LXXXVIII

Springfield

 

What if you just walked around them, pretending not the see them? No, Sungyeol would think that was strange. How about suggesting you take your car and go out? No, you were already too close to the bike racks to suggest such a thing. It really did seem like your only option left was the one which involved you digging a hole for yourself and hiding in it.

“What’s up? What are you guys doing here?” Sungyeol voiced out, greeting B-Bomb as though it were the most normal thing in the world to do. You cringed. He had made your decision for you. The one decision you didn’t even consider in the first place, actually talking to them.

B-Bomb ceased his conversation and looked up, “I came with Sungjong. He was at the house till just now.” He drew his eyes from Sungyeol and saw you, “Hyunjoo.” He announced and Myungsoo’s ears perked up. He knew you had been there, simply hearing your name out loud caused him to involuntarily flinch, his muscles constricting. “It’s been awhile.” B-Bomb greeted you, not paying attention to the tension between you and Myungsoo at the moment.

“Yeah.” You dismally said. He frowned due to your unsatisfactory reaction to his appearance. He turned to Myungsoo beside him and realized the friendly character he had taken up just moments ago was nowhere to be found. “Don’t tell me you didn’t do what I asked you to?”

You flinched and met eyes with him, giving him his answer. Jaehyo was right, you were a walking billboard.

“Really, there’s no reason to act this way because of that.” B-Bomb nudged Myungsoo in the shoulder, “It’s lunch right? Should we go out to eat something? I’m already here and I’m sure as hell not walking all the way back to the house.”

“Hyunjoo and I were just going. There’s a convenience store near here. We can go together.” Sungyeol’s words echoed in your head as he unknowingly wrote your death sentence.

“Sounds good to me.” B-Bomb agreed with Sungyeol. How were you going to be able to focus with Myungsoo sitting near you? That was an impossible thing to do.

“I’m busy. Maybe some other time?” Myungsoo directed to B-Bomb and Sungyeol. He had pulled the words right out of your mouth and said them before you could even begin.

“You’re busy?” B-Bomb rose an eyebrow, only causing Myungsoo to shoot him a look that told him to stop asking questions. Just moments before, Myungsoo was all up for doing anything, seemingly not busy with a single thing. “Alright then.” B-Bomb read the situation at last. He could tell you and Myungsoo were not close. Myungsoo’s dislike of you seemed to go so deep that he would change his entire demeanor in your presence.

Myungsoo was different around him. Different around most everyone. A week ago, Myungsoo’s words helped him immensely. B-Bomb had learnt the meaning of Myungsoo’s words since then. Why was his beast side always winning over his human side? Because he never learned to embrace his other half. He always rejected it as though it were a virus. It was winning against him because he didn’t have the confidence in himself to be what he was born as. A werewolf. He was a werewolf. No amount of Wolfsbane could change that. He hadn’t grown completely confident he could control his other side, but every day he spent with the werewolves he could feel his confidence growing.

Right now though, he couldn’t see a trace of the same guy who gave him such advice. He only saw a stoic face coupled with an ill-mannered attitude.

“I’m not going either.” You stated. Sungyeol looked down at you, wide-eyed. Myungsoo scoffed and shoved his hands into his pockets before walking off into the school. You glared at his receding back before focusing once more on the confused B-Bomb and Sungyeol in front of you, “I need to think about some things.”

There was no more time to go through the motions of your daily life. It had been a week and you had not even begun to do what Tiffany suggested.

“Guess it’s just you and me then.” B-Bomb gestured to Sungyeol to follow him though Sungyeol was hesitant. You looked troubled but the reason for it was something he couldn’t tell by looking at you. This was a first for him and he disliked not knowing what you were thinking about. If only he could have been more like Sungjong towards you, all clingy and loving, during times like these.

Gathering his bearings, Sungyeol took a step towards you, standing in front of you. You looked up at him, wondering what he was going to say. Your vision blurred as you felt two arms wrap around your waist and hug you tight. Surprised would be the modest term for how you felt right now.

Had he read your mind earlier? How did he know you wanted him to do this? Sure, you might have had a flashing neon sign on your head that told everyone what you were thinking about but you didn’t think you had showed your desire to embrace him so obviously.

You lifted your hands from your side and curled them into the fabric of his shirt as you let your hands wrap around his chest, coming to rest on his back. You relished in the moment, forgetting where you were.

B-Bomb coughed beside you and you pulled back, clearing your throat. Sungyeol wasn’t in the least bit embarrassed. He was completely elated, his cheeks rising up to his eyes as he smiled down at you. “See you later.” You muttered under your breath. When you made eye contact with B-Bomb, you could feel the embarrassment rising to your face. “I did miss you.” You coughed and shuffled away from the two, utterly petrified with humiliation.

Sungyeol watched your little embarrassed waddle back into the school, his smile not ceasing. B-Bomb understood his smile. You were different from your usual self when you were ashamed. The day he had pulled the covers off of you after you cried, he wanted to laugh at how vulnerable you were after putting on airs every which way you went. You were cute. Unbelievably so. Then and now. So he understood Sungyeol’s feelings as he watched you walked away.

