Chapter 54

Change

 

~At the court; 31st January; New York~

“All rise,” the man said. We all stood up and waited for judge to sit down. I glanced over to Jason who was looking down.

“Prisoner Jason Phillips and his lawyer, please stand up.” Judge said – woman in her 30’s. We did so. She looked at him and then at me. “Miss Cho welcome back.” She smiled.

“Thank you,” I lightly bowed with head. Then she looked back at Jason, saying: “Jason Phillips, prisoner 081295, is accused of murdering over 50 women in last 10 years. Do you have anything to say?”

I looked at him, feeling his nervousness. He glanced at me with an angle of left eye and I only nodded. He took a deep breath and looked at judge.

“Guilty,” he said. Judges eyes widened as well as the eyes of others.

“O-okay,” she muttered and then looked at papers, which were in front. “You may sit.” She quietly added. We sat down and looked at each other quietly letting a sigh out.

“Why is everyone talking?” Jason asked curious.

“This is the first case that prisoner admitted that he’s guilty right away.” I explained.

“Lawyers please step forwards.” Judge suddenly said. I stood up and walked to her together with other lawyer, prosecutor Alexander Smith; Mo Nii’s father.

“Yes your honor?” We both asked as we reached her.

“There are some mistakes in these papers, perhaps …” she muttered and then looked at appa “On what matter are you suing Mr. Phillips?” asking.

“Because Cho So Min was suffering and he was torturing her after they broke up.” He answered.

“And…why are you defending him Miss Cho?” she asked, obviously looking confused.

“Because I’m the only victim that survived; and he told me his background story.” I explained.

“Normally people would be furious about him, but this case is the first that victim, in this case you Miss Cho, is defending prisoner, in this case Mr. Jason.” She stopped a little and then our eyes met again. “Are you really sure you can do this, according to your health state?” she asked worriedly. “I heard you don’t have much time left …” she added.

“Bwoh?” appa’s eyes widened. “What do you mean by that, your honor?” he asked.

“It appeared again,” I started and looked at him. “But it doesn’t matter right now. We have a case.” I ended smiling and looked back at judge. “I’ll be fine,” I added. She lightly nodded and let a quiet sigh out.

“Okay, we’ll take breaks every now and then so you don’t have to worry.” She smiled. We both lightly nodded and went back to our seats.

“What were you talking about?” Jason asked, curious as always.

“Nothing,” I smiled at him, chuckling. Then I looked at appa, seeing him looking at me. I lightly nodded and the long day started.

“I object!” I said loudly and stood up. “Your honor,” I looked at her. “We’re not here talking about ual life we had.”

“Accepted,” she said and looked back at appa. He apologized and went on his next question.

We were arguing, deciding, listening, objection and everything else, till it was already late in the evening.

“We will continue next week.” Judge said, stood up and left the court.

“Thank you, So Min.” Jason smiled, before he was pulled away by cops. I smiled and grabbed my papers to put them into my suitcase.

“So Min,” I heard appa’s voice from in front.” I looked up and saw him standing in front of me with his suitcase in his hands.

“Dae?” I smiled.

“Do you have time?” he asked. I lightly nodded, but right then the judge came back in.

“Do you both have time?” she asked, looking at both. We glanced at each other and nodded. “Good, she smiled and we started walking out, after the court was already empty.

“So So Min,” she started as we were sitting in a restaurant, waiting for our food. “How are you doing?” she asked. I smiled a little and took a sip of my juice.

“You already know about it, Anna.” I said and then looked at appa. “My health is worse than it was.” I started. “I only have a year and half left.”

His eyes widened, as well as Anna’s.

“My only plans are, at least make Jason free for a while, so he can experience what freedom really is. And at least I want to make them happy.” I smiled. “But let’s not talk about this.” I quickly added and looked at Anna. “How is it showing?” I asked.

“Well,” she started thinking. “There is a chance that he’ll get a quick death.” She looked at me. “Sorry, but somehow the jury already decided.”

“I knew this would happen…” I muttered and tapped my chin. “But is there a chance that he could get free, for at least few weeks or months?” I asked and looked at her again.

“I don’t know the results so I’m not saying anything.” Anna answered.

“I see,” I smiled and then looked at appa whose face was frozen. No wonder he was so quiet. I thought. “Appa,” I called.

No response.

“Xander,” Anna called him. Then he flinched and looked from one to another. We both started laughing.

“What?” he asked confused.

“Nothing,” I waved with hand; and right then my phone rang with Mr. Simple of Super Junior, but in chipmunk version. I looked at it and saw Donghae’s number and his picture. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh2EWMcmQwQ

“Donghae,” I picked up. Anna and appa started talking to themselves. “Did you enjoy in sightseeing New York with guys?” I asked with a big smile on.

It was okay, but it would have been better if you were with us.” He said sadly.

Aigoo~” I sang smiling. “Don’t worry, we’ll have one week for us, so we’ll do whatever you want.” I said.

Jinja?” asked Donghae, suddenly sounding exited.

Jinja,” I nodded giggling.

Then it will be your favorite week.” He smirked.

I’m looking forward to it.” I said in seductive voice.

You better do.” He said happily. “When will you come back?” He quickly added.

In an hour, two…” I muttered thinking. “I’m not sure,

I’ll wait for you~” he sang.

Aniyo, just go to sleep. I know you’re tired.” I said.

Aniyo~” he whined.

Donghae, I won’t argue with you.” I said, somehow sounding sad; of course only acting.

Ne~” he whined again, giving up.

Rest well,” I smiled happily and whispered: “Saranghae~

Saranghae,” he said back and both hanged up. Looking back at Anna and appa I joined their conversation, talking about future cases and also about our life.

“It was nice to talk with you again, So Min.” Anna smiled and hugged me.

“It was,” I smiled and hugged her back.

“See you next week,” appa shook his hands with me. I nodded and smiled. We all went in our own ways to our cars. I sat in, started engine and drove to our hotel, where we were staying. Before I reached the hotel, it passed one hour, so it was already 12am when I came; and before I came to 12th floor it passed another thirty minutes, because there were people coming in and out almost on every floor.

I took the card, for our hotel room, out of my wallet and opened the doors with it. Everything was dark.

I forgot to mention; Kyuhyun somehow decided that Donghae and I are together in one room, while he and Sungmin were in one; Eunhyuk and Leeteuk were together, and Zhou Mi and Henry were together, while Siwon was in his own room.

Donghae and I: room 1201

Sungmin and Kyuhyun: room 1207

Eunhyuk and Leeteuk: room 1208

Zhou Mi and Henry: room 1209

Siwon: room 1206

Why we were on the other side of the hallway … rooms from 1202 – 1205 were full already. Of course overprotecting brother was against it at first, but then he agreed on it.

(A/N: Talking in Korean)

I undressed my jacket and took my shoes off. I tiptoed into our room, seeing Donghae already sleeping. A smiled crossed my face and left to the bathroom to take a shower.

After I showered I walked back into room and snuggled in the bed.

“So Min,” Donghae murmured my name and turned to me, putting his hand over my waist. I smiled and kissed his nose, making him pouting.

“I’m back,” I smiled and closed my eyes, slowly falling asleep.

~Donghae’s POV; in the morning~

Slowly opening my eyes, I saw a black haired girl, recognizing So Min. I looked on my phone, which was on the night locker, and it was already 10am.

“Aish,” I cursed and looked back at So Min who was still sleeping quietly. “Mianhaeyo, I fell asleep.” I whispered and kissed her forehead.

“That’s why you’ll call for breakfast…” I suddenly heard voice. She looked up at me and grinned. I chuckled and pinched her cheek with my right hand.

“What about you, huh?” I asked.

“I’ll be sleeping for a little longer.” She smiled.

“You’re still feeling tired?” I asked worriedly.

“Ne, but don’t worry. It’s just that I overworked yesterday.” She bit her lip. She was lying. She didn’t overworked, it her health that makes her tired.

