XC

Springfield

 

“Another one?” Dongwoo complained as he let his head sink into the pillow in his lap. Hoya knocked the side of Dongwoo’s head lightly with his fist. Dongwoo only sighed into his pillow, not at all comforted by the action. Sungyeol came up from behind the couch and hugged Dongwoo’s neck tightly while laughing. “Quit it! I don’t want to watch another!” Dongwoo protested as Sungyeol messed with him. Sungjong laughed at the ensuing teasing. Dongwoo was only thankful Sunggyu had to work the night shift at the convenience store and wasn’t there to further.

B-Bomb laughed silently to himself was he watched the exchange. It was as though he was at home with the hunters. Of course, Zico would have been much rougher with P.O. and Kyung would have to no end. Still, it was as though the werewolves were real brothers. It was the same with him and the hunters. They may have not had the same parents but their bond was that of real brothers.

B-Bomb leaned back in the couch and put his hands into his pockets. He felt something inside of his left pocket and felt around for what it was. He sat up immediately upon realizing what it was. It was your bracelet. He had forgotten to give it to you today when he saw you. He thought about calling you to tell you to come pick it up, maybe even invite you to watch the movie marathon he and the werewolves were currently watching.

“You want popcorn?” Hoya suddenly asked him from next to him. B-Bomb’s tongue drifted over his lips on reflex. Hoya laughed at the look on B-Bomb’s face and slapped his left shoulder, gesturing him to follow, before standing up.

B-Bomb got up and headed into the kitchen with Hoya, his hand drifting out of his pocket and his thoughts of calling you nowhere to be found.

 

 

 

“L!” Woohyun jogged up to Myungsoo and Minah, the two seeming to have plans for the afternoon. It had been awhile since Myungsoo actually went anywhere with Minah so Myungsoo being with her was not what Woohyun had expected. “You two going out somewhere?”

Woohyun had made plans with Myungsoo beforehand about going to the lake tonight. The two were supposed to go hunting together. Myungsoo seemed surprised by Woohyun’s appearance, “Sorry. I made other plans.” Myungsoo glanced at Minah from his peripheral who was grinning at Woohyun, trying to make the best impression she possibly could, “Important plans.” He emphasized and Woohyun knew in an instant why there was such a sudden change to Myungsoo’s plans for the day.

“You should’ve texted me.” Woohyun laughed, not giving anything away to Minah about the secret conversation he and Myungsoo had just exchanged.

Myungsoo didn’t reciprocate his action. Instead, he froze in place. He reached into his pockets with both hands and looked down. His eyebrows scrunched together and he shrugged his bag off of his shoulder. He ped it and began to fish inside of it. Minah looked on in worry, not sure why he was so flustered. “I don’t have my phone.” Myungsoo announced.

“You don’t?” Woohyun reached into his back pocket and without a second thought tossed Myungsoo his own phone. “Just use mine. I’m going home now anyway.” Now that Myungsoo had somewhere to go, Woohyun would just end up going home which meant there would be no need for him to use his phone. Plus, if something happened, Myungsoo would need to contact them somehow.

“Thanks.” Myungsoo slipped Woohyun’s phone into his pocket. “I must have left mine at home this morning.”

Woohyun nodded once, “No problem. Well, I won’t take up anymore of your time together.” He humored Minah who literally bounced in place once in excitement. Woohyun ignored the eye contact she was trying to make with him and waved casually to Myungsoo before departing.

“Woohyun is nice.” Minah smiled in a sickeningly sweet way as she blinked her doe eyes innocently at Myungsoo.

“Yeah, he is.” A bit too nice is what Myungsoo wanted to add at the end but he kept his thoughts to himself this time.

 

 

 

He never expected such a situation to happen. He thought he would have to endure at least a good hour or two listening to Minah’s self-absorbed chatter before he even caught sight of the man who he was here to see. Yet here he was. Here Myungsoo was sitting right inside of the Mayor’s office not even five minutes after he arrived at the house.

“My Minah must have told you I wanted to talk to you for a while now.” The Mayor inspected his hands as he sat at his desk. Already, Myungsoo didn’t like where this was going.

“I apologize for not coming sooner.” Myungsoo bowed his head respectfully, knowing his place no matter how much he hated it.

“You don’t have to apologize. I’m sure you have been busy handling your own problems.” The Mayor showed a toothy grin as his hands came to a rest on his desk together.

Myungsoo knew he was referring to the bouts the werewolves had had with the hunters. Though that was going on then, a main reason he wouldn’t come despite being absolutely free was because he rather not have to deal with the family who lived in the house he now sat in.

“I do hope we are still on good terms after all of this though.” The mayor stood from his desk, his fingers skimming across the red polished wooden surface as he walked around it. He came to a rest in front of his desk and leaned back, his arms crossing against his chest as he smiled, “We are on good terms are we not?”

Myungsoo nods once, remaining passive.

The mayor’s smile twitched, almost transforming into an irritated frown, “Speak up. I didn’t want to see you just to have a one-sided conversation with myself. Speak up and tell me what you really want to hear come out of my mouth.”

What Myungsoo really wanted to hear? Of course anything to do with the necklace. Anything besides that he felt was a waste of his time but he knew he shouldn’t say that.

Yet, isn’t that what the Mayor wanted to hear? Why else would he want to talk? There was nothing connecting Myungsoo and the Mayor besides the necklace that the mayor held above him and the rest of the pack. Looking past pleasantries, the only conversation worth while to be had between the two was about that. So why hide such an obvious fact? Instead, Myungsoo thought about a different question he had for the mayor.

“Why did you want to see me in the first place?” Myungsoo asked, taking the mayor by surprise. His smile faded and his eyebrows furrowed together. It was obvious he was getting aggravated due to Myungsoo’s actions.

“Why else?” The mayor’s hands lowered from his chest and slid into the front pockets of his suit pants. “It’s about what you want of course.” The mayor said it first, a bit annoyed that his little plan to have Myungsoo reveal the topic first failed due to the young man’s wit.

“Then talk.” Myungsoo responded calmly. His tone was one that said ‘talk or I’ll just leave now.’

The mayor clenched his teeth together. He turned slightly and lifted a folder from his desk before standing from his leaning position. He approached Myungsoo and laid the folder down onto the coffee table, “Rather than talk. I should simply show you what I have to offer you.” Myungsoo glanced down at it, “Oh, there’s one more thing.”

Myungsoo looked up and his eyes widened. He quickly shifted from his position on the couch and went dodging to the right but while his upper body was safe, his lower body was not.

An electric shock of pain ran through Myungsoo’s nerves. He gripped onto the side of the couch for support and looked down to the exterior region of his thigh that was now dripping red. The Mayor lowered the item he had just shoved into Myungsoo’s face only a moment before, a loaded gun.

“You almost dodged it.” The mayor twirled his gun in his hands, “I was worried for a moment.” He heartily laughed and the sound echoed through the silence that now engulfed the room.

Myungsoo in a deep breath as his mind reeled. He had to think of what to do next and fast. He could feel his leg starting to numb up, his regenerative abilities hindered for some unknown reason. His breath hitched as he skimmed his hand over his jeans, blood pouring from his wound. As his fingers skimmed upwards, he felt a bulge in his pocket and a plan formed in his mind. The bulge he felt was a phone, Woohyun’s phone. Myungsoo quickly reached into his pocket and produced from it the phone.

“Even at point blank I nearly missed. Your people are one remarkable race.”

Myungsoo took advantage of the Mayor’s lack of attention on him and pressed redial, hoping the person on the other side would pick up.

“I used a silencer at the end here,” The mayor tapped the end of his gun in admiration, “So my girl Minah and my darling wife, who both happen to be leaving for the grocery store right about now, won’t be running up here any time soon.”

He heard a low click, muffled by the laughter that was now coming from the Mayor’s vocal cords. A low moan came from his mouth involuntarily as his hand slipped from the couch which caused the couch’s wooden legs to screech against the floor as it shifted. Myungsoo cradled the phone close to his chest, out of sight.

“You should be feeling quite weak now.” The mayor talked from a few feet away from Myungsoo, his voice sounding quite pleased.

