Pretend this didn't Happen

Map to My Heart

"Woohyun is going to pick you up right?" Donghae asked when they were outside the hospital.

"Yeah.. I'll just walk to the town center from here and he will come there.." Seungyeon lied.

"Okay.. well good night. Was good too see you again. Don't worry about Jonghyun too much. I'm sure he will be okay." Donghae said and walked to his car.

"Good night Seungyeon." Jong Suk said too and headed to his car also.

"Night." Seungyeon said and started walking, she walked towards one park, pretending that she was walking away from the hospital.

 

But behind the trees she watched how Donghae and Jong Suk drove away from the hospital, then after a while she sneaked back inside the hospital.

 

As Seungyeon was walking towards Jonghyun's room again she saw a boy around 10 years old who was sitting on a bench looking bored.

As Seungyeon passed him she heard him mumbling.

"It's so boring.. when is Jonghyun hyung going to teach me how to play pool again...." the boy mumbled loud enough for Seungyeon to hear.

 

Seungyeon stopped. Jonghyun? Maybe he is talking about Jonghyun?

 

"Hi." Seungyeon smiled and sat down beside the boy.

He stared at Seungyeon for a while. "Hi.."

"Is it boring?" Seungyeon asked.

"Yes.. It's so boring I could die!!" the boy pouted.

"I heard you talking about some hyung. Is that hyungs name Kim Jonghyun?" Seungyeon asked carefully.

"Noona, you know Jonghyun hyung too?" the boy exclaimed.

"Maybe.." Seungyeon replied.

 

"Have you known Jonghyun for a long time?" Seungyeon asked him.

"Hmmm... well I've known him since he came here.. maybe three months. Jonghyun hyung is the coolest hyung in this hospital, everyone else is so boring.." the boy said.

"Oh.. three months." Seungyeon said silently. "Do you know why Jonghyun is sick?"

 

The boy smiled widely. "Jonghyun hyung and I are the same. We both have leukemia. My mom gave me and hyung a nickname too.. The cool brothers who will beat leukemia!" he said proud to be same with Jonghyun.

 

Seungyeon froze and stared at the boy in shock. Leukemia..Is he really talking about the same Jonghyun as I am...?

 

Seungyeon gulped. "Then can you show me where Jonghyun's room is?"

"Of course!" the boy said happily and got up. Seungyeon followed the boy.

 

Every step Seungyeon took made her more and more scared that the boy had been talking about the Kim Jonghyun she knew, the Kim Jonghyun she still loved so much.

 

"Here. Jonghyun hyung's room!" the boy pointed at a door happily stopping in front of it.

Seungyeon stared at the door in shock, it was the same room where the doctors had brought Jonghyun earlier.

 

Jonghyun.. has leukemia?!

She felt her whole world collapsing at that moment. He has been here for three months... that means that he never went to Italy. But was here.. he lied to me about everything.. Jonghyun has leukemia... no.. this can't be.

 

Slowly Seungyeon started walking towards the toilets.

 

"Noona.. where are you going?" the boy yelled after Seungyeon.

"I... just..." Seungyeon couldn't answer the boy. She went in the toilet and closed the door, she stared at her own image from the mirror.

 

Jonghyun... why didn't he tell me? He has leukemia.... Is he going to die?

Seungyeon crouched down and burst out crying. This can't be true?

 

-----------------------------------------

 

Seungyeon waited at the hospital until it was really late at night, she wanted to see Jonghyun but she wanted to make sure Key was away.

She was slowly starting to get over the first shock and had calmed down a little bit.

 

Maybe Key is gone now? Seungyeon sneaked towards Jonghyun's room as quietly as she could. She stood in front of the door for a moment then slowly tried opening the door, it was open so she quietly went inside.

 

She looked around at the room that was now dark. There was only Jonghyun sleeping on his bed peacefully.

 

Seungyeon walked towards him slowly. The sight of the sleeping Jonghyun made her melt, just like so many times before when she had seen Jonghyun sleeping.

 

Seungyeon sat down on the chair that was beside his bed and looked at his features. Why didn't you tell me Jonghyun?

 

Slowly tears started falling down her eyes, falling on Jonghyun's hand as she was leaning towards him.

 

Suddenly Jonghyun woke up from his sleep, he opened his eyes slowly and the first thing he saw was a familiar figure crying beside him.

Jonghyun slowly lifted his hand and touched Seungyeon's hand that was on his bed. Seungyeon lifter her head up.

 

"Don't cry." Jonghyun said as he reached over and wiped her tears.

 

It broke his heart that Seungyeon was sitting in his hospital room crying, over him. No words were spoken for a while as they silently looked at each other in the eyes.

