XIII

Springfield

The school bell rung, signaling the end of another day of classes. You stood up and got bumped into by girls as usual. You brushed it off though and continued to pack your bag. As your arm went to pick up your bag, someone grabbed onto your wrist. You flinched in surprise but quickly got over it. Not much was able to startle you these days. You followed the arm to its owner. You scowled, “Let go.” You demanded from him.

“We need to talk.” Myungsoo grabbed your bag before you could and yanked you with him as he walked out of the classroom. You wrung and writhed all you could but his grip hung strong to you. He didn’t care that people were looking, whispering, and even cursing outright.

“Let me go!” You yelled at him again. He ignored you as he dragged your arm behind him down the stairs. Once at the bottom, he led you to the courtyard. All the students who were just leaving for home instead all stopped and watched as Myungsoo dragged you past them. “What do you want?” You questioned him though a strong yank of your arm throwing you forward was your only answer.

Myungsoo looked at the people who began to crowd around and growled, “Leave.” His tone of voice threatened them. They all scurried off quickly. While some girls were hesitant they soon left as well due to his intense glares. Soon, it was just the two of you in the courtyard now. He returned his attention back to you.  “You know you’re really starting to piss me off.”

You rose your eyebrow at him, “Last time I checked we haven’t even exchanged more than five sentences with each other.” You yanked your bag from his grasp and dusted it off.

“I know you know what I am.” He growled. You froze in place, your eyes shaking as you focused on him. He wasn’t Woohyun. He wasn’t Hoya. This was Myungsoo, someone completely okay with hurting you. “I know you know what I can do to you.” You gulped down at his words. “For all that you’ve done to us, I deserve something back from you.”

“What?” You stuttered, taking a defensive stance.

“Let me punch you.”

You quickly shook your head no, “What wait why?”

He ignored your questions and retracted his fist back and sent it flying at your face. You squinted, readying for impact. When you felt nothing, you slowly opened up your squinted eyes. You were surprised to find that Myungsoo had stopped short. He cursed to himself and lowered his hand to his side, his clenched fist trembling. He turned away from you, only showing his back, “I’m going to trust you.”

Your heart jumped. Myungsoo was the last person you expected to hear those words from.

He turned to face you and if looks could kill you’d be the living dead, “I’m going to trust you so don’t screw this up.”

Without thinking, you nodded yes to him. Your body did it on reflex. He was just too…too hard to say no to. As you processed what you had just done, he gave you an assuring nod and began to walk away. He was too far to hear you by the time you got your voice to come out, “Wait, screw what up?”

 

 

 

You sighed as you walked up the steps of your front porch. Your head hung down as you switched to your house key on your key ring. You froze when you saw a pair of feet at the top step. You looked up, meeting eyes with the same cashier from last night. You blinked a few times, confused.

Before you could say anything, he spoke up, "I'm Sunggyu." You furrowed your brows at the sudden introduction. "A werewolf."

 

 

 

"Please sit down." You gestured to the breakfast table as Sunggyu, the cashier from last night, followed behind you into the house. He did as you had asked, though he kept his eyes off of you. In fact, you could tell he didn't want to look at you. You didn't know if you were angry or relieved. You were angry that he wouldn't look at you for whatever reason but you were relieved that he wasn't looking at you with that face of his. You didn't want to be drawn in by those dark brown eyes like you had been with Myungsoo just earlier. You didn't like being drunk on whatever hormones they must have been emitting so you were more than happy about him avoiding you.

You poured a glass of water for yourself and for him and set them both down on the table as you took a seat. You examined him for a while and you could tell he was deciding if he should talk or not. "Is this about Woohyun?" You asked him. He looked up at you, eyes wide. You felt your heart stop at the way he looked at you and regretted asking him that. You looked away, "I won't tell anyone about you guys."

He narrowed his eyes at you. "I'm not asking you to keep it a secret. Shout it to the whole world if you want, that'll just make getting rid of you easier." You didn't like the way that sounded. You gulped, your fingers wrapping tightly around your cup. “I’m asking for you to accept it.”

“Accept it?” You respoke his words slowly, unsure if you heard him right.