Myungsoo let his eyes travel down to the phone and he felt his whole body go numb from what he saw. The name flashing on the screen was ‘Hyunjoo.’ You. He had called you. Of all people for Woohyun to have called last, it had to be you. 

“Like your body is on fire. Yearning to just be burnt off and toasted into a crisp. That’s Wolfsbane for you. The regular ol’ herb always does do the trick.” Myungsoo drew his attention away from the phone, his ears perking up at the mention of wolfsbane. That was why he wasn’t healing. That was why he could feel his body heating up, numbness spreading from his leg upwards. He tried to fight against it, willing himself to let go, to leave his human pain behind. He could feel his muscles straining to do what he willed them to do. He clenched his teeth as he felt electric shocks traveling through him. Something was wrong.

“Ah ah ah,” The mayor scolded, “Don’t try to transform on me now. That’ll only speed up the flow of Wolfsbane through your veins. You’ll be wishing you were dead without me having to lift a finger.”

Myungsoo let out rough breaths as he attempted to stand, failing himself as he simply slumped back down onto the floor harmlessly. The mayor let out a hearty laugh at the sight of Myungsoo so powerless in front of him.

“Now, I understand I am not taken as seriously as I would like to be. Your friends ventured somewhere they were not supposed to go and were even aided in escaping by those who I rather not bring up at the moment.” The mayor took steps closer to Myungsoo and he buried the phone closer to his chest, “So I thought to myself about how I can show both your friends and those people who and who not to try to trick.”

Myungsoo felt his strength slipping away. His once rough breathing became a soft wind. “Dammit,” he cursed in one strained drawl, his eyes fluttering, threatening to close on him.

“Oh, no, are you going to pass out on me? I’m afraid you won’t be able to hear what my plans for you are.”

The mayor took steps towards Myungsoo until he was right in front of him. Myungsoo’s grip on the phone started to loosen, causing the screen to pull slightly away from the shelter of his upper body. The mayor’s eyes widened in shock for a moment when he caught sight of the small flash of light. Then, he once more remembered who held the power in this situation and his mouth contorted into a smirk.

“What’s this, you called someone? Oh no, what should we do about that person now?” The mayor leaned down, his hand reaching out in an attempt to pull the phone from Myungsoo’s limp hand.

Myungsoo felt fear rise in him. His thoughts raced about what would happen if the mayor saw it was you who he called. A shriek rang through his ears, your voice which screamed out of terror in his imagination led him to act quickly on impulse. He used the last remaining strength he had left as he gripped the phone tight in both hands and snapped it in half, completely making it unusable.

He let out one breath as his nerves relaxed. For some reason, his eyelids were failing on him and he could have cared less. He could hear the mayor cursing at him from above. He let the overwhelming numbness take over. He was okay with letting go of his consciousness now. A wave of relief washed through him as his eyes finally closed and he knew one thing was certain.

You were safe.

 

 

 

You drove like a madwoman down the road. You didn’t think of anything lest your imagination run wild with countless gory possibilities. Instead, you focused on your current objective. Getting to the werewolves. No one was answering their phone so what else could you do?

As you sped down the road, you caught sight of someone walking down the sidewalk, headphones in his ears. You stopped the car, the screeching of tires on the road made the person look up. “Hyunjoo? What’s up?” Woohyun’s mouth formed a cheesy smile in reflex upon seeing your face and he took his headphones out, excited to see you. You shut the door and stormed up to him. He tucked his chin slightly in, startled as you came to a stop in front of him. “What is it?” He asked.

Your expression did not look good. Your eyes were slanted downwards, your eyebrows pinched together, as your eyes clouded over with worry. Woohyun knew something was wrong. Before he could ask, you gripped onto the sleeves of his shirt and tugged down on them, making him lean down to your level.

“Myungsoo! Something happened to Myungsoo!”

------

A/N:

Looks like Woohyun wasn't with Myungsoo. Excited to find out what happens next? Well you won't have to wait long. Tomorrow is the next update so wait patiently till then.

 

 

Anyone spazzing over this week's updates like I am?