 

If she's crying over me fainting imagine what will happen when she knows the truth. I'm sorry, but I need to let you go.

 

"Seungyeon," Jonghyun slowly sat up. "Call Woohyun and tell him to come pick you up. I just fainted from exhaustion. I'll be out of the hospital by morning, so go home." Jonghyun smiled trying to sound convincing.

"You're lying." Seungyeon looked down and whispered.

Jonghyun stood shocked. "What?"

"You're lying and I know it." Seungyeon looked up. "I love you Jonghyun and I know when you're lying. I love you so I know when you're hurting and when you're happy. And right now you're not happy and neither am I." Seungyeon began tearing up, so she took a deep breath. "I heard something outside your room and I want you to tell me the truth about it. Do you have leukima?"

 

Jonghyun froze. The secret he's been trying so hard to keep was out.

 

How did you know? You're not supposed to know. Oh god, what am I supposed to say now?

 

Jonghyun looked to the side. "You're wrong. I don't have leukimia." Jonghyun replied trying not to let the tears threatening to fall fall out.

"Then did the little boy outside lie to me?" Seungyeon asked trying to read his face. "Did he lie that you were here for three months instead of being in Italy? Did he lie about the both of you having leukimia and being called the cool brother's who'll beat leukima?"

 

Jonghyun said nothing. He gripped the blanket hard.

 

"Jonghyun. Tell me. Please." Seungyeon begged.

"Fine! Yes I have leukimia!" Jonghyun faced Seungyeon tears falling down his face. "Now go to Woohyun who can give you happiness that I can't! Now go!"

 

Jonghyun got off his bed and turned Seungyeon around towards the door.

 

"Go!" Jonghyun pushed her.

 

Seungyeon felt the push, but only took a step foreword. She felt the weakness in his push. She didn't dare to move.

 

If I leave now. I'll never be able to face Jonghyun.

 

"Go please." Jonghyun begged. "Go now."

Seungyeon turned around and hugged him. "I'm not going anywhere. I love you."

 

Seungyeon gently kissed his lips before returning to hug him. Jonghyun returned the hug and broke down in Seungyeon arms. It was the place he wanted to be the whole time. Where he wanted to run to when he was afraid and the place he felt safe.

 

I'm sorry Seungyeon. Let me be selfish just this once.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Things had calmed down. Jonghyun sat on the bed while Seungyeon sat on the chair next to him. Jonghyun held her hand and didn't release it. They sat in silence content that they had just made up. Jonghyun had already told her everything that happened to him and that the doctors told him he could probably leave in a year. Seungyeon also had told him everything that had happened, but she didn't mention the baby.

 

"So, now what?" Jonghyun asked.

"What do you mean?" Seungyeon questioned him back.

"I mean you're here and I'm here like this." Jonghyun held up their hands. "We probably owe everyone an explanation and apology, especially to Woohyun, but I think he's going to kill me by the way you said he was protective of you. Should we not tell him? Should we just run away?" Jonghyun joked.

"Jonghyun!" Seungyeon playfully slapped him.

"I'm kidding. I owe a lot to him. Again I'm sorry." Jonghyun apologized for the millionth time.

"I told you stop apologizing already. You did what you thought was right." Seungyeon forgave him for the millionth time.

"But-"

"No buts." Seungyeon shushed him.

 

Jonghyun pouted. He glanced at her stomach.

 

"I've been wondering. Who's the father?" Jonghyun pointed to her stomach.

"Why? Curious?" Seungyeon asked.

 

Jonghyun silently nodded.

 

"If it's Woohyun's I... don't know what to do or say.... But is it?" Jonghyun asked.

"What? I didn't understand you." Seungyeon teased.

Jonghyun took a deep breath. "Is the baby mine or Woohyun's?"

Seungyeon stayed silent for a moment, wanting to create some suspension. She put on a very serious face.

 

"I don't know... if I should tell this to you right now. You're so weak and all..." Seungyeon said.

Jonghyun stared at Seungyeon then turned his head away, already feeling disappointed and sad thinking that she was going to say it was Woohyun's.

 

He took a deep breath. ".... it's okay. Just tell me.."

"Well... it's been already much more than four months that I've been pregnant.. I wonder whom I was with that time?" Seungyeon tapped her chin teasing Jonghyun.

 

Jonghyun thought back. More than four months.. there is no way she could have been with Woohyun that time right... there was only me and her!

 

Jonghyun grabbed Seungyeon's hand. "Seungyeon i-is it that t-h-at ...I ... the father...it could be-- I mean the baby--" he stuttered.

