LIII

Springfield

 

The doorbell rang, causing her to stop what she was doing. She put down the mail that she was going through and walked to the door, her heels clicking on the hardwood floor. As she passed by the window, she caught view of the line of houses across the street that were just as grand as hers. All at least two stories and made of brick and stone. She passed under the grand white archway that lead into the living room and arrived at the door. When she peaked through the peephole, she caught sight of something she expected. She opened the door with a smile on her face, “Hyunjoo.”

“Hey Tiffany.” You responded back to her. Just as you expected, she didn’t look surprised that you visited her.

“I would invite you in but you look like you’re not here for pleasantries.” Tiffany said as she closed the front door behind her and stepped outside with you. She gestured you to the bench on the porch. You went and sat down. She did the same and sat down next to you, “So, what did you come for?”

You breathed out and gripped both of your hands in your lap, “What do you have to do with the necklace?”

Tiffany’s eyes went wide, “You already know what it is? You figured things out faster than I thought you would.” You opened your mouth to say more but she stopped you. She put a finger to and shook her head no. “I can’t answer any more of your suspicions. You need to figure this out yourself, I told you that already.”

“Tiffany please, I know you know exactly what’s going on. I can’t just sit by and watch as my friends get hurt for reasons I don’t know about.” You pleaded with determined eyes.

Tiffany looked down and sighed. She looked back up at you, the emotion that flashed by her eyes made you flinch back. It was the same. The same pity that you saw in the eyes of the unknown wolf the night you followed Zico. “I can’t say any more. Not because I don’t want to but because it’s not my place. You need to get involved because you want to not because I revealed everything to you. You need to make the decision to get in the middle of things.” Tiffany paused for a moment and a smile made it’s way onto her face, “Though I can already see you’re more than ready to do just that.” She stood up from the bench and looked down at you, “The first step is to talk to someone closer to the problem than I am. You shouldn’t have trouble figuring out who that is.”

She was right, the person’s name came to you in an instant, “Sunggyu.” You said out loud.

“Good luck.” She said with a smile.

You stood up from the bench as well and bowed politely, “Thank you.” You said before running off the porch to get back to your car.

Tiffany watched you get into the car and drive off. Her encouraging smile faded and all that was left was a sad one instead. Suddenly, the front door opened. A man with a cane stepped out and looked off into the direction you had just disappeared.

Tiffany was so absorbed in thought she hadn’t noticed him until he coughed a few moments later. “Grandfather!”

Her grandfather looked at her and smiled, the side of his eyes forming wrinkles, “I see you decided to give her a little push.”

Tiffany’s surprised expression faded away and a sullen one once more replaced it, “She would have found out sooner or later. She’s quick witted.”

“You did the right thing.” He told her.

She looked down, her eyebrows furrowing together in confliction. She didn’t feel like she did anything right. She had only dragged you down quicker into everything. Though it would have happened eventually, she now felt as though she impacted what your decision was going to be.

Tiffany’s grandfather didn’t take notice of her inner conflict and instead got a calm expression as he nodded approvingly, “Now all we have to do is wait and watch.”

 

 

 

“Sunggyu!” You called as you quickly shut the door of your car closed. Sunggyu turned around, apparently he had just gotten home. He was surprised to see you though he quickly shook it off, figuring you were there for Dongwoo, Sungjong, Hoya, or Sungyeol. After all, every time you came over it was to see one of them. However, then he noticed the look on your face.

“What’s wrong?” He asked as you made your way up to him. He looked around the area, thinking the hunters had planned something again. Yet, his nose caught not one trace of the hunters’ presence.

“Can we talk?” You asked him. He blinked a few times blankly. You wanted to talk to him? But about what? Every time you two talked it always ended up having something to do with…

“You got yourself into trouble again?” He disapprovingly snarled.

You shook your head no, “I wanted to talk to you about the necklace.” If you could describe how he looked like now in one word, it would be ‘mind-blown.’ It looked like that phrase was the last thing he expected to come out of your mouth. You would have laughed at succeeding in throwing him off guard if this weren’t such a serious topic.

After he got over his surprise, his face got angry. So angry it scared you. You were surprised to say the least. He had never looked at you this way before. It was like you had a special talent for stepping on ticking time bombs with people. “Go home.” He growled lowly at you.

“Sunggyu-“ You called to him but he only shoved you away from him.

“Go home and forget about whatever you’re thinking about right now. This isn’t your fight.” He turned towards the front door again and used his key to open it.

You started to get angry. Everyone you were talking to kept telling you it wasn’t your problem when it was. You were already too in deep into things to just pretend nothing was going on. Why was everyone so intent on keeping you ignorant and naïve?

“Can’t I help you fight? Why do I have to stand on the sideline? Why do I have to constantly be the ignorant damsel in distress?” You questioned him as you clenched your fists. He gave no answer as he entered the house and shut the door behind himself. He spared you no glance either. You felt your heart breaking bit by bit. Before you knew it, you found yourself driving towards the only place you had left to go to. The last place you could go for answers.

 

 

 

You gulped down as your hand hovered over the front door. You knew this wasn’t right, knew that you shouldn’t be here. But where else could you go? You already knew most of the details now.

First, what Sunggyu and the other werewolves are looking for is a necklace. You had heard him say that to Myungsoo when they talked about it. Second, you knew that the mayor was the one who took it and hid it behind a gate. That you learned from Tiffany the day she visited you at school. Third, Zico couldn’t get past a gate in the woods. That you learned when you followed him. Fourth, Zico was also looking for a necklace. That you heard from B-Bomb. So then, you could only conclude that the Mayor took the necklace and hid it behind the gate and that both the Zico and the werewolves want it. Only, Zico is the only one who knows where this gate is. And you, who absentmindedly followed him that day, had no idea how to get back to that place.

That led you to the situation you were in right now. If you found out how to get the necklace, you could help get the werewolves out of the mayor’s clutches. Not only that, but it seemed much more important to them than just some old necklace. You wanted to do something for them after everything they did for you. That determination plus your own curiosity about the secrets surrounding the necklace drove you to finally knocking on the door you stood in front of.

Your heart beat grew faster and you had to take deep breaths to keep yourself calm. What you were about to do would definitely not sit well with anyone you now called ‘friend.’ But still, you needed to. If no one else would listen to you, you had no where else to go.

The door opened and you were greeted by a less than excited face.

Zico leaned onto the archway with one arm and gave you a lazy drawl, “Back again?”

You looked up at him and breathed out, ready to face whatever this decision would cause to happen. “Remember when you said I come over so often I should just join up with you guys?” He blinked a few times, confused at first but then, a smirk made its way onto his face. He didn’t answer you but instead awaited your next words, “If the offer is still on the table, I’d like to take you up on that.”

-----------

A/N:

Another early update! (I think I might just update in the mornings from now on...well its morning for me anyway)

I would say this is a new beginning for the story. What do you think about it? I'd like to see your thoughts on it (whether it be outright yelling or acceptance). Also, alot of the stories that get featured are very good so the fact that you guys think I should have more subscribers than I do now makes me all happy inside. Hopefully others can start to like this story as well (though I will always and forever cherish my lovely 48 :) )

P.S. I was not aware you could not see the poster on mobile devices. Sorry! TT^TT

Leave a comment below if you fancy doing so~