LXXI

Springfield

 

The first emotion that flashed across his face was fear. He wasn’t scared of you. He was scared of what he could do to you, what he did do to you. His eyes went to your arm on reflex. He still remembered what if felt like to rip through your skin with his claws. It felt like someone had just ripped him a new one. He hated it. He was blinded by his urge to kill. He couldn’t stop himself in time and he blamed himself for it. He wanted to stay as far away from you as possible right now. He didn’t feel like himself and he needed to gain control of his senses again. Then, then he’d be ready to see you again.

Now that you appeared in front of him again, he couldn’t help but wonder if in a past life he was a mass murderer. The fact that Woohyun told him about the talk he had with you only further deepened his guilt. His eyes went to the bag in your hands. The name of the medication on the bag was a type of painkiller.

You pursed your lips at him upon seeing the look on his face, “I’ll leave in a moment. I just needed some help to get away from a situation.” He didn’t say anything, his eyes simply stayed on your frame. You were tense at the silence between the two of you. “Alright. I’ll just go then.” You sighed and turned to go. He didn’t stop you, what did stop you was the person who was just a few steps away from you now.

“I brought you some juice Sunggyu-oppa.” The girl froze when she saw you. Her smiling face was replaced with a scowl, “What are you doing here?”

Weren’t hospitals public places? Or what? You couldn’t come to a hospital when you needed to? You didn’t voice out these thoughts of yours but instead bowed before gripping your purse strap and turning to go.

You eyed her from your peripheral as you walked away. You knew her. She was one of Minah’s friends from school. Her first name was Yura. You didn’t remember her last name.

“Here you go Sunggyu-oppa.” You watched as she handed him one of the cans of juice in her hand. He thoughtfully accepted it. She took a seat down next to him now, “Myungsoo told me in the hall just now that Minah is still in the examination room. It might be a little longer before she’s done.”  

Sunggyu nodded in response before his eyes darted towards the entrance of the hospital, towards you. You immediately looked away from him before quickening your pace and leaving.

“Did she bother you Sunggyu-oppa?” Yura asked him as she peaked at your back before you walked through the automatic doors. Sunggyu shook his head no. Yura smiled, “Good then. She’s not the most sociable of people so she usually bothers people easily.”

Sunggyu nodded, “I know.”

Yura was stunned by his quick answer. The way he said it made her feel like he was telling her he knew you better than she ever could. It also sounded as though he was telling her to shut up. Yura gripped the can of juice in her hand and got up the courage to talk to him again, “Thanks for driving us here by the way. Minah and I. Her father was too busy with work . When Myungsoo offered to take us, we didn’t expect you to be the one doing the driving. So, thank you.” She leaned over so that she could get into his line of sight before flashing a smile his way.

Sunggyu looked towards her though did not smile back, “Did L say anything about her condition? Is it just a cold or something else?”

Yura figured that by L, Sunggyu meant Myungsoo, “No he didn’t. I’m sure she’ll be fine though.” Sunggyu didn’t say anything in response. Instead, he leaned back in his seat, slouched down, and rested the back of his neck on the top of the chair. She was going to say something again when she realized he had closed his eyes. She frowned in dissatisfaction. She couldn’t even count how many times she had tried to get his attention at the mayor’s parties. In fact, when he was a second year in high school, she was a first year. She had had a crush on him for three years now.

She remembered learning about the boy in second year who had been held back because he never showed up at school. Then, she remembered learning the reason. His grandfather had died after he graduated middle school. She didn’t understand how he could have held himself back because of something like that. So, he intrigued her. Soon, she found herself drawn to him, as well as many other girls. Yet he didn’t budge in the least. He never was involved in any kind of romance related gossip. That all changed when you came to town.

All of a sudden, all she heard about was how you two went to the mayor’s party together before leaving it inside of his car. That you were his girlfriend. She’d be lying if that didn’t make her hold resentment towards you. You easily made a connection with the boy she had been after for years. So yes, she did slightly hate you.

Yura stared at Sunggyu’s strained face. There was no doubt in her mind that he was thinking about you. Why did you have to show up just when she got to actually be by his side for even a moment? She felt her hatred of you grow bigger.

Sunggyu took deep breaths, causing his chest to go up and down slowly. He wondered for a moment what the hell he was doing just sitting here. He should have gone after you. But then, fear of hurting you settled in the back of his mind once more. His legs made no motion to go after you.

 

 

 

You sighed as you exited the hospital. “So he’s hanging out with Yura now?” You gripped tightly onto the bag of medicine in your hands. You felt like you were being replaced. You were jealous however you had no right to be. Still, you couldn’t stop the feeling of being stabbed with a knife over and over into your chest.

“Hyunjoo.” A voice called you. You, startled, looked up in alarm. You met eyes with the last person you expected to see today.

You quickly hid the medicine in your hand behind your back, “Zico.” You stared at him, stunned still.

Zico noticed your strange movements and raised an eyebrow, “What? Didn’t expect to see me here? Well you see, the town is public territory. It belongs to neither of us. How else are we supposed to use the hospital?”