 

Seungyeon smiled and touched her stomach gently. "Your dad is acting kind of strange now isn't he? But he has a nice voice right? Even though he is mumbling some strange things I don't understand." Seungyeon spoke to her baby.

 

"You mean. I am the father?" Jonghyun asked taking a deep breath.

Seungyeon smiled widely and nodded.

 

"I-I-I am the father..." Jonghyun stuttered. Slowly a shocked yet really happy and relieved smile spread on Jonghyun's face. I'm the father.. not Woohyun.

 

"You are the father." Seungyeon said gently and hugged Jonghyun. She then looked at Jonghyun and his hair gently. "But you know what you should do now?"

 

Jonghyun looked at Seungyeon.

 

"You should go back to sleep. You look like you might collapse any moment again because I told you that." Seungyeon chuckled.

"I will.. but you will sleep here with me right? The bed should be big enough for the both of us. Or for the three of us.." Jonghyun said glancing at her stomach. He wanted to keep Seungyeon close to him now that she was here finally.

 

Seungyeon nodded and laid down beside Jonghyun. Jonghyun gently wrapped his arms around Seungyeon and closed his eyes.

 

----------------------

 

Next morning right away when Woohyun woke up he went to Seungyeon's room. He had been sick of worry the whole evening because Seungyeon had not came early enough, he had tried and wait for her but had fell asleep on the couch as he had been waiting.

 

"Seungyeon, you awake?" Woohyun knocked on the door. There was no answer so he opened the door carefully. "I'm coming in."

 

He froze and stared at Seungyeon's bed that was empty in a shock.

Where is she? Didn't she come home last night?!

 

Woohyun ran around the house searching for Seungyeon. He went to the kitchen and saw his grandmother.

"Grandma, did you see Seungyeon this morning?" Woohyun asked.

"No." she shook her head. "Isn't she still sleeping?"

 

"But she is not...." Woohyun was getting more and more worried. What if something happened to her? Where is she? I don't think she went to sleep at Donghae's house or anything... it's so far away.. omo what if something really horrible happened to her?! She must be okay!!!

 

Woohyun quickly put on his jacket and shoes and ran out the door to search for Seungyeon outside.

 

While he was running towards the town center he tried to call Seungyeon but her phone was off.

What is this? Why did she turn off her phone? Something must've really happened?

 

Woohyun dialed Jihyun's number and called her in panic.

 

"It's me Woohyun. Is Seungyeon with you now?" He asked.

"No she's not here... why?" Jihyun asked.

"Not there..." Woohyun cried out and hung up the phone before Jihyun could say anything more.

 

Omo what to do? What to do? She is not with Jihyun!! What if something happened to her when she was on her way back home..

 

He was just running around when he noticed the hospital.

What if something happened and she had to go to the hospital? I hope not.. but maybe I should check.

 

Woohyun ran to the hospital almost dying of worry for Seungyeon and the baby.

Woohyun quickly ran to the front desk. "Is Han Seungyeon a patient here?"

"I me check." The lady typed into the computer. "No sir. I'm sorry."

 

Relief briefly filled his chest.

 

"Thank you." Woohyun said and looked around.

 

If she's not here where is she? Did she get lost?

 

Just as Woohyun was about to exit the hospital he saw Key and Jong Suk coming inside. He quickly hid.

 

Why are they here? Unless...

 

Woohyun followed them carefully trying not to get caught. They went into a room. Woohyun ran to the door. He read the patient tag. Kim Jonghyun.

 

Woohyun's eyes widened. His worst fear may be coming true. Slowly he opened the door.

Woohyun took a deep breath and peeked inside. Key and Jong Suk's back were blocking the view but he saw Jonghyun sitting on a bed, someone was sitting beside him.

 

Please no.. please don't let it be Seungyeon.. Woohyun prayed.

 

Just then Jong Suk moved so that Woohyun could clearly see who was sitting beside Jonghyun.. it was Seungyeon.

 

Woohyun felt as if his heart stopped for a moment. He stared at her shocked. No!! Seungyeon!!

 

Woohyun closed his eyes and closed the door slowly. How is Jonghyun here? And why is Seungyeon here with him? Did Jonghyun tell her everything? Did Seungyeon tell him everything? No... this can't be happening.

 

Slowly all the jealousy, frustration and anger grew inside Woohyun again.

Jonghyun asked not ever to find him again.. he asked me to take care of Seungyeon and love her.. never to tell her anything. Then what is this? They are together like that again? She wasn't supposed to find out about Jonghyun.. I kept my word to take care of her but Jonghyun didn't, he appeared in her life again like this!

 

Woohyun clenched his fists and took a deep breath then opened the door and walked in. "Seungyeon." he said.

 

Everyone turned to look at him.

