LXXIII

Springfield

 

“Good morning.”

“Hey, did you catch the drama last night?”

You passed by two students having a conversation as you entered the classroom. They ignored your presence and acted as though no one had passed by. You weren’t bothered in the least as you walked to your desk. You were humming a song that had been stuck in your head since last night. You set your things down and started to pull from your bag what you needed for your first class. As you pulled a book out, your pencil case fell onto the floor. You bent down to pick it up and saw someone’s shoes come into view. When you got back up, you dropped your pencil case again at who was standing there.

“Hey.” Sungjong smiled at you and waved timidly. “It’s been awhile since we’ve been face to face like this huh?”

You turned away from him and picked up your pencil case again before sitting down. You kept your eyes forward, not acknowledging his presence.

Sungjong sighed and his smile fell from his face. “You can’t even talk to me?” He moved in front of your line of sight and you turned to the right. He moved again, “Please talk to me.” You looked down and opened your notebook, pretending to be studying your notes. He put his hands down onto your desk, covering up your notes, “I miss you.”

Your eyes widened at his confession and you instinctively looked up, locking eyes with him. People started to mumble about Sungjong and you now. You narrowed your eyes at him, telling him to leave now.

“I’m not going anywhere until you at least say one word to me.” He planted his feet firmly onto the ground in front of your desk.

“Leave,” You emphasized the word. Sungjong’s strong stance faltered as his shoulders slumped down. You couldn’t stand making him look like this but you couldn’t suddenly be friendly with him either. You were so close to finally succeeding in getting the necklace.

“I won’t.” He said, his stubborn side coming out.

“Sungjong.” You called sternly, not knowing that the sound of you calling his name after so long was music to his ears. Thankfully, your phone rung before he could say anything else. You fished it from your bag, forgetting you had left it on and had not put it on vibrate before coming to school.

Upon looking at the caller ID, you blinked a few times in wonder if you should answer at this very moment. Sungjong peaked over and saw who it was. He grabbed the phone from you and yanked the back off before taking the battery out. He tossed the battery onto your desk and dangled your phone in front of your face, “If you want it back, find me during lunch.”

You opened your mouth to protest but he immediately left. The bell rung as you stood up from your seat and you cringed as you sat back down. “He doesn’t think I miss him too?” You mumbled as you slipped the battery for your phone into your bag.

 

 

 

Zico pulled his phone from his ear and stared at it, eyebrows furrowed.

“She didn’t answer?” U-Kwon asked him and Zico shook his head no.

“It suddenly went to voicemail mid-ring.” Zico’s mouth formed a tight line in worry of something happening to you.

U-Kwon saw his face and got a grin on his own, “Zico, you’re worried about her?”

Zico snapped his head towards U-Kwon with wide eyes, “No. I’m not worried.”

U-Kwon bounded towards the couch and sat down next to Zico, “Yeah right. Sure you aren’t. Keep lying to yourself and she’ll end up with Jaehyo.”

Zico blinked at U-Kwon blankly, “Jaehyo? Where did that come from?”

U-Kwon shrugged and slumped down in his seat on the couch, “Well with the way he’s looking after her lately, I’d say he’s gotten over the complete hate phase and that only means he’s going to start liking her more and more. Next thing you know, she’ll be running to save him from passing out in the forest instead of you.”

Zico straightened up, “She ran to save me?” He paused and thought over the idea that made his chest feel suffocated and his stomach tingly.

U-Kwon was surprised with Zico’s expression now. He looked down at the coffee table, hiding his expression. “I guess you feel good then huh?” He tried his best to keep his voice upbeat though he faltered, something Zico caught immediately.

Zico grabbed the pillow beside him and threw it at U-Kwon’s face. It impacted and a stunned U-Kwon stared at him. Zico got a smile on his face, “Is your plan to make me jealous backfiring?”

U-Kwon got up from the couch quickly, not letting Zico see his face as he left.

Zico watched him leave before turning back around in the couch and taking a deep breath, “U-Kwon and me huh? Possibly Jaehyo? B-Bomb too. What a mess.” He ruffled his hair and laid down on the couch, “One thing at a time though. First, we have to find the necklace. I’ll worry about this matter afterward.” Still, he was slightly anxious. What if while he was focused on the necklace, someone snatched you away?