Sunggyu stood up from his seat at the table, “I can show you if it’s that difficult for you to believe that we are what we say we are.” You were about to shake your head no, but then you thought about what it would look like. For him to…become a werewolf. To take form or whatever his term was for it. Your curiosity once again triumphed over your common sense. You nodded yes, something he was surprised about.

After everything Myungsoo told him about you, he expected it to be a little harder than this for you to agree with him. He wondered for a moment if you didn’t have a twin but sure enough, there was Woohyun’s smell on you. It would be another two months or so before you ever got his stench off of you, no matter how hard you may have scrubbed, meaning that Sunggyu had the right person.

He walked out of the kitchen, your eyes watching his every move. He stepped behind the wall, out of your sight which caused you to stand from your chair. "Wait there." You heard him say from where he was standing. Your legs obeyed as you sat back down at the breakfast table. That's when you heard it, the sound of bones popping followed by an audible thud. The sounds only further peaked your interest as you resisted the urge to sneak a glance around the corner.

What you saw next left you breathless. There, in the kitchen archway was a wolf. Now that you had seen both Sunggyu and Hoya, you could definitely see that they were not by any means just dogs.

Sunggyu, whom you presumed was the wolf in front of you, took steps forward, his paws clacking on the floor due to his nails. As he turned the corner, he kicked off of his hinds legs a pair of gray jeans, the same ones that Sunggyu was just wearing. Most definitely, this was Sunggyu. But how? Werewolves were a children's fairytale at best. None of this made any sense to you. You stared at the wolf whose eyes looked back at you with the same suspicion you had gotten earlier. "Sunggyu?" You called to the wolf in front of you whose stature seemed to grow in charisma by the second. The wolf sat down in front of you in response. You covered your mouth in shock. "You're a werewolf?" You mumbled beneath your breath.

The wolf got up again and walked back where it came from. As you stared into space trying to make some kind of sense of what you just saw, Sunggyu came back from the hallway, zipping up his hoodie and readjusting his pants. He saw the look of confusion on your face and laughed, "You didn't try to kill me or scream bloody murder, that's a first."

You looked up at him, shock on your face, "Really?" You asked in disbelief. Though he was right, you felt as though the whole idea was going over quite well considering a week ago you had completely ruled the "werewolf" theory out.

He came back to the table and sat down, his face both serious and calm. "Understand I'm not doing this to scare you, I'm doing this so that if something comes up later...," he paused and frowned before continuing, “it’s just a precaution is all." Sunggyu thought back to how Myungsoo strongly urged him to see you in order to calm the whole situation. He didn't like that Woohyun had marked you but there wasn't much he could do about the past. The least he could hope for is that in the future, his friends wouldn't keep petty secrets from him, especially when it came to you. You were a human and he hated that but with the way you were calmly listening to him right now, your eyes not calling him a monster or plotting about ways to get your hands on the kitchen knives, made him think it was best to just accept what happened and move on. Maybe you really were different. Thus, he would indulge his friends this one time. He would let them have your company.

Sunggyu shook his head no, stopping his thoughts. "No, all humans are the same." He mumbled to himself. You cocked your head since you weren't able to hear it. Sunggyu readjusted his hood and jacket as he stood from the table, "Talk to Woohyun and Hoya tomorrow. That's all I'm going to ask of you. Talk to them and don't deny what we are." He paused and looked at his open palm. He grimaced while he clenched his fingers into a fist, "What makes us who we are."

He left without another word, leaving you alone with your thoughts.

 

 

 

Sunggyu closed the front door behind him and locked it as he got back home. Before he looked up from the lock he sighed, "You didn't have to wait for me." He said as he turned and looked at the person in front of him.

Myungsoo shook his head no, "How did it go?"

Sunggyu gave him a confused face and walked past him to go up the stairs. Myungsoo got irritated and followed him, "Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about Sunggyu."

Sunggyu reached the top step and began to walk to the door just adjacent from him, "Well she's cute. No wonder Woohyun and Hoya went soft on her. Though I didn't think Dongwoo was the type for just appearance."

"You know that's not what I asked." Myungsoo even followed Sunggyu into his room.

Sunggyu took off his jacket and threw it onto his bed, "She wasn't just pretty though. She was thoughtful. The most thoughtful human I've ever met. She offered a werewolf a seat at her table." Myungsoo frowned though before he could interrupt, Sunