XXXVIII

Springfield

 

“Are you okay?” Sungjong asked again. His facial features were scrunched up from worry as he ran his fingertips along your pink cheek. “The swelling isn’t going down.” His frown got deeper and you swore he was about to cry.

You reached up to his hands and took them into your own. You brought them away from your face and clenched onto them, “I’m fine Sungjong. Don’t make that face.” You cooed. His face only got more worried which made you feel even worse about what happened.

“Here,” Dongwoo appeared in front of you two in front of the couch in your living room with a small bag of ice, “Put this on it.”

You took it from him and pressed it to your right cheek. The cold sensation against your skin made you tremble a bit. You looked back up at him, “Thank you.” He shook his head no as if it was no problem before taking a seat to your right.

“I have to admit. I’m pretty impressed with you.” Dongwoo managed a laugh though it didn’t sound as robust as usual; as if it was forced. You took the ice away from our cheek in order to speak only to get a scolding from him, “Hey put it back on.” He pushed your hand back towards your face, stopping your words. You pouted at him but did as he said.

Sungjong looked at your pink cheek and blew on it lightly, “If only you were one of us than this would heal faster.”

You turned to him and frowned, “I am one of you.” He met your determined eyes and sighed.

“Hyunjoo, that’s not what I mean.”

Dongwoo gazed at you wishing the same thing. If only you were a werewolf like them then everything would be so much easier. Just imagining it was enough to make his heart flutter. If only you were really one of them.

Meanwhile, in the kitchen of your house, Sunggyu, Woohyun, Hoya, Sungyeol, and Myungsoo were discussing something. Something that made the aura of the room not bright in the least.

“Hyunjoo says the mayor talked about the elites.” Woohyun said with a scowl.

“The elites huh?” Sungyeol questioned softly as painful memories resurfaced slowly in his mind.

Woohyun sighed, “Now the elites are stuffing their noses into things? And they ringed the mayor into their cause too?” He reached up to his head and ruffled his hair roughly, “As if we didn’t have enough problems with the hunters alone.”

“It seems as though Hyunjoo is the reason the elites are involved now.” Sunggyu said with distaste. All of the four other boys looked at him. They gave him looks like those of a five year old about to have his favorite toy taken away. Sunggyu shook his head at their reaction, realizing that he must have been misunderstood, “I’m not going to make her separate from us because of this so don’t look at me like that.” He told them. They all looked away, surprised with themselves that they went on the defensive for you so quickly. “Though it would’ve been better if you had chosen a girl who didn’t stand out as much.” He joked, “But there’s nothing we can do about it now. What we need to worry about is that now the necklace is in the elites’ possession.”

“I wonder what kind of deal the mayor made with them.” Sungyeol spoke out loud, “He already had us in the palm of his hands. What is he playing at?”

“The mayor has never been one for playing his mind games fair.” Myungsoo knew from experience.

Woohyun eyed Myungsoo. He was less curious of the mayor than he was of Myungsoo’s actions. Just earlier, at the party, when you disappeared, Myungsoo came over to him and Sunggyu. He told him that you were trapped in the Mayor’s study. Woohyun reacted immediately, not thinking much of it. But now that he was thinking about it, it seemed wrong. If Myungsoo knew you were trapped he should’ve gone running to you. Why look for him to save you instead?

Sunggyu responded, “Let’s focus on finding out where the mayor hid the necklace. It’s better to go one step at a time.”

Hoya stood up from the breakfast table, breaking his silence and speaking up for the first time, “Do you want me to go after it?”

Sunggyu shook his head no, “The mayor doesn’t know what we are capable of yet. He thinks we are just slightly stronger than the average human and can change into wolves. Let’s keep it that way.” He turned towards Myungsoo, “Instead, we should try something different.”

Myungsoo stood up from his leaning position as if he was ready to be ordered to do anything, “What do I have to do?”

“Bang Minah. Isn’t she in your class?” Myungsoo took a moment to remember but then eventually nodded in answer to the question. “Why don’t you try to make a new friend, L?” 

--------

A/N:

A shorter chapter for now!

See you next time with (hopefully) a longer one :)