 

 

 

“You’re going to meet Sungjong?”

You looked up from your seat at your desk during lunch break to find Myungsoo standing there. “How else am I supposed to get my phone back?” You stood up from your desk and started walking towards the classroom doorway. Myungsoo followed you, seemingly having nothing better to do. You turned to him, irritated, “Can you not follow me? If you’re with me, you’ll attract unwanted attention.”

Myungsoo scoffed, “I’m pretty sure you attract unwanted attention whether I’m here or not.”

You glared at him, “Well no need to add onto it then huh? Go away.”

“L?”

You flinched at the voice. You knew whom it belonged to and had no intention of sticking around. You snarled at Myungsoo before taking off down the hall as fast as you could.

Myungsoo’s eyes widened due to how quickly you reacted and how quickly you got away. The owner of the voice approached him.

“You were with Hyunjoo? Did she say anything?”

Myungsoo turned his attention to the person now standing in front of him, Dongwoo, “Besides ‘go away’? No.” Dongwoo looked down the hall to where you disappeared.

“She ran away quickly.” Dongwoo knew for a fact you were a slower than the average runner so he was surprised you had vanished so quickly. “Sorry,” he turned to Myungsoo with a frown on his face, “I’m going to go look for her.”

Myungsoo watched as Dongwoo walked briskly down the hall where you had left down. He wondered only for a moment if he should spend time with Minah before he found himself walking down the hall in the opposite direction of Dongwoo.

 

 

 

Myungsoo reached the entrance of the building and opened the doors, looking around as he walked outside. That’s when he saw a shoe poking out from beside the bike racks even though there was no one standing there. He made his way over, feeling smug once he peered over and saw you kneeling there in hiding. He honestly didn’t know why he knew you’d be here. Maybe it was simply a lucky guess.

A chill ran down your spine as you felt someone standing above you. When you glanced up quickly from your peripheral, you quickly looked back down at your feet, “Dammit.” You cursed softly.

“Is this your official hiding spot now?” Myungsoo asked.

“Go away.” You growled at him though he didn’t move from his spot.

“Dongwoo is looking for you.”

You waved your hand in the air, shooing him away, “Then go before he finds me because of you.” 

“Weren’t you going to get your phone back during lunch? You can’t do that if you’re sitting on the dirt.” Myungsoo pointed out, much to your displeasure because he was right.

You stood up from your hiding place though did so cautiously. Once you were up, you looked around the vicinity for any other werewolves. There was no one thankfully, so you dusted off your pants and started the trek back into school. Myungsoo followed behind you and you turned almost immediately upon hearing his footsteps following yours.

“You’re following me again?” You asked him, annoyed with him.

“The classroom is this way if you forgot.”

You gritted your teeth and turned away from him before storming into the school, ducking past students to camouflage yourself.

Myungsoo stopped following you. He didn’t have any intention of returning inside the school at all. His feet moved into your direction whether he wanted to or not. He decided to go with it instead of question it anymore. That way, there was no reason to ponder what label to put onto the relationship between you and him because as far as you were concerned, he considered the two of you strangers who happened to be together.

 

 

 

You succeeded in reaching Sungjong’s classroom without much difficulty. No Dongwoo in sight as you entered. “Thank goodness.” You heaved a sigh as you entered the classroom. You looked around though you didn’t see Sungjong anywhere. The underclassman gave you curious looks. You turned to the boy closest to you, “Where is Sungjong?”

The boy blinked a few times as though he could not understand the question. You were about to give up when he suddenly answered, “Sungjong left awhile ago. He had a sudden phone call from home.”

You furrowed your eyebrows, “From home?”

The boy nodded, “He was talking to his older brother I think. It seemed like an emergency.” Before the boy could say more, a girl smacked him on the shoulder.

“Why are you telling her Sungjong’s business?” The girl hissed at him.

The boy rubbed his shoulder and frowned, “Well Sungjong likes her right? Plus, they used to be together all the time.”

