XV

Springfield

Myungsoo frowned as he looked out the window as the last bell of the day rung. “Myungsoo-oppa?” A girl’s voice called from beside him. He quickly looked to the voice though his hopes fell once he realized who it was. He should have known, there was no way you would call him “Oppa,” let alone call his name at all. Myungsoo struggled to remember the girl’s name. Sure, she sat in front of him but other than that he was never really interested in her. “What’s wrong?” She pouted at him, gaining no reaction.

He didn’t ask her name at all but instead asked her what he had been wondering all day, “Do you know where Song Hyunjoo is?” The girl’s face scrunched up in jealousy. She rolled her eyes and shrugged.

“Is that what’s wrong, Oppa? Did she do something to you again?”

He furrowed his eyebrows, unsure what she meant by “again.” Then he remembered, the first day he met you he threatened you. The last day he saw you, he threatened to punch you. All his days were filled with hateful stares and snarls. All of which were directed towards you. He sighed, “Do you know or not?”

The girl was startled by his anger towards her and quickly shook her head no. Myungsoo bit his lip as he stood from his desk. The girl called out to him again but he ignored it as he was drowned in his own thoughts. His feet carried him to the courtyard, where Woohyun, Hoya, and Dongwoo usually hung out after school. He was spot on as he saw them sitting on a bench by a tree together right in the middle of the courtyard. He walked over. ”Woohyun, anything interesting happen today?”

Woohyun, Hoya, and Dongwoo all looked up. Woohyun gave him a confused look, “Interesting? Like what exactly?” Myungsoo breathed out. Maybe Sunggyu was wrong when he said you would definitely talk to them but that didn’t make sense. Sunggyu seemed so sure of it.

Myungsoo shook his head, “It’s nothing. Nevermind.”

“Hey guys!”

They all looked forward. There was Sungyeol, quickly walking towards them, his bike at his side. “What’s up?” Dongwoo asked upon noticing the look of anxiousness he had on his face.

“Have you guys seen Hyunjoo?”

They all flinched at the name they hadn’t heard in quite a while. They knew your name but they never knew that Sungyeol knew you as well.

Hoya stood up from his seat, “Wait, why do you know her name?”

Sungyeol waved his hand in the air, dismissing the topic. He didn’t want to reveal that he was interested in you to the point where he asked around in order to learn your name. “That doesn’t matter. She didn’t come to school this morning.”

Woohyun cringed, “So what?”

Sungyeol parked his bike and coldly looked at Woohyun, “So she always does. I pass by her car every morning and every afternoon I ride by her as she walks to the parking lot. But today, she didn’t show up.” He turned to Myungsoo now, “Do you think something happened?”

“Why should it matter?” Dongwoo rolled his eyes, “She already made it clear that she doesn’t want to accept us. Let it go.”

Suddenly, a blur ran towards them. They were so indulged in conversation that they all jumped. The blur came to a stop in front of them, it was Sungjong.

“What are you doing?” Woohyun scolded him for showing off like that out of nowhere. Sungjong ignored him as he tried to get out his words out of his mouth urgently.

“I smelled them!” He finally said. They all looked around at each other, not quite understanding. “Hunters!” He leaned in and whispered.

“What? Where? Here?” Dongwoo stood up, his fists clenched as if he was more than ready to take them on.

Sungjong shook his hands in front of him, “No, not here.”

“Then where?” Hoya looked around them, his heart racing. He hadn’t been out running lately for fear of going to your house unconsciously so his body wasn’t up for a fight.

Sungjong tried to catch his breath, “You have to promise you all won’t get angry. And that you won’t tell Sunggyu!” He demanded from them. They exchanged looks before quickly nodding. He started, “Ever since the whole incident with Sunggyu, I was curious about who this girl was.” They already didn’t like where it was going but let him continue, “So I followed the scent that I caught on Sungyeol.” All eyes turned to Sungyeol, once more raising questions about his involvement with you. “And I found her house. I have got to say Hyungs definitely picked a ringer on this one.”

Myungsoo gritted his teeth. Hoya, Dongwoo, Sungyeol, and Woohyun didn’t want to hear about how Sungjong had been secretly following you anymore than how much they wanted to be punched by Sunggyu again. Sungjong then swatted an imaginary fly with his hand, “But whatever, that’s besides the point. I went this morning before school and she wasn’t there. So I went during lunch but she wasn’t there. And just now too!” They all gaped, for the first time fully realizing how fast Sungjong really was. “So I went to the door and knocked but the door was open. I opened it and saw a pair of keys on the floor along with a backpack. Then, I smelled it.”

All of the boys were silent as they waited for his next words. Words they knew they wouldn’t like hearing.

“Hyungs, I smelled a hunter. They hadn’t been there just once either.”

Woohyun quickly stood up, cursing, “I knew I smelt it when I dropped her off. But it was their territory so I didn’t think that there was one right in front of her house.”

“So that’s it then, huh?” Myungsoo laughed, “She must’ve been working with them the whole time.” A wave of silence passed by them. All of them were thinking the same thing. That they had been tricked, played like guitars to the beat of your drums.

Meanwhile, you were stuck in a room full of werewolf hunters who hated your guts.