XCV

Springfield

 

“We have to tell Sunggyu.” Those were the words that came fumbling out of your mouth as soon as Woohyun confirmed that Kim Shinae was indeed a werewolf. Woohyun’s silence told you he agreed. This was important. The man in the Containment Zone mentioned the name of a werewolf who was born and raised in Springfield. Who was that man really? Why was he down there in, apparently, the same place the necklace was?

If anyone should know about this information first, it was Sunggyu. Before the two of you could even make a move to head back downstairs, the sound of footsteps quickly approaching caused you both to turn towards the entrance of the room.

Dongwoo clamored in, using the frame to keep himself from falling after experiencing the backlash from sprinting moments ago. Before either of you could ask, he quickly said the words that would put Kim Shinae to the back of your minds for now, “Zico called B-Bomb.”

 

 

 

“You all look like you’re more than ready to cross the territory line.” Zico unnecessarily commented as he looked over not only you but B-Bomb and Sunggyu who were standing next to you. The three of you met up in the same place as last time. The only difference was Sunggyu was by your side and Zico actually had news about Myungsoo this time.

“You found out something about Myungsoo didn’t you?” You rushed him, not being able to help yourself.

 “Always getting straight to the point huh?” Zico sighed and took a deep breath, “Yeah, I caught a hold of his scent.”

Sunggyu spoke up, only saying one word in reply, “Where?” That was the most important part after all. So he caught hold of Myungsoo’s scent. That was good, sure, but one important detail was missing. The ‘where.’

Zico his lips and looked down at the ground, his hand coming up to rub the back of his neck, “Where? That’s not really a question I can answer with certainty.”

You furrowed your eyebrows. This didn’t sound good. Not only that, but this tone he was using was one he would use when he was holding something back, if that wasn’t obvious already. “Zico.” You said his nickname firmly, urging him to continue.

Zico looked up from the ground at the call. He locked eyes with you and your insides squirmed on reflex. You didn’t look away however. You were determined and not even his striking eagle like eyes on yours could stop you from pressing him for answers.

Zico, in the end, gave up the information he was holding back, “His scent goes into the underground building we all went into before. I figure the mayor makes weekly visits with how often he comes into our territory.”

Myungsoo was in the underground building? Myungsoo was in the Containment Zone. He was down there with whoever that man was in that dark and lonesome place. As you thought about how to go about reaching him, a light bulb lit up in your head.

“And you’re sure he’s still down there?” B-Bomb asked, not noticing the look of revelation on your face.

“His scent didn’t double back so to answer your question, yes I’m sure.” Zico replied in a sarcastic manner.

B-Bomb ignored his leader’s cynicism and cursed outwardly, “How are we supposed to find him down there?”

Zico had no answers to that question. He watched Sunggyu and B-Bomb exchange glances and he knew what would happen next. The werewolves would go looking for their missing member of course. Zico would do the same. That only left him with one more thing to say, “Now that I’ve told you what you wanted to know, I only ask that you warn me before you go investigating the place.”

Sunggyu looked away from B-Bomb and nodded, “Thank you.” He took a step forward, surprising Zico slightly. When he saw Sunggyu’s outreached hand however, he calmed. He reached out as well and the two shook hands, a gesture of respect the two had never shown for each before because they had no reason to. Now, working together in such a way, caused them to do such a thing instead of almost strangle each other to death.

Sunggyu gently let his hand drift onto the small of your back, telling you through his actions that it was time to go. B-Bomb noticed it and kept silent about it, turning on his heel to leave as well yet not before throwing one last glance at Zico. It didn’t surprise him that Zico’s eyes weren’t looking back at him.

“Hyunjoo.”

You stopped mid turn and looked back towards Zico, the one who had called out to you.

“I want to talk to you.” He directed his statement to Sunggyu, knowing full well that it would be hard to convince the werewolf leader of this. Sunggyu cringed, his eyes closing as he had an inner conflict about what to do. Before he could come to a conclusion, Zico spoke up again. “Alone if you don’t mind. Call it a request for a request.” Sunggyu stared at him for a moment. He took a few steps back, showing his acceptance, albeit reluctant, of what Zico was proposing.