“Used to,” The girl emphasized to him.

You ignored the girl’s comments and focused more on the fact that Sungjong left. If he was talking to a brother on the phone, then it must have been Sunggyu. If Sungjong left, you had no chance of getting your phone back. Instead of lingering longer in the classroom, you decided to leave and give up on the thoughts of getting your phone back. As you exited, the boy called out to you.

“I hope you make up with Sungjong soon. He’s not the same as he used to be.”

You gulped down and nodded quickly before leaving. 

 

 

 

“Hey.” U-Kwon greeted you as you arrived through the front door. He was leaning against the wall as he had the day you returned after talking to Woohyun on the hill. He had a rather relieved expression on his face though was suppressing it as much as he could.

You looked down at his feet and saw him wearing no shoes, “Leaving the house with socks again?” You looked up and gave him a queer look, “I’m starting to think you’re forgetting to put shoes on.”

U-Kwon’s upper lip twitched. He wanted to smile, you could tell. You dropped your bag by the door and walked towards him, “What are we having for dinner tonight? If P.O. is cooking again, I’d rather order pizza.”

U-Kwon reached out and pushed your left shoulder back, his playful mood returning, “You cook then.”

You stifled a laugh and raised your eyebrows at him, “Me? Cook? Alright, be prepared to start fighting over the bathroom with everyone else.”

U-Kwon reached out again and pushed your forehead back. Your eyes went wide. He got a devious smile on his face as he quickly turned around and went running down the hall. You raced after him as he laughed.

“U-Kwon!” You yelled his name in anger as you ran after him. You know you were being childish by getting worked up over such a small thing but U-Kwon was smiling again. Who cares what you had to act like to make that happen, as long as it did.

That’s when it hit you.

You stopped chasing him halfway up the stairs and stared down at your feet. Your eyes were shaking as your eyes began to water. You collapsed onto the stairs, feeling as though someone was stabbing you over and over again. Footsteps neared you now as your tears started to brim over the wall of your eyes.

“Hyunjoo? Why are you sitting there?” It was P.O.’s voice. The levee holding back your tears broke in an instant. He heard a whimper escape your throat and he went to you immediately, “Wait, are you crying? Why are you crying? Are you okay?” He kneeled next to you and before he could question you further, you wrapped your arms around his upper body and buried your face in his clothes.  

P.O’s upper body tensed and his hands remained by his sides, not knowing what to do. Soon, another person showed up. “What are you two doing there?” Taeil entered the scene and P.O looked up at him with a face that read, ‘help.’ Taeil heard you whimpering and he went to kneel beside P.O, “Why is she crying?” He asked P.O who merely shrugged his shoulders.

You let one of you hands unravel from around P.O’s body and hugged onto Taeil, grasping onto both of them as you kept your head down. More footsteps headed towards your location now. You heard a series of voices all talking to each other.

“What’s going on? Did you all bully her again?”

Caring B-Bomb.

“She seemed fine earlier when she was running after me.”

Sweet U-Kwon.

“You made her chase you around? She probably stubbed her toe on something.”

Sarcastic Kyung as always.

“Should I get the first aid kit?”

Quick to act Jaehyo.

“She doesn’t seem hurt. I think we should give her some time.”

Sensible Taeil.

“Maybe carry her to the couch? Though I don’t think I’m moving with how she’s latched on right now.”

Comedic P.O.

“Just take her to my room.”

And Zico. Leader Zico.

You couldn’t even stop your tears anymore as your face became soaked with them. Despite telling yourself not to, you went against the only rule you had set for yourself upon joining the hunters and betraying the werewolves.

You had become attached. 

---------

A/N: 

Can I just spazz over how awesome all of my readers are? Really, I'm just all bubbly and happy because of you guys for no apparent reason. I love you my readers!

Ahem, getting back to business, as for the chapter. It was longer this time I think. Definitely longer. Alot more happened in it than the last one so it's not as relaxing I suppose. Sorry~ But it was still enjoyable right? 

But oh no! Hyunjoo cares about the hunters! What's going to happen next? You're going to have to wait for the next chapter to find out~