XLVII

Springfield

 

“I won’t take no for an answer,” you asserted as you hopped onto the back of a bike.

“I really can’t deal with you right now.” Sungyeol frowned at the sight of you stubbornly refusing to get off of his bicycle. He had gotten a call from Hoya, who was out with Sunggyu, saying that he had to get to the Springfield Lake, and by get there he meant, “already be there.” 

“The more we talk the more bullet wounds we have to worry about.” You argued back at him as you hit him lightly on the back. It was as if hitting him would make him work the way it would your computer at home.

“Do you even have any idea where you’re insisting on going? Or even what’s happening there right now?” Sungyeol turned around and looked down at you with serious eyes. You looked back up at him, blinking blankly like it was his obligation to take you with him.

“I do. Springfield Lake. Zico and Sunggyu are fighting right now. So are you going to pedal or do I have to do it?”

He stared into your eyes for a moment longer. He saw nothing but strong determination that he knew he wouldn’t be able to break. He admired that about you. Rather to say, he liked that about you. Like in the kind of way that he couldn’t talk about it in front of the rest of the pack. Eventually, he gave in, like always, and pressed down with his left foot.

The bike quickly picked up speed as it turned the corner out of the school gates and continued down the road. You held fast onto Sungyeol’s shoulders and there went your heart again. It just refused to stay quiet in situations like this. You bit you lip, not even realizing that you missed this. Missed the feel of his shoulders on your fingertips. Missed the face he would make before giving into you. Missed the smile he would make immediately afterwards as if he enjoyed every second he spent with you. Mostly though, you missed his presence. You genuinely missed Sungyeol.

As Sungyeol continued to get closer and closer to the destination, you realized you missed all of them; hunters included.

 

 

 

Sunggyu narrowed his eyes at Zico. Zico on the other hand looked confident as he stood a few feet in front of Sunggyu, just behind the territory line. “Leave. Now.” Sunggyu snarled at Zico who only got a smirk on his face in response.

“I just wanted to have a little chat.” Zico leaned over and stared at Sunggyu with wide, innocent eyes. When Sunggyu’s nostrils flared, Zico backed away. “Alright fine.” He said with a shrug of his shoulders.

“Stop picking fights Zico.” B-Bomb warned as he gripped onto Zico’s shoulder. Zico turned back at him and tilted his head.

“I’m not. The disgusting monster just has a short fuse.” Zico gestured with a nod in Sunggyu’s direction. The comment made Sunggyu’s patience run dry. He took a step towards Zico and growled lowly. His blood began to boil and the only thing keeping him from launching himself towards the hunter leader were his many thoughts on ways to kill him.

“Hyung, let’s just go.” Sungjong tried to tug on Sunggyu’s arm but to no avail. Sunggyu’s glare stayed on Zico and he took another step forward, finally deciding to just do it the old fashioned way, rip him limb from limb.

Taeil gave B-Bomb a stern look, as if he could somehow stop the wayward Zico right now. B-Bomb felt like laughing out loud. If he had the ability to stop Zico, he would have done so a long time ago. If it weren’t just Taeil, Zico, Kyung, and himself then he would’ve been able to drag Zico away by force. However, Kyung didn’t look like he had any desire to participate in such a plan. In fact, he had a rather sinister grin on his face.

“Typical of the mutts to run off with their tails between their legs at even the slightest hint at a fight.” Kyung scoffed, his insult was obviously directed at Sungjong who was not at all pleased. Sungjong clenched his fists tightly as he growled at Kyung. If Kyung wanted to provoke him, then he got his wish. Sungjong had no more qualms about taking down the hunters then and there.

“Sungjong come off it.” Hoya tried to reason with him as he yanked him back to keep him from doing anything both him and Sunggyu would later regret.

“Listen to your friends. Wouldn’t want to actually shoot you this time. Especially when daddy werewolf is too busy to save you again.” Kyung smirked at the expression he got back from Sungjong. He had to admit, once the full moon came around tomorrow, he would be the one to go after Sungjong. That is, if it didn’t break out right here and now.

A blur moved so quickly the Hoya wasn’t fast enough to stop it. Not even a hands width away from Kyung’s throat was Sunggyu’s outreached fingers. They flexed and relaxed as though it took a great amount of willpower to keep himself from doing what he so wished he could. However, the sane part of him was still there. “Insult him again and I promise you it’ll be the last thing you do.”

The sound of metal clicking to Sunggyu’s right made Hoya immediately go up and yank Sunggyu back to their territory. He was able to do so before Zico was able to fire off a shot, thankfully.