You didn’t answer his rhetorical question. “Did something happen to you for you to come here?” You asked him, trying to make sure he didn’t pay attention to what you had hidden behind your back.

“Nah. I’m just here to get the bandages removed and my bruises checked out. Taeil wanted to schedule an X-ray and they only had one appointment open today for the next week. That guy is too persistent for his own good.” Zico laughed as he walked near you. You sidestepped out of his way in order to let him by. He stopped walking and stared at you, “Wait, what did you come here for?”

Your hand holding the medicine behind your back started to sweat, “Just for some painkillers,” you flashed him the bag and put it back down by your side before he could get a good look at it. He only stared a moment longer before nodding.

“It’s cold outside today. You want me to give you a ride home afterward?” He asked you. Of course, this one time, he had to be all nice and sweet to you. He couldn’t just go inside?

“No I’m fine.” You smiled at him, a bit forced. He soon gave up just as quickly as he proposed the idea.

“Okay then.” He shrugged, “See you.” He whacked your arm with a goodbye pat. Well, he didn’t whack it, more like patted. But to your inflamed skin around the three parallel cuts going down your arm, it felt like he er punched you in the arm. When you winced, you caught his attention immediately, “Hey what’s wrong?” He, not being able to read the situation, grasped onto your arms, “You okay?” He asked you again.

When you flinched from the pain, he pulled back. Your body deceived you again and he followed your down-casted eyes to the prescribed medicine given to you just a few moments before. He snatched it from your hands before you could say any word of protest.

He read it and his scowl slowly turned into an oval mouth formed due to surprise, “These are not just normal painkillers. It says they speed up the recovery for inflammed skin as well.” He went up and felt your arm again. You tried to tug away from him but he kept you there. He rubbed your arm repeatedly with his thumb. That’s when he felt it. Beneath your two layers of clothing, there were bumps of something. He looked up and locked eyes with you, “What happened to you? Are you wearing bandages?”

You pushed him away with both hands on his chest, “Nothing happened.”

Zico shook his head in disapproval, “That means ‘something happened but I don’t want to tell you.’ “ He took a step towards you, a serious look in his eyes, “What happened to you?”

You gave him an exasperated look, “Let it go Zico. Nothing’s wrong.” You urged him as you reached for your painkillers in his grasp. He pulled them away, out of your reach.

“Don’t make me undress you right here.” He threatened as he took a step closer to you. He was dangerously close as he practically bore holes into your head with his eyes, “Hyunjoo. Why did you really come to the hospital?”

You whispered as you backed away, “Just give me my pills Zico.”

“You think I won’t storm into that hospital and ask every single, damn employee what’s wrong with you? You really think I’m not capable of doing something crazy like that?” He yelled in your face.

At this point, the people passing by started to shoot Zico looks. He was being loud as he yelled at you so of course he attracted attention. “Calm down alright? Stop making a scene.”

“You call this making a scene? Would you really like to see one?”

Your patience had run dry at this point. Zico always had to make everything a huge problem when he dealt with things. He was not capable of letting something go. His anger at you combined with the pain you felt caused your bubble of calmness to pop. You snatched the pills from his hands, succeeding this time.

“You want to know why I went to the hospital?” You got up close to him and crossed your arms, “Because my arm burns like crazy from being clawed at yesterday. That’s why.” You poked his chest with your index finger, causing him to move slightly back at each word you said, “Next time you’re thinking about ditching the full moon fight, don’t.” You huffed at him before turning to walk away. He grabbed your shoulder and stopped you.

His eyes were different from earlier. The way he looked at you now didn’t intimidate you nor insult you in any way. His narrow, bird-like eyes reflected a kind of intensity you didn’t think he was possible of showing. He actually seemed like he cared about you. You had only thought he looked this way at the other hunters. You were caught off guard by his expressions so much, you gave him the opportunity to grab your wrist and drag you back into the hospital behind him.

When you finally realized you were back in the hospital waiting room, you tried to break out of his grip. He stopped and pulled your arm up, causing you to stumble forward towards him, “I’m taking you home later.” You opened your mouth to refute the idea only to have him back you up into a chair in the waiting room, “Wait here.” He gave you a pointed look before walking to the counter and telling the nurse what he was there for.

You were flabbergasted at what just happened. You watched his back with seething eyes, just planning what you’d say to him as soon as he sat back down. When he came back with the clipboard and a sheet of paper to fill out, you turned towards him. He sat down next to you and took the pen from the top of the clipboard. You opened your mouth only to have him turn to you suddenly. He had that same look in his eyes again. You only relished in the deepness of his irises and the stillness of your heart for a moment before he reached up and flicked you in the forehead.

You reached up with both hands as you keeled over in your seat. You rubbed your aching forehead while mumbling sounds of pain.

“Just be a good girl and wait for me.” You heard him say beside you. You looked back up, hands still on your forehead, and found him casually writing his name in the boxes provided. 

--------

A/N: 

So I went ahead and posted this chapter after thinking about it (and reading your comments). I remember everyone being excited about Sunggyu appearing but then Zico ends off the chapter. Disappointed? I'm such a tease, I know~

Thank you all for patiently waiting for this chapter. No more trolling on my part for now :)