XI

Springfield

“I’d tell you to come in but,” you turned, a sarcastic surprised look on your face, “oh look, you’re already inside.” You were referring to how Zico practically forced himself inside of your house and was now looking around inside the kitchen fridge. You, not quite believing he came unarmed, couldn’t just refuse outright. He ignored you as he continued to raid the fridge. You sighed and walked over. You leaned down and peered over his head, “Find Narnia yet?”

He backed out of the fridge, apparently he didn’t like your joke. He faked a laugh before playing along, “Oh yeah, it was loads of fun until I heard this little bee in my ear nagging at me.”

You scoffed at him, “That so? What a shame. I really wanted to meet Aslan too. But any longer and I swear you would’ve lost some of the brain cells you actually have left.” At that he didn’t retort to. He genuinely laughed.

You closed the fridge and leaned on it while he crossed his arms in front of his chest, “You know what, I like you. You’re different from the girls here in Springfield.” You narrowed your eyes at him, not understanding what kind of game he was playing with you. You turned and walked to the breakfast table to start unpacking your backpack. His narrow eyes watched your every move. Once you reached the table, he finally spoke again, “That’s why I don’t understand what you have to gain from being with a pack of werewolves.”

You went tense at the word, still not quite used to hearing it. You turned to him, using the table as something to lean back on, “Shooting people in plain sight isn’t that less dangerous is it?” You decided to play along with him. If anything, you’d get more information about what in the world was actually going on.

Zico stared at you in confusion before remembering. He made a fist and smacked it onto his palm as he recollected what happened, “Oh that. You see,” he pointed to his nose, “I’ve got this abnormal sense of smell. It usually doesn’t affect me that much in daily life but whenever there’s one of those monsters near I can smell them a mile off.”

You gulped down, “You mean the werewolves?”

Zico nodded, “That’s right. Though the downside is that my nose picks up places they’ve been and people they’ve been with so it’s hard to be precise. But when I focus hard enough,”

“You can find them?” You finished his sentence. He smirked at how quickly you caught onto things.

“I knew that werewolf was somewhere around here but I didn’t think he was inside someone’s house. I shot into the air in order to see if he would go running but there he went, the same werewolf we had been chasing for four days, just waltzing down the middle of the road.” He pretended his two fingers were Hoya’s legs as he made them go back and forth in the air. “I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised. Especially after attacking us like he did.” 

You pouted at the look he gave you, “And why are you telling me this?”

Zico pursed his lips as if he himself didn’t even have an answer to your question. He walked up to you, making you go on the defensive again. Honestly, you had no intentions of getting stabbed by this imaginary werewolf hunter or whatever he was. Instead, he walked right past you and took a seat at the kitchen table. He propped up his boots onto the table as he leaned back in the wooden chair, “Maybe I trust you.”

For a moment, your heart skipped a beat. For that single moment, Zico was all you could see in front of you. Not your dad who left, not your mom who didn’t care anymore, not the gentle Hoya, not the funny Woohyun, and most definitely not the harsh Myungsoo and Dongwoo. You couldn’t see any of it. Didn’t care about any of it.

Suddenly, the sound of a phone ringing broke your train of thought. You realized what you were thinking and quickly shook your head no. This was the same guy who shot Hoya, almost killed him even. This man was dangerous. No, is dangerous. You bit your lip and breathed out as Zico answered his phone.

“Hey, Jaehyo. What’s up?”

You ignored him and walked over to the front door, your hand clasping onto the doorknob. 

“Yeah, I’m busy but go ahead.” He listened in silence as the other voice spoke. You were amazed Zico could actually keep his mouth shut that long. Suddenly, his face became serious. He got a deep frown on his face and his eyes stared into space as if he was about to kill whatever he was looking at. “I’ll be right there.” He said before hanging up the phone. He looked up at you, his killing intent not leaving his eyes, “I have to go.”

You turned the knob of the door that you had been holding onto and opened it, “Good, saves me the trouble of telling you to get out.” He had no retort as he walked out the front door. When you were about to close it though he grabbed your free arm tightly. You made a displeased face as you glared at him.

“You’re attractive and my style, so I wasn’t rough with you this time but next time I see you with those monsters, those werewolves,” he paused, clearing his throat in order to calm his building anger, “Next time I do, there will be no questions. I’ll pull the trigger on anyone who gets in my way.”

You wrangled free from him, “I’ll keep that in mind.” You snarled at him. He laughed one more time before you slammed the door in his face and locked it.

“I’m serious Hyunjoo,” He yelled from outside. Your lip twitched at the sound of him calling your name. “As far as I’m concerned, you’re already one of them.” 

--------------------

A/N: I enjoyed the Zico interaction in this chapter. Did you?

See you all next chapter :)

Don't forget to comment (don't be a silent reader) about your thoughts on the story.