“Okay,” I smiled and drove off my dark thoughts, kissing her. “Rest a little more. I’ll call for breakfast so don’t worry.” I said and slowly stood up from bed. After I looked back at her she was already back sleeping. “That was quick,” I laughed and walked out.

“Donghae!” Eunhyuk suddenly ran into room yelling my name.

“Yah shut it!” I hissed and hit his head.

“Waeyo?” he pouted, but then he realized. “Oops?” he smiled awkwardly, but it was already too late.

“Is everything okay?” So Min’s quiet voice came from the doors. As soon as Eunhyuk saw her, his jaw dropped. I hit his head again and smiled at So Min who was wearing my big white T-shirt.

“Everything’s okay,” I smiled and kissed her forehead. She wrapped her arms around me and hugged me.

“I’m just going out …” Eunhyuk muttered and walked out, closing doors behind.

“Feeling better?” I asked and looked at her, tilting her chin.

“Ne,” she said smiling, but I could see that she was still exhausted.

“Aigoo,” I muttered and sighed.

“B-bwoh?” she asked confused.

“You can’t lie to me, So Min.” I said, looking straight into her eyes. “Admit it, you’re still tired.”

“Mianhaeyo,” she muttered. “I just want to spend this week with you.”

“And by spending the week with me doesn’t mean that you have to wake up early and go to bed late. We’ll go to bed whenever we’ll want …” I said. “Understand?” I asked. She lightly nodded. “Good,” I smiled and kissed her.

~Eunhyuk’s POV~

“Hyung~” I called for Leeteuk, who was in the kitchen eating his breakfast.

“Dae?” he asked and looked up at me.

“Wae exactly are we here?” I asked, suspecting something.

“On vacation?” asked Leeteuk back.

“Don’t lie!” I pouted. “Wae are we here?” I repeated again and sat in front of him, looking straight into his eyes.

“Aish,” he sighed and leaned back. “So Min told me to not tell anyone … Mianhae,” he smiled and tried to take another bite, but I took his breakfast away. “Yah, give my lunch back!” he hissed.

“Aniyo! Until you don’t tell me the reason why we’re really here, I won’t give your breakfast back!” I said and took one bite, making him glaring at me.

“Wae do you want to know?” he asked and leaned his chin on his hands.

“I just saw her and she seemed tired even more than she was.” I answered. “Now say it …” I added.

“Mianhae, can’t say.” He said again and stood up, leaving kitchen.

“Yah, what about your breakfast!?” I yelled after him.

“You can eat it; I’m already full.” He said from his room.

~Sungmin’s POV~

“Hyung~” Kyuhyun suddenly called. I slowly opened my eyes and saw him right in front of me looking me straight into my eyes.

“Dae?” I smiled.

“Want to play a game with me?” he asked, now smiling as well.

“Let me guess … Starcraft?” I asked and sat up.

“Ne,” Kyuhyun nodded smiling.

“Do you have any other game than Starcraft? Like GTA or something like that?” I asked.

“Aniyo,” he waved with hand. “Only Starcraft,” he said and grabbed my hand. “Let’s play,” he said and pulled me out of bed, making me go after him.

“Did you at least eat your breakfast?” I asked again, but somehow I already know the answer, before he could answer. “First, we will eat and then we’ll play. If you want to play with me, you’ll have to eat first.” I said strictly.

“You sound just like So Min,” he murmured to himself.

“What did you say?” I asked and pulled him around so we were looking at each other’s eyes.

“Nothing …” he murmured again. I chuckled and walked ahead of him into kitchen.

~Henry’s POV~

“Let’s go to that shop!” Zhou Mi pointed at another shop.

“Mimi, we’re already walking for like …” I stopped and looked on the phone. “Oh dear god … for hours!” I yelled and stomped after him into shop.

“Can’t I enjoy shopping while I’m in USA?” he asked, chuckling as he was looking at clothes. I only shook my head and watched him, while I was already holding some of his bags in my both hands.

“What do you think on this dress?” he suddenly asked as the light blue dress took my eyes away from anything else.

“For So Min?” I asked and smiled.

“Ne,” he nodded, smiling as well.

“I think it would suit her, since she has blue eyes and black hair, which goes along really well.” I smiled widely.

“Hold it, I’m going to try some other clothes …” he said and put the light blue dress on my shoulder, while he walked away with his trousers and shirts into cabin. I stared after him in disbelief, but oh well … this is Zhou Mi we’re talking about; so I just smiled and walked around while I was looking at clothes.

~Siwon’s POV~

“Where was it again?” I muttered to myself as I was walking down the street in New York. “I got lost …” I sighed and face palmed.

E-excuse me,” A young girls voice said, poking me for my jacket. I looked at her and saw a light brunette girl with brown eyes looking at me.

Y-yes?” I asked a little nervous.

A-are you looking for church?” she asked.

Y-yes,” I nodded. Suddenly, she grabbed my hand and pulled me to walk after her. “W-where are we going?” I asked looking around.

To church,” she said and looked at me smiling as we continued walking. I smiled lightly and let her do as she wished and soon enough, we were already standing in front of church.

Here it is,” she smiled and pointed at it.

Thank you,” I smiled back and lightly bowed. Then she walked to her mom and dad who were calling her. Before she walked inside, she looked back at me and waved. I smiled again and waved back at her, going after people inside the church.

~Seoul, South Korea; Ryeowook’s POV~

“Heechul~” I called and walked into his room.

“Knock before you come in!” he said and threw a pillow at me. I bowed down and stuck my tongue out, but then second pillow hit me, making me fall to the ground. “I won’t be fooled by same trick, Wookie.” Heechul laughed and helped me stand up, offering his hand. I laughed back and took his hand and stood up.

“I have to make another way so you won’t hit me next time.” I joked.

“You better do.” Heechul laughed again. “You wanted to say something …” he suddenly said.

“Oh yeah,” I remembered and started thinking what was I trying to say. “I forgot …” I muttered and scratched my head, smiling nervously.

“Pabo,” Heechul laughed, shaking his head.

“Guys!” I suddenly heard Yesung’s voice. Heechul and I stopped laughing and walked out of his room into living room.

“What is it?” Kangin asked as he came in the living room as well.

“It’s … about that guy … So Min … was dating…” he said breathless.

“Which guy?” Shindong asked confused. “So Min’s first boyfriend is Donghae …” he muttered.

“Ah!” I remembered. “You mean about that guy James or Jason or what-ever-is-his-name?” I asked. Yesung pointed at me, nodding his head, still breathless.

“What about him?” Heechul asked.

“They … caught him …” he started and took deep breaths.

“Jinja!?” I screamed and a wide smile crossed my face. He nodded again and continued: “But he’s fighting for his freedom.” A smiled from everyone’s faces disappeared.

“W-what are you talking about?” Kangin asked.

“Right now he’s in New York’s prison, waiting on the next time he’ll step in front of the court.” He explained everything. But the only thing he didn’t know was: “I don’t know who the lawyer that is defending him is; even press doesn’t know.”

“What do you mean you don’t know?” Shindong asked.

“Jinja~” Yesung whined. “No one knows, except for the jury, judge, prosecutor, himself and the people that are in the court with them. The press isn’t allowed to be inside.” He said.

“Should we tell to others?” I asked and looked from one to another.

“Better to say now than later if he’ll get out, right?” Kangin said already dialing Leeteuk’s number.

“Leeteuk,” he said. “No nothing happened here … well … there is something that you need to know. It’s about… Eh? Ne. Jinja? Ah. Arraso. Annyeong~” he sang and hanged up.

“So?” Heechul asked impatient.

“They already know.” He said and sat on the couch.

I looked from one to another who were walking, either to their room or into kitchen. I felt something was different. I mean; Leeteuk always allowed to others that they ended what they wanted to say, but this time Leeteuk cut Kangin, saying that they already know about him. Something was really off, but I didn’t know what. Do they really know about him, or is Leeteuk hiding something?

ruthazar100: Glad you like it :) When I first heard his song I was somehow like: 'What kind of song is this?' but then I started liking it and not a week passed and I already heard it on the radio. I was only staring in front, while my friends started singing along, making my eyes pop out. xD lol