LXVI

Springfield

 

“Good morning.” A voice woke you up the next morning. You rubbed your throbbing head as you sat up. You had passed out as soon as the hunters brought you back to their home yesterday. Instead of going home, Zico insisted you come back with them because you looked like hell. And now, you felt like it. You had only managed to change into pajamas so your make up you had done from last night stuck to your face like a oily layer of gel and your hair was no longer curled but simply wavy. You felt horrible and you knew you must have looked horrible as well. You took a moment to rub the dew off of your eyes before finding out where the voice from earlier came from.

You met eyes with Taeil. He smiled at you slightly before looking back down at his lap. Your eyes followed his and you blinked at what you saw. He was holding your feet in his lap as he sat at the end of the couch. You quickly backed up towards the other side of the couch and pulled your feet from his grasp.

He was surprised by your actions as he blinked, wide-eyed at you. “I was just applying ointment.” He held his hands up like you caught him in the act of committing a crime. You looked back down at your feet to find them wrapped up in bandages. He started to speak again, getting your attention “I noticed when you got in the car that your heels were red. I checked this morning and just like I thought, you had blisters. They popped so I put some ointment on for them before bandaging them up.”

“Ah,” You let out a light breath though were still slightly jittery. You could feel the touch of his hands lingering on your feet. You felt awkward just because he touched your feet. You inwardly asked yourself if that was too ridiculous. “Thank you,” You stuttered out as you gripped onto your bandaged feet.

He smiled again and placed the medicine on the coffee table. Without another word he stood up and walked out of the living room. You watched him leave before slowly turning back to the medicine on the coffee table. A warm feeling grew in your chest without you knowing why. You cradled your legs to your chest as you stared at it in silence.

 

 

 

Minah slipped on her jacket and fixed her hair as she stood in front of her dresser’s mirror in her room. When she was done, she inspected her face, making sure her eyeliner didn’t smudge.

She heard a sudden bang coming from the room next to hers. Her father’s office. She blinked a few times, wondering if she imagined the noise. However, it happened again. She ventured out of her room to the door to her father’s office. The door was open and she could only see his back as he continued to throw books on the floor and pat down his bookshelves for something.

“Where is it?” She flinched at the anger in his voice.

“Daddy? Are you okay?” She asked him, worried about him.

He swiftly turned towards her and his eyes widened, “Minah. Minah, Minah.” He walked over to her and grasped her shoulders, “You didn’t touch Daddy’s keys recently did you?”

Minah’s eyes widened. For a moment, she questioned if she should tell him a lie. The look on his face though told her she shouldn’t lie to him right now. She decided to fess up, figuring he’d notice sooner or later what she did.

“I’m sorry Daddy. I used them to go out with my friends.” She gave him pitiful eyes and used the utmost cutest voice she could muster. She remembered the day Myungsoo deserted her after saying he didn’t feel like hanging out with her after school. It was the very same day she heard a rumor that you and Myungsoo were fighting with each other near the school’s running track. She was so frustrated that when her friends suggested they go out and have fun after so long, she couldn’t help but take the keys to her dad’s car.

“You did what?” His grip on her got slightly tighter and for some reason he was looking at her with murderous eyes, “You took my keys? Did you take out one of the keys?” He practically blew up in her face at his last question as he yelled at her.

Minah’s mind was reeling as she tried to think if she did take one of the keys off of the ring. That’s when she remembered. She locked eyes with him and frowned as her eyes grew wet due to her forming tears, “Daddy don’t get mad okay? I accidently undid the end off of the key ring and the keys went everywhere on the street. I put every single one back though! I made sure none of them went into the sewer!”

He shut his eyes and gritted his teeth in annoyance, “Here’s the thing sweety. You didn’t put them all back. One is missing.”

Minah’s eyes widened, “Daddy! I’m sorry! I thought I got all of them, I swear! Don’t be mad!” Minah pleaded with him as she grasped onto his forearm. She knew that when he got angry, things always got bad very quickly. She was too scared even thinking about what he would do to her now.

Unexpectedly, he let go of her and backed away. He took a seat on the couch in his office and breathed out. “It’s okay baby.” He couldn’t believe he lost it. But he became comforted at the thought that it was lost and that now, no one could have it.

 

 

 

You were surprised to find your walk to the classroom that morning uneventful. No one tried to drag you into the boy’s bathroom (something Dongwoo actually did last week) or try to ambush you outside your classroom. In fact, it was too quiet.

The bell rung just as you sat down at your desk. Everyone filed into the classroom from outside quickly, the teacher following close behind.

“I’m starting roll.” He told the class grumpily as always. He went down the list by seating arrangement, soon getting to the girl who hated you more than anything. “Bang Minah.”

“Here.” She answered, not as enthusiastically as usual.

“Kim Myungsoo.”

After a few moments, you realized why she wasn’t as happy as usual. Myungsoo wasn’t here today. That’s when you also realized why today was quieter than usual. Why you didn’t see Sungyeol riding his bike, didn’t see Hoya, Dongwoo, and Woohyun in the courtyard hanging out before class, didn’t see Sungjong waiting for you at your locker to talk to you before the first bell rang, and why Myungsoo wasn’t staring out the window as Minah chirped around him happily.

Today was the full moon. Today was the day you would be forced to see them but this time, on the other side of the boundary line.

-------

A/N:

Finally we have reached the full moon. Anticpating it?

Don't forget to leave a comment below.