"Don't you have any idea how worried I was, you didn't come home last night." Woohyun stared straight at Seungyeon. Seungyeon felt as if she was burning under his stare.

Woohyun then turned to look at Jonghyun. "Why are you here Jonghyun? I thought you were in Seoul or Italy or where ever you were. And why is Seungyeon here too, you hurt her so bad yet now you sit here like nothing happened huh?!"

 

"Woohyun... it's not like that. Jonghyun told me everything.. he didn't leave me for that other girl. It's not like that.." Seungyeon said trying to calm him down.

 

So she know the whole truth now.. Woohyun felt himself sinking in despair. He knew that if Seungyeon knew the whole truth, there would be no way she would leave Jonghyun's side again.. there was no way she would become his.

 

Woohyun stared at Seungyeon in silence for a moment. "How is the baby... does he know about it too?" he asked already fearing the worst.

Seungyeon nodded.

 

"The baby is your's right?" Jong Suk asked Woohyun as he didn't know anything.

Woohyun didn't say a thing but turned his head away from Seungyeon. He hoped so badly that the baby would have been his.

 

"It's not... it's Jonghyun's.." Seungyeon said silently.

"What?!" Jong Suk exclaimed.

"Jonghyun's baby?!" Key asked staring at Seungyeon wide eyed too.

 

Woohyun couldn't take it any longer, he ran to Jonghyun and grabbed his collar. "You...... you told me that I should take care of Seungyeon. That she should never see you again!!! If you weren't going to keep your word then why did you write such letters to me!? Why did you meet her like this again?! It was starting to go so well.. but you....."

 

"Woohyun, stop that. Jonghyun is sick." Seungyeon said afraid Woohyun would hurt Jonghyun.

"I know!" Woohyun yelled and roughly released Jonghyun off his grip.

Jonghyun slowly sat up. He turned to Woohyun and bowed as low as he could.

 

"I'm sorry." Jonghyun didn't look up. "I didn't think things would work out like this. I thought that if I met her yesterday and fully explained my lie so that she'd believe it more that she's stop thinking about me and go to you. I didn't think that the windy weather would make me faint and nearly die right in front of her yesterday. Maybe I should have die."

 

Woohyun quickly grabbed Jonghyun's collar. Key and Jong Suk tried to pry him of Jonghyun.

 

"Don't think that." Woohyun released him. "I'm mad at you for breaking your promise, but I don't wish death on you. I don't want you to die either."

 

Jonghyun looked down. Seungyeon looked at Woohyun surprised. She didn't think that Woohyun would say that.

 

Silence filled the hospital.

 

Woohyun was the first one to speak. "I'm going to pretend that this didn't happen, but you hurt her again. I'll... you'll... just don't do it."

 

Woohyun clenched his fists and breathed hard. He couldn't look at Jonghyun or Seungyeon.

 

I'll let you get away with toying with me just because you're sick. I probably would have done the same as you if I was in your place.

 

"Just give me time to adjust again." Woohyun headed towards the door.

"Wait." Jonghyun called him. "Come back when you're ready. I really need to talk to you alone."

 

Woohyun glanced back from the corner of his eyes and left the room. Key looked at Jonghyun and Seungyeon.

 

"I know this is a bad time, but what are you two going to do about the baby?" Key asked. "You're both still college students and not married. And as much as I don't want to mention this I have to, but Jonghyun you're sick."

 

Jonghyun looked at Seungyeon as she looked back at him. Jonghyun grabbed her hand.

 

"Seungyeon's healthy and I don't want her to go through abortion." Jonghyun said confidently. "As for money, when I'm healthy I'll fine a way to support her... But if I die... my life insurance will go to her as well as my savings and everything I have."

"Hyung you're just saying that you didn't think about it." Key told him.

"I did yesterday when I found out, after she fell asleep." Jonghyun said. "I can't do much now but I'll get better and I'll be able to do things on my own again. I have another reason to fight now." Jonghyun smiled at Seungyeon. "I'll probably have to burden you two a bit more after the baby's born, but I'll make it up to you. Plus..." Jonghyun's voice got to a whisper. "This is the last opportunity I have to have my own kid."

"Could you say it louder?" Key asked.

 

Jonghyun took a deep breath.

 

"This is the last opportunity I have to have my own kid." Jonghyun said loudly. "It's my last chance to have my own child that's blood related to me. Because of the treatment and medicine I'm taking now I can't have my own kids any more. I'm infertile now." Jonghyun said sadly. "So please let me have this last opportunity. I'll be the best dad that anyone can be. And if I die then they'll be someone with the blood of Kim Jonghyun living in the world and I won't be forgotten. Please." Jonghyun begged.