“After this,” Kyung said as he glared at Sungjong, who now had no one to stop him from responding to the threats, “I wonder if I should pay cute little Hyunjoo a visit. I’m sure she’ll try to fight me off but that’ll make it all the more enjoyable. What do you think?” He winked at Sungjong and all hell broke loose.

Sungjong ripped free from his human bonds and a large ball of fur moved quick to take Kyung down.

Kyung let out a rough grunt as he was sent falling backwards by the huge force on his chest. His back hit the dirt hard but he didn't have time to think about the bruise. He was pinned down as a jaw of dangerously sharp teeth threatened to rip his entire face off. He fought back however as he held back the massive jaws just a few inches from his face. An angry snarl came from the mouth of teeth as it used more force to get at Kyung in one foul bite. Kyung breathed heavily as he twisted his head to and fro, trying to avoid losing the skin on his face to the beast. To Sungjong.

Zico would have helped him, however, as soon as Sungjong transformed, a wolf came from the trees behind Sunggyu and rammed into him. He was sent onto the ground and he met a golden brown colored wolf’s eyes. Zico got on his feet quickly and his upper lip twitched in annoyance. He didn’t care if this wolf was going to go at him, all he cared about was saving Kyung. He steadied his hand and he pulled back on the trigger as he aimed the gun at Sungjong.

The golden brown wolf leapt towards him to stop him but the sound of air ripping caused the wolf to quickly veer right in mid-air. An arrow went flying past the wolf and landed in a tree a few feet behind it. Sungjong, still in wolf form, released Kyung and moved out of the way to avoid being hit by Zico’s bullet.

B-Bomb’s jaw clenched as he glared at the golden brown colored wolf with rage filled eyes. He pulled another arrow from the quiver attached to his back and steadied it on the crossbow in his hands. The wolf took a step forward towards Zico, challenging B-Bomb to fire again, when a loud voice stopped it.

“Dongwoo, I’ll take care of it.” Sunggyu clenched one of his fists tightly until his knuckles turned white. Without transforming, Sunggyu moved quickly to attack Zico.

Taeil grimaced at the sight going on in front of him. He watched as Sungjong dodged Kyung’s bullets and used each opportunity he had to rip his claws through Kyung’s flesh. He watched as Sunggyu and Zico had resorted to using their fists against each other, the werewolf much too proud to reveal his form now and Zico unable to use his gun after Sunggyu whacked it out of his hand. He watched as Dongwoo, the golden brown colored wolf, launched himself towards B-Bomb, who shot another arrow that Dongwoo dodged effortlessly. B-Bomb instead decided to smack Dongwoo in the face with the blunt of the crossbow as soon as he attempted to leap onto him. Then, he looked directly in front of him, still behind the territory line.

Standing there was the lone werewolf who hadn’t made a move until now. In fact, the look he was giving Taeil right now was one urging him not to move for his gun. Not to even try it or he wouldn’t have any mercy.

Hoya breathed out as he stared at Taeil. It seemed as though the hunter understood what his glance meant. He didn’t want to fight. Not now. Not here. Hoya would only take action if Taeil did. It seemed as though Taeil felt the same way as well as he continued to hold himself back from going to help his brethren. Instead, the two of them watched and kept a keen eye on each other for any sign of aggression.

 

 

 

You heard a bang and Sungyeol immediately stopped his bike. Sungyeol looked out to where the sound came from with a worried expression. Your eyes widened as a blur of gold rushed past your right and continued further in the direction of the sound. The heavy steps of the figure who rushed by crunched the leaves and made the silent forest become filled with noise.

Sungyeol kept his eyes forward, his eyebrows now scrunching together. “That was Dongwoo.” He said, obviously directed towards you. You blinked a few times, confused. The thing that rushed by was not on two legs. It was definitely running on four. That meant that Dongwoo had transformed. Dongwoo had transformed and was now reporting to battle like a solider being called to the front lines. Sungyeol tightened his grip on the handlebars of his bike and gulped down. He couldn’t transform and leave you now. You were too close to where the fight was. If you weren’t with him, you would be in danger. “Hold on tight,” Sungyeol warned you before setting off again.

The air blew your hair back and as Sungyeol got closer and closer to the lake, the smell of iron got stronger and stronger. You bit your lip in worry and gripped onto Sungyeol’s shoulders tighter. He sped up even more, as if reading your mind. You both needed to get there as quickly as possible.

 

 

 

“So much for trying not to get involved.” Hoya murmured before getting in a sprinting position and rushing forward. Though it was not Taeil he was rushing towards, it was Jaehyo. Soon after he and Taeil came to a silent agreement, Jaehyo emerged from the forest and, driven by pure rage, pulled a knife from his belt and sent if flying into Dongwoo’s shoulder. Dongwoo let out a yelp, stunned at the sudden attack. Hoya wasn’t going to just stand by anymore.

Hoya crossed the territory line at last and ran forward to interfere with Jaehyo. However, he was stopped by a gun wielding Taeil. He stopped and stared at Taeil with an intense gaze.

“Looks like we can’t avoid it after all.” Taeil smiled wearily as he pulled the trigger and sent a bullet flying towards Hoya.

A loud roar of someone in pain caused almost all fighting to cease for a moment. They all looked towards the source and found Sunggyu hovering over a crippled Zico. Sunggyu pulled his fist away from Zico’s chest, whose ribs he was sure he had just cracked with his punch.

Kyung, B-Bomb, and Taeil could not come to his aid, they were stopped by Sungjong, Dongwoo, and Hoya respectively. However, Jaehyo watched the scene of Zico coughing up blood with wide eyes. His insides all screamed at him. He didn’t think about his next actions as he sent a knife straight into Sunggyu’s chest.

The force of the impact caused Sunggyu to stumble back a bit, his eyebrows pinching together due to the pain. He looked down at the knife and then back to its owner; Jaehyo. He snarled as he took a step in Jaehyo’s direction. Zico grabbed his arm to keep him back but the pain he felt in his chest was too great and his hand that held onto Sunggyu slipped harmlessly back to his side.

Sunggyu was a blur as he pinned Jaehyo to a tree. Jaehyo gasped for air as he tried to pry Sunggyu’s fingers from his neck. Sunggyu used his free hand to grip onto the knife in his chest, his teeth clenching as he held tight onto the handle. He had no reaction at all as he yanked it from himself. He twirled it in his hand once before sending it plunging into Jaehyo’s stomach. Jaehyo stopped struggling. His eyes went wide and his mouth ajar. His hands fell to his sides as blood streamed from his stomach. Sunggyu let go of Jaehyo’s throat, making him fall to the base of the tree.

Sunggyu turned away, though was surprised to find two bullets piercing the skin on his arm. Zico had managed to get to the gun that Sunggyu had whacked from his grip earlier. Zico wanted to curse as loud as he possibly could. His eyes shook from pure anger as he looked at the sight of Jaehyo bleeding out. “Bastard.” He whispered as he pulled the trigger again, sending a bullet into Sunggyu’s leg. Sunggyu growled and took a step forward when suddenly, he smelled something familiar behind him.  

“Stop.”

Sunggyu turned, not believing his ears right now. Standing behind him with next to Jaehyo on the ground was you. You had your hand on Jaehyo’s forehead and the other on his shoulder. Your eyebrows were scrunched together in anger as you looked at Sunggyu with determined eyes. Sungyeol was behind you, his eyes widened at the scene. The entire fight went silent as everyone turned towards you.

“Get a hold of yourself.” Your jaw tightened due to the growing anger that rose inside of you. For some reason, some unknown reason, seeing Jaehyo like this gave you feelings you didn’t even understand. Sunggyu blinked a few times, as if he didn’t realize what he was doing until now. He took a step towards you, the familiar warmth in his eyes almost made you falter however you kept your stern demeanor.

“Promises aren’t meant to be broken.” You threw a glance at Zico who at this point lowered the gun in his hand. You looked at him and frowned, “Take Jaehyo and go home Zico. He needs help now and he won’t get it if you keep this up.”

Zico stared at you hard and eyed Sunggyu, who stood as still as stone, before looking back at Jaehyo. He tilted his head towards Taeil and nodded. Taeil nodded back and slowly approached the injured Jaehyo, who was already being helped up by Sungyeol. Sungyeol gave Taeil an apologetic look as he handed Jaehyo over to him. Zico backed away with Kyung, Taeil, B-Bomb, and Jaehyo warily before they finally disappeared in the thick brush of the forest. Sunggyu, Dongwoo, Hoya, and Sungjong made no move to stop them.

You stood from your crouching position and locked eyes with Sunggyu, who had an unreadable expression on his face. If he had given you a reason why he was doing what he was, then you would have immediately sided with him, even if it was a lie. You wanted him to say something, anything, but the words didn’t come out. 

----------

A/N:

Agh! Oh my goodness! This chapter is late! I mean I said it would be late but I didn't expect it to be this late :( I'll definitely update sometime in the next 24 hours. I promise!

Do leave your comments below (if you please~)