Thirty Eight

Blue Blossom

Suyun had a long shower and changed into a sundress that he mother had bought her for her last birthday. It was chiffon that was a light shade of pink and had beautiful flowers around the bottom of it. With it she wore White and black high heels and a large sun hat that Zhu Li had left at their house. Suyun put on a little bit of makeup so she didn’t look like a wreck while visiting her mother.

Can I buy her flowers?” Suyun asked her father when she walked into the living room. He said it would be fine but he wanted to get to the hospital as soon as visiting hours started so Jason was given the task of driving Suyun around.

You’re lucky I’m such a cool older sister.” Suyun said as they sat in the car. Jason just rolled his eyes and drove to the florist while arguing with Suyun about who the coolest sibling was. The argument lasted all the way to the hospital and the siblings eventually had to agree that Daniel was the coolest. They walked into the hospital, with flowers in their hands ad awkwardly waddled their way up to the floor their mom was on.

I’m scared.” Suyun admitted and Jason just nodded his head in agreement. She felt terrible that Jason was the only one out of the Kim siblings that were there the day they found out she was sick. He was the baby of the family, he shouldn’t have to deal with something like this. Jason opened the door for Suyun and she cautiously walked into the room. She knew that cancerous was contagious but just stepping into the room made it feel like she was covered in disease. Hospitals had a strange way of making healthy people feel sickly.

“Sue! My babygirl!” Her mother called out in a raspy voice. Suyun’s mother was a petite woman in every sense of the word. Her arms and legs were slim and well defined from years of swimming. Her eyes were sharp like Daniels, her nose was sort and cute like Suyun’s and, her lips were thin and bright pink like Jason’s. Everyone in the family agreed that the three beautiful siblings all had their mothers looks which was a blessing since their mother was a beautiful woman in her youth meaning that they would continue to look good until they were dead in the ground.

Hey mommy.” Suyun forced her tears back as she looked at her mother lying in a hospital bed with her pyjamas on. Her normally healthily tanned skin was pale and ashy looking and her light brown eyes had heavy bags under them. The chemicals and illness were really taking their toll on her small body. Suyun went over to her mother and hugged her, being careful of the wires and tubes she was attached to. “Look at you. I was gone for a few months and you’ve gone and gotten yourself locked up in a hospital.”

Tell me about it. I’m not allowed to have a bath until some nurse comes by and helps me. I must look like a mess.” Her mother touched and fidgeted with her greasy hair that was sticking to her head.

No, no, no, mommy. You look the exact same.” Suyun grabbed her mother’s fussy hands and kept them down at her side since she didn’t want her to accidentally pull something out. “Jason will go and find a nurse for you okay?” Suyun said and then looked over her shoulder at Jason who was talking to his father who had planted himself down in a hair where he was most likely to stay for the rest of the day. When Jason saw her glare, he went off in search of a nurse to help his mom.

“So tell me about work! I saw your last song.” Her mother suddenly reached out and lightly slapped Suyun’s wrist. “You bad girl, I send you to another country and you just shake your bum in front of a camera.” Her mother jokingly scolded Suyun and they just laughed together. “Can you speak fluent Korean yet?” Her mother said in broke Korean. She was the only one in the whole family that could speak Korean but she just never bothered to teach it to her kids because she wanted to be fully immersed in America and its language.

“Yes mom, I can speak Korean. It would kind of hard for me to be a singer if I didn’t know what I was singing about.” Suyun rolled her eyes and her mother jokingly hit her again.

“Do you have a boyfriend yet?” Her mom asked and Suyun’s cheeks grew hot. “Yah, Kim Suyun. You’re Twenty three years old; you should have a boyfriend already. I gave you my good looks and God gave you the voice of an angel and you’re just wasting it all on getting money. You greedy girl.” Her mother was actually scolding her as her only wish was to see her daughter happily in love.

“I…do…have a…boyfriend..” Suyun’s eyes kept flittering over to her father who was reading the daily newspapers, not paying attention to his two girls who were speaking a language he knew nothing about.

“About time! Show me a picture of him.” Suyun’s mother motioned for her glasses on the side table and Suyun grabbed them for her. She then looked through her pictures and found one of the whole White team. Suyun pointed out Leo and explained to her that he was an idol like she was. Her mom then demanded to hear him sing so Suyun pulled up the video of Leo singings ‘Mirotic’ by TVXQ with BAPs Daehyun, Got7s Youngjae and BtoBs Eunkwang. Suyun had to keep pointing him out whenever he was on screen or whenever he sung.

“He looks like a gangster….look at his eyes….very sharp…” Her mother commented and Suyun had to stifle her laughter. She didn’t want to tell her mother that Leo was the softest spoken and gentile man she had ever met. “Who is this person?” Her mom pointed at Youngjae and she explained who he was and how he was in the same company as her. “What a good looking boy. He must be very smart.” Again Suyun had to stop herself from laughing. “And this boy? Daehyun? Ahhh~ So handsome. I would have dated him over your father.” Her mother laughed and Suyun just hung her head in shame. “Aigoo, who is this boy. He looks like a monkey!” Her mother loudly exclaimed when she saw Eunkwang. Suyun couldn’t hold it back anymore and burst out laughing and had to pause the video as she almost collapsed from lake of oxygen.

Ivy Kim?” A nurse came into the room wearing cheerful yellow scrubs.

Yes.” Her mother answered and the nurse came over and unhooked her from most of the wires, leaving only two in. Suyun’s father jumped out of his seat and held onto his wifes arm as she struggled to get out of the bed. Jason stood by the door and watched as his mother was put into a wheel chair and was taken away to get a bath. It broke Suyun’s heart to see her mother barely able to walk, but she was glad to see that her mother was able to keep her humour and sense of wit through everything. Thirty minutes later her mother came back feeling much better after her bath. She wanted Suyun to go and experience LA for the short time she was there but before she left she wanted to see the whole video of Leo singing. They silently watched the video together and when it was all said and done her mother nodded her head, said she approved but she wanted to see Leo act cuter since he had such a scary face.

“I’ll tell him that.” Suyun said with a weak laugh. Truthfully she didn’t want to leave her mother but she knew that she was being asked to leave because she was about to undergo another round of chemo and that she didn’t want her children to see her sick and exhausted.

Let’s go~” Jason called out as he left the room. Suyun followed out after him as the two headed back to the house to pick up Daniel who had been working on his latest book. Suyun pulled out her phone and decided to share the news with Leo.

To: Taekwoon~Oppa~
I will be back in no time! We will have our date I promise~
By the way, my mother approves of you. She said you have a scary face so you need to act cuter or else no one will like you.

To: My SuSu
I’m glad you’re mom likes me! I won’t act cute. Sorry. Can’t make me. Merong~

To: Taekwoon~Oppa~
Aigoo~ I have such a childish boyfriend~ Pity me~

To: My SuSu
Deal with it.