XXVII

Springfield

“Does this have something to do with what happened last night?”

No one said anything. You could tell though that Hoya was thinking about how to say it in words that actually sounded good.

“Yes.” Myungsoo answered. He had a sour attitude as usual but it was always him you could count on for a straight up answer.

“But it’s not what you think!” Sungjong quickly defended. His voice was frantic and cracked a bit just as your stubborn attitude did as you heard it. You bit your lip and looked down at your lap. Your shoulders slouched over as you thought over things. You breathed out and looked back up.

“Then tell me what to think.” You said. Hoya looked up at you, his warm eyes showering you with gratitude that you don’t really think you did much to earn. “Those five people, what happened to them?” You asked.

Sunggyu shook his head no, “We don’t hurt humans. No matter how much we hate them.”

Dongwoo immediately backed him up, “That’s like yelling to the authorities, ‘Here we are! Come get us!’” At the very least this settled your fears about them actually killing people. But then that rose another question.

“Then who did?” You asked. Both went silent once more. Hoya looked up from his feet and opened his mouth to say something. Your heart skipped a beat. For once, you could understand everything that was going on. For once, you would actually get an answer to one of your questions.

“It wasn’t us.” Sunggyu interrupted Hoya. His voice was stern as he gave Hoya a glare. “That’s all that matters.” He turned to you now, the look on his face telling you to stop getting curious.

You breathed in. It was all you could do to stop yourself from lashing out on Sunggyu for once more holding back half of the truth. “Alright fine then. Where’s Woohyun?” You asked, changing the subject. If all you were going to get was blocked and told to be quiet from this conversation than it might as well just be changed.

You’re topic change was much appreciated as the mood got a bit lighter in the room. “He’s with Sungyeol. They went to buy dinner.” Hoya answered.

Dongwoo cracked a smile. It was something that actually made you grateful that you had changed the topic from earlier. “Come to think of it, will we even eat tonight? Sending those two off anywhere is a bad idea.” He laughed, “The blind leading the blind.” From what he said you could tell Woohyun and this Sungyeol guy must’ve not been good with directions. Sungjong jeered at his comment though hid his amusement behind by covering his mouth.

“I’ll call them.” Myungsoo reached into his pants pocket and slipped his phone out. He pressed speed dial seven and waited as he held it to his ear.

“There are some noodles left in the cupboard.” Hoya remembered. You shook your head at the normality of the conversation. After all that happened, it seemed odd to be sitting here with five werewolves discussing what they would have for dinner that night.

You stood up from your seat on the couch. With your luck, if you had stayed any longer than you needed to then your mom would decide to pop up at home for a surprise visit. If you weren’t there when she did, all hell would break loose. You never liked walking to school. Also, you wouldn’t be able to come to this house whenever you wanted. Though that reason was selfish, you knew you would find times where you’d want to come back here. Just the thought of leaving now made you miss it already.

“I’m leaving then.” You said no matter how difficult it was. You slid your keys from your pants pocket and gathered your sweater onto your shoulders again.

“Hey, Sungyeol?” Myungsoo finally got through.

“Want me to go with you?” Hoya stood up from his seat and asked. You gave him an amused look.

“For what? The big bad hunters are going attack or something?” You joked.

“Who is this?” Myungsoo growled through his teeth. His voice however came out more as a yell. You turned to look at Myungsoo. His facial features exuded pure rage. But why? “Where’s Sungyeol?” He snarled menacingly.

“L what’s wrong?” Sunggyu went tense and got closer to Myungsoo on the couch. He focused his ear drums in order to hear the voice on the other side of the phone. You got closer as well as everyone else. Though you didn’t have to get that close to realize who it was that Myungsoo was talking to.

“Come and get him.” The voice said. A voice you would recognize anywhere.

Zico’s voice.

Your joke had become real. You should’ve known that the happy dinner mood wouldn’t last. You should’ve known that with werewolves, nothing was normal.

 

 

Your lips trembled at the thought of Woohyun being in the same condition as Hoya was that day on your doorstep. You couldn’t imagine the reality of blood flowing from wounds on his body  and his sweat pouring off of him; the color drained from his face. Even if he was superhuman he wasn't indestructible. He could be...dead. That thought brought back all the tenseness you had while you were driving to their house.

Sunggyu immediately stood from his seat and zipped towards the entrance. He had moved so quickly all you saw was a blur rush by you. Soon, Hoya, Myungsoo, and Dongwoo all disappeared one after another in the same way. The only one left was Sungjong. He looked at you wearily. He wanted to go. He really did. But he couldn't leave you alone here. His Hyungs were more than enough to handle it. But still...

"It's alright. Go save them." You assured him with a nod. He stared at you, lips parted, for a moment before listening to your words and disappearing as well.

You breathed out as you heard one last slam of the door that was Sungjong closing it behind himself.

You reached into your pocket and stared at your cellphone. You gulped down as you flipped it open and started browsing through your contacts. You stopped when you saw who you were looking for and went to press the call button. Your finger only lingered for a moment before you decided that what you were doing was necessary. You had to know if Woohyun and mystery boy Sungyeol were okay.

You put the phone to your ear and it wasn't long before someone answered.

You could hear his light breathing on the other side of the phone. "The old watermill by Springfield Lake." A familiar, warm voice spoke up.

Your features softened as he answered your question before you could ask it. "How are you feeling?" You made small talk as you stood up from the couch and headed to the door.

You heard silence in response to your question. After a moment, the voice on the other side spoke again, "Good as new. Hurry and get here though. I don't feel like going through that again." You laughed a bit at his joke.

"Alright, I'm on my way. Distract them for a while?"

"You're asking me to distract a pack of revenge hungry animals?" There was a pause, "Easy enough." You could just see the smile on his face. The same smile he had given you as he was dragged out of your sight into a pickup truck. Before he could hang up, you stopped him,

"B-Bomb, thank you."

"Hurry."

You nodded and hung up the phone. You were now grateful he gave you his phone number after the brawl from before. You were unsure if you should take it back then but now you were more than happy to have it. It looked like you were going to be grounded for a few more weeks as you gripped your keys in your hand and headed out the front door.