I

Springfield

The rain created a thick fog that blinded your sight as you drove down the road in your vintage red buggie. You strained your eyes to stay open as you fought off two days of sleeplessness on your way to your new house. At least you knew you were less than fifty miles away from your destination based off of what the sign an hour ago read. The windshield wipers had no effect on the rain as it continued to downpour. You looked to your phone, which had lost gps signal thirty minutes ago. Today didn’t seem like your lucky day, not that you had had many of those.

The car hit a bump in the road, causing the car to jump, and you to hit your knee. You winced from the pain and looked down. You sighed, if only you could’ve come with your mother, instead of alone like this. It was scary being alone in this type of situation and you for one always hated being alone. You looked back up at the road which was still only slightly visible from beneath the car’s headlights.

You thought of your warm bed back home and your eyelids started to drop. The car passed by an unreadable sign as it continued down the road. You let your eyes close, just for a moment. The road seemed to go on straight for forever after all so a few seconds wouldn’t hurt.

As the car hit another bump, your eyes snapped open. You narrowed your eyes to focus them onto the road again. Your eyes widened when you saw two dark brown animal-like eyes reflect themselves in the head lights of the car. You tightened your grip on the steering wheel and swerved. The wheels of the car screeched on the wet ground and the car spun multiple times. You pushed down on the brake which caused your body to fling forward and your head to hit the steering wheel.

Your mind blanked as you slowly drifted away into the darkness of your eyelids. It didn’t take long until you lost consciousness.

 

 

 

A rough bump made you flinch awake. Your eyes groggily attempted to focus on your surroundings. You recognized it as the backseat of a car. Your fingers went to feel the seat and you soon realized it was leather. As your vision got clearer, you saw the color beige around you. You reached for your head and something slipped off of your body. It’s outline was that of a jacket. You didn’t think it was yours but that thought was put out of your mind as you felt another rough shake of the car as it hit another bump.

“Were they nearby?”

Your ears perked at the sound of someone’s voice. It was clear but most definitely a boy’s voice.

“Hoya went to check it out.”

There was a second voice. You thought it seemed more hoarse and rough but once more, there was no doubt it belonged to a boy as well. You forced your aching head to look over towards the voices. There was a figure in the driver’s seat of the car. All you could see was the side of his face, and it was blurry at that.

“Alone? They’ve been more violent lately.” The clearer voice spoke, it definitely belonged to the driver of the car.

“You can’t expect the other’s to be able to see through this fog. Damn, I can barely see my hands in front of my face out there. Hoya’ll sniff ‘em out for us.” The rough voice said.

“Well, thanks for helping anyways.”

“With the girl?”

Your eyes started the close from lack of sleep. You wouldn’t be able to keep listening for long.

“Yeah.”

“No problem. Couldn’t just leave her out there could we? Though it’s not like you to actually care about what happens to humans.”

The car hit another bump in the road.

“Dammit, are we almost there?” The rough voice was like slight music to your eyes as your eyes finally gave in and shut closed.

“Almost.”

Your mind drifted again as you lost consciousness for the second time, giving in to the darkness willingly this time.

 

 

 

Your eyes slowly opened then squinted when the sun hit them. You sat up slowly and looked around you. It was a bedroom. Your bedroom. You could tell from the items inside. Your computer.  Your family photos. You got up from the bed, finding your head pounding.

That’s when you remembered. The thing you saw last night. You got up quickly, no matter how much you stumbled due to your dizziness. You left the room and immediately saw the stairs. You ran for them, searching for the voices from the night before. As you reached the top, the front door of the house opened. The person who entered looked at you with a curious face.

“Hey honey, you got here earlier than I thought. Did you find the house alright?”

You narrowed your eyes at your mom. Your head pounded as the adrenaline from before slowly left your system.  When you didn’t answer her, she shrugged and closed the door behind herself.

“Take a shower and come down for breakfast.”

You walked down the stairs and followed her into what looked like the kitchen of the house. You looked around in confusion. Your mom turned, jumping in surprise when she found you standing right behind her.

“You scared me!” She looked you over, “Did you sleep in those clothes?”

You looked down at your clothes, the same ones you had worn the night before. You looked at her, pleading with her, “Mom, did you bring me here last night?”

Your mom tilted her head at you, “What? I’ve seen you for the first time in a week just now. Now hurry up and go take a shower, it’s the second day of school today. I thought you would miss the whole first week but good thing you got here early huh?” She smacked your for you to hurry on up the stairs. You listened to her and went up the stairs.

You rubbed your aching forehead. The voices from last night were still as clear as day in your memory. You looked around what you thought to be the new home your mom had bought for the two of you.

“Was it just a dream?”

-----------------------------

A/N: First Chapter done of many to come! 

Don't be a silent reader~