy that all rookies have.” Hanbi was then teased that she sounded like an old woman when she was really just eighteen and didn’t have the right to talk about being tired and then Juhee went on to mock Suyun and how old she was.

“My saddest moment was when Suyun unnie and I were in that accident a while ago.” Hanbi said and Juhee nodded quickly as she knew exactly the sadness she was talking about. It went quiet for a few seconds before Hanbi realised that she was supposed to keep talking. “Right after the accident had happened I opened my eyes and looked over at Suyun unnie who was sitting beside me. She was knocked out and had blood on her face. I still vividly remember how her arm was bent at this impossible angle and how she was slouched in such a way that it didn’t look like she was breathing.” Hanbi’s voice started to waver as she told the story. Suyun hung her head; her hair falling in front of her face so none of them could see her crying. “I was sitting in this van completely terrified that one of my best friends was dead in the seat beside me.” Hanbi hiccupped and covered as she started to cry. Her shoulders shook as she tried to calm herself down to a point where she wouldn’t break down and sob.

“I’m sorry.” Suyun said and at that even Juhee had a hard time holding it together. “I’m sorry for dragging the team down….I’m so sorry that I am your painful memory…” Suyun covered her face and all of the girls were silent for a few seconds.

“Ah…It’s a good time to listen to another song.” Juhee introduced the next song and then they were given the all clear that they were off the air. Suyun burst out crying and the other two rushed to her side. Juhee had taken off her headphones and gave Suyun a back hug and rested her head on her shoulder. Hanbi walked around the table and knelt beside Suyun and rested her forehead on her lap as the three of them cried together. Suyun kept apologising and the other two couldn’t do anything but try to comfort her. When the show did start up again they all had to pretend as if they hadn’t been uncontrollably sobbing for the past three minutes.

For the last forty minutes of the show fans and casual listeners were sending in sweet messages to the girls to try and cheer them up as they could all tell that they were clearly shaken. They continued to answer more questions and even managed to laugh a few times. When the show ended Juhee thanked her friends for coming and promised to buy them dinner one day. Juhee had to stay behind as there was still two hours left where she had to help DJ the show but there would be someone else joining her to help carry the show since she was relatively inexperienced. Suyun and Hanbi walked out of the booth holding hands and were brought over to a wall with the radio shows logo on it. They posed in front of it and took pictures with their phones and with the studios camera so they could promote it more. Hanbi quickly uploaded the picture onto her twitter and instagram but Suyun had to be convinced to put in up on SNS since she really wasn’t fond of her large puffy eyes and makeup free face.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?” Hanbi said as their manager told her it was time to leave. Suyun nodded her head and the two girls stayed absolutely still. Their manager was telling them to move but the two girls didn’t want to be separated from each other. They hadn’t really talked about the accident or how they personally dealt with the trauma from it. Both of them just put on a smile and pretended that nothing was wrong besides the few injuries, but that was far from the truth. They were both still highly sensitive about the subject and Hanbi grew clearly anxious whenever they approached the intersection where the actual accident had occurred.

The two girls were close to start with but they grew even closer as friends during their preparations for their Charm debut. But because of the accident they grew to be each other’s pillars of support. Even though they never verbally talked about the accident and how it had traumatized them, they could now pick up on the other person’s emotions quicker and felt deeper empathy for each other. They weren’t just best friends now, they were like soul mates. It was hard for them to explain it to other people but they felt a deep connection and pain that brought them together in a way that the other girls just couldn’t understand.

“Come on Hanbi! It’s time to go.” Their manager scolded the younger girl who slowly loosened her grip on Suyun’s hand. They separated and Hanbi went off with her manager who had the van parked out front.

“Go to bed as soon as you get back to the dorm and make sure that Gayun gets home at a reasonable time, okay?” Suyun called out to Hanbi as she followed them outside. Hanbi nodded her head and jumped in the van which quickly sped off as the manager was in a rush to get back to the dorm and then come back to pick up Juhee. Suyun nodded as she saw the van rip out of the parking lot of the studio. She was startled when she heard the honk of a horn and she looked over to see a car pull up in front of her. Suyun took her back off of her shoulder and climbed into the car.

“Hey.” Leo leaned over and kissed her quickly on the lips. “I listened to the whole show.” He said awkwardly which was his special way of saying that he had heard them break down crying on the radio.

“Perfect.” She sighed and strapped herself in.

“It wasn’t that bad, I promise.” He reached over and grabbed her hand as he drove off towards their hotel room that he had booked for the night. Suyun laced their fingers together and tightly held onto his hand. The connection that she felt with Leo was much different than the one she felt with Hanbi and yet it was similar. Once again she felt a deep emotional connection but this time it came from a place of unconditional love and respect for the other person. This was something that had slowly built up over time and it would never falter or break. Even if they separated in the future, there would be a mutual connection between the two of them that would keep the connected. It was love; A love that people felt once in a life time and Suyun knew that. And yet it terrified her just how much she really loved Taekwoon and how she felt a certain fear that one day he wouldn’t feel that connection anymore and she would be left to suffer by herself in the public eye for everyone to judge her and criticize her. But she pushed through that fear and focused on the love and the happiness that he brought her on a daily basis and prayed that she could feel this way for the rest of her life.