 As he was leaving, Zico eyed B-Bomb who was still by your side.

“I said alone didn’t I?” He cocked his head upwards, telling B-Bomb to back off. B-Bomb sighed. He should have known that just because he wasn’t there didn’t mean Zico would change in any way. He lifted his hands up in defense and backed up, leaving along with Sunggyu.

As soon as the two were out of sight, you crossed your arms against your chest and stared Zico down, “What is it?”

Zico shrugged innocently, as though he were the victim, “I told you, I want to talk to you.” Your glare faltered, your arms loosening up. “Amongst other things.” He tossed in, causing you to go on the defensive again. If Woohyun was a cheesy flirter, Zico was a cocky one. Of course, the thing that was similar is that they both did it to make fun of you. He motioned you closer, “Come here.” He drawled out, a rasp in his voice produced itself.

You couldn’t remain stubborn towards him. If you did, you would never get anywhere with him. That’s what you learned about Zico. He was this way. There was no changing him. All you could do was accept it.

You let your arms fall from your sides and walked closer to him. You had your suspicions about him pulling another Mayor’s Fall bash on you so you kept a little bit of distance between you two.

“Surely you’re kidding.” Zico rolled his eyes at the meter long distance between him and you, “Closer.” You took one more step closer. He simply laughed at you, “Good enough.”

“What is it?”

“I miss you.”

Your voice stuck in your throat. He missed you? How apt of him to say such a thing after getting you to come closer. It only made the line effect you more when you couldn’t look anywhere but him.

“Not just me either. We all do. I mean. I get it. You never left the werewolves right? I didn’t think you did. It made me angry at first, sure, but I could tell that when you were with us, you were with us. I know if I asked you to come back with me right now, you’d falter.” Zico stared into your eyes, waiting to see that taken aback expression of yours and he did. If flickered for just a moment, but he saw it. “You wouldn’t come with me. I understand. But you contemplated.” Your heart flipped at the crooked smirk forming on his face, that smile that belonged to Zico and only Zico. “I’ve got my hooks in you already. I’ve just decided to let you go for now.” His eyes drifted down to the ground where the imaginary boundary line was drawn, separating you and him. He looked back up at you, your eyes reflecting in them his figure. He smiled once more, “Remember that.”

 

 

 

You see the werewolves plus B-Bomb all waiting for you by the cars. After Zico’s little ‘Remember that’ line, you had to resist the urge to cross the line and attempt to give him a good beating for the embarrassing comment. Attempt being the key word since he most likely would have no problem dodging you. You couldn’t protest to his words because everything he said was true. If you could have it your way, you would have both the hunters and the werewolves working together as they had in this once instance. Of course, such things would only happen in the mystical land of unicorns and flying pigs. That didn’t mean you couldn’t hope, did it? After all, B-Bomb had made an alliance for the time being. Meaning there was a sparkle of hope somewhere out there.

As you finally came into earshot of the wolves, you heard Sunggyu talking to the others about what to do now.  To you, there was one way to make doing things easier that had popped into your head during your lightbulb moment just earlier. So why keep back what you knew? This was about finding Myungsoo as fast as possible.

You came to a stop in front of them, “I think I know a way to make our trip easier.” A confident smile formed on your face as you told them about the papers you found in the mayor’s office.

The papers which looked like blueprints.

Blueprints quite similar looking to the Containment Zone. 

----------

A/N: 

Do you remember when Hyunjoo found those papers? She thought it was nothing at the time but now it seems they were important! I like referring back to things, as I'm sure you all know. Look forward to tomorrow's chapter everyone!

 

 

 

So, I updated a few hours late because I fell asleep whilst waiting for midnight to come. Silly me. I am repenting over my hours of lateness. 

P.S. The gif is called a Tuzki Bunny Emoticon.