You breathed out as you finally entered the school. You slapped your cheeks lightly, reprimanding yourself for not thinking straight. As you reentered the classroom, you found your notebook back and your desk and a small post it with the words ‘Thank you – N & R’ on top. You took the note off and pasted it onto the inside of your notebook before slipping it into your desk and flopping down into your seat.

You reached into your pocket and fished out your phone. You checked the message from B-Bomb once more, “Does this mean I don’t have to worry about it?” Your lips tugged upward as you felt the weight on your back lift. Seriously, this Myungsoo thing had given you enough stress to last the whole week. Of course, as slightly embarrassing as it was to admit, Sungyeol just now had helped in relieving you of most of it . You just hoped nothing else would happen and another week would go by, safe and sound.

 

 

 

Your eyebrows scrunched together in distaste as you came face to face with something firm. When you opened your eyes, assorted shades of green invaded your view. The sound of crunching leaves forced your eyes to focus. When they did, you felt your heart relax. Dongwoo was standing in front of you, a peaceful expression on his face. His newly dyed light brown hair shone underneath the sunlight coming through the trees. His eyes slightly lazy though a sense of calm reflected in them. He nudged his head upwards, signaling you to follow him. He pivoted and began walking forward and you took steps after him, expecting him to soon explain why he was leading you deeper into the forest.

You felt a tinge of electricity run down your spine. Your head spun to look behind you. Kyung. Kyung was standing there. As casual as could be. You opened your mouth to call out to him when you felt something warm slip into your hand. You turned back around. You expected to see Dongwoo standing there, his hand in yours, which was definitely not the kind of thing he did. This was the reason you could feel the tips of your ears turning red.

Instead, Sungjong was standing there, where Dongwoo once was. You felt your heart calm down. Sungjong gripped onto your hand tightly and tugged you forward, closer to him, forcing you to stumble over your own two feet. His hand steadied you in place and his smile appeared on his face clear as day. He started to pull you after him and you glanced back, no longer seeing Kyung where he once was. You didn’t understand where he had gone but Sungjong’s continuous pull on your hand kept you from investigating further.

His fingers laced through yours. You turned back around, out of the corner of your eye catching a figure leaning by a tree as you passed. Jaehyo. It was Jaehyo unmistakably. But why? Were the hunters following you? Wouldn’t Dongwoo and Sungjong be aware if they were?

Sungjong’s hand slipped from your own and you directed your attention back towards him. Hoya stood in his place. Your eyes widened from surprise. Even more so as Hoya suddenly pulled you to his chest, as though he was sheltering you from something. Your heart palpitated again. It was the same way he had held onto you the day you two first met. You tried to push him away from him because your eyes had caught something again before he had pulled you close.

Taeil. Taeil standing just a few feet away from where Hoya and you now were. Hoya’s grip on you was too strong and you ended up giving into him, waiting for him to release you so that you could ask him what in the world was going on. You shifted your head to the left, trying to breath in something besides him. Why at this moment was P.O. looking up at you as he sat, indian style, on the ground a few feet away from you? Hoya’s hands suddenly moved from the top of your shoulders to your waist, tugging you closer.

This hug was something you had felt just earlier, and not from Hoya. You moved your head up and found exactly who you knew it was there. Sungyeol. He smiled down at you like a child. The chirping of birds caused you to look up, away from him, only for a moment, to find U-Kwon sitting on a branch in a tree near you. He smirked playfully, one of his legs pressed up against himself while his other was dangling from the branch. You felt Sungyeol’s warmth leave you, his arms slipping away.

You, a bit surprised by his receding hands, turned back to him but once more, he was nowhere to be found. You took a few steps forward, looking for where he went to. Before you could call out his name, you were lifted off of your feet. You yelped and gripped tightly around the figure now holding you up, princess style.

Sunggyu tightened his grip on you and carried you forward, walking through the forest with a nonchalant look on his face. You looked over his shoulder and your hands loosened from around his neck. B-Bomb. It was B-Bomb. You fidgeted in Sunggyu’s arms, trying to get him to put you down. Instead, he steadied you against him with one quick bounce. You looked away from B-Bomb with the intent to argue against Sunggyu. This didn’t work out the way you had hoped.

His face so close to yours that your voice stuck in your throat.  You glanced over his shoulder one more time, B-Bomb nowhere in sight. You gulped down and rested your temple on his shoulder, giving up on your struggle. You parted your lips to speak with the intent to ask why he had to carry you, embarrassment rising in you due to each of the werewolves’ actions towards you, but ended up being stopped as he started to let you down in the middle of a clearing in the forest. A clearing you had seen many times.

In the middle of the clearing were steps descending downwards into darkness. The Containment Zone entrance. Or at least the only one you knew about. Standing at the top of the stairs was a person with eagle-like eyes that no longer scared you as they used to but instead, drew you in. Zico. It had been so long since you had seen him and you missed him immensely. You missed all of the hunters. Did they also think about you? Probably not.

You flipped around, remembering who was with you, worried about how Sunggyu would take Zico’s sudden appearance. However, he wasn’t there anymore. Your eyes frantically searched for him and you whipped around, wanting to question Zico.

You saw his back as he walked down the stairs, disappearing into the darkness. You quickened your pace after him, following him down. There was something different about the stairway. The large door at the bottom shone a rusty copper color despite there being no light shining down here. Zico continued forward, forcing you to enter through the door and follow him. Small pockets of blue light shone from the ceiling, allowing you to see where Zico was going. He was leading you down a familiar route in fact. The same way you had gone with the hunters upon first entering the Containment Zone.

You stopped in your tracks as you saw Zico enter the room that ended up leading to your separation from the hunters. Zico walked inside without hesitation and you breathed out, gathering all the courage you could muster at this moment. You entered in behind him, your steps dragging. You didn’t like this room. There was something about it that caused fear to rise within you. You couldn’t pinpoint the feeling at the moment, too absorbed with trying to find out why Zico had lead you here.

He had stopped in the middle of the room, his back facing you. He didn’t move, causing you to worry. You approached him and slowly lifted your hand up, your fingers trembling, before placing your palm on his shoulder. You pulled gently on his shoulder, forcing him to turn around. He did and you almost fell backwards from shock.

It wasn’t Zico. No. Those eyes, those lips, that facial structure. None of them were Zico’s.

They all belonged to only one person you knew.

Woohyun.

He flashed one of his cheesy smiles at you before bending down and picking up a piece of paper. Déjà vu rushed through you and you remembered P.O. doing the exact same thing. He handed it to you and you took it from him. However, you didn’t look at the paper at all. You continued to stare at him and this only caused his smile to get bigger, if at all possible. He reached out and grasped your shoulders underneath his hands. His thumb gently rubbed your skin once.

He was telling you something without telling it to you at all. He wanted to comfort you. This grip of his was conveying to you his words.

‘Everything is going to be okay.’

You couldn’t even feel your heart beating, silence enveloping your whole body as his gaze stayed on you. You looked away regretfully after he nudged with his head downwards, telling you to look at what he had given to you as he let his hands slip from your shoulders. 

It was a drawing with small notes scribbled on the side.

You looked up at Woohyun, wanting to share with him your revelation about what it was. Your fingers that were holding onto the paper tensed up, the paper crumbling where the tips of your fingers were.

You heart shook, breaking its silence from earlier, as though an earthquake ranked a ten on the Richter scale was going on inside of you. Why did Woohyun have to leave? Why did you have to come face to face with Myungsoo now?

Darn him and his deep gaze. His calm expression that made you lose all conscious thoughts more than any smile would be able to. He effortlessly lifted his hand to his hair and ran it through, no words coming from your mouth to distract him and make him stop from doing such a motion in front of you. He turned to his right and you took in the curve of his jaw, not remembering the last time you actually really looked at his face. You had always been avoiding him, and he you, lately that you hadn’t taken the chance to look.

There was something else though. Something that distracted you from admiring him right now. The look in his eyes was different. Melancholy clouded over his irises like a veil.

“Shinae.”

That name. You had heard that name before. You followed his eyes, finding the steel door that once blocked you and the hunters from being together wide open. In the doorway was a black figure wearing a hat that covered his face and a long black jacket with the collar popped up, effectively giving none of his physical features away.

“Shinae.”

You said out loud. That name being the only thing you had been able to say this entire time. The figure took steps towards you and you remained still. His steps quickened and he spread his arms, darkness filling your range of vision. Then, a ringing sound invaded your eardrums and something impacted against your forehead.

A shot of pain rushed through your head as you rubbed your aching temples. You squeezed your eyes shut and your dry lips before opening your eyes. You saw wood in front of you and you had to blink away the slight dewiness from your eyes before you realized where you were.

The classroom. You were in the classroom. Students started to pile in, abound with chatter. You were sitting at your desk, your phone sitting in front of you. You rubbed your forehead with your free hand as you checked the time on your phone.

The lunch warning bell had just rang. That would explain the ringing in your ears earlier. And your desk beneath you would explain why you had hit your head.

“I was dreaming.” You stated to yourself. You figured you must have fallen asleep with your head resting in your palm. You must have lost your balance and hit your head. “No,” Your hands fell down onto your desk and you stared at your open palms, “I was remembering.” That slip of paper Woohyun had given to you. You had seen it before. Held it in your hands before.

It was an intricate sketch that looked like a blueprint. You remember the familiar notes scribbled in the corner. At the bottom of the blueprint was a sketch of a door. A door that bared exact resemblance to the one you had ventured through once in real life and once just before in your dream.

The door leading into the Containment Zone.

And the place you remember such a blueprint coming from failed to escape you.

The Mayor’s Office.

Still, one thing was in the back of your mind as you now thought about what you were going to do.

Who is Shinae?

------

A/N:

Important so please pay attention~ 

From now on, I am going to update twice a week. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays. This is simply because I am going to get busy soon.

Thank you for all of your patience everyone! 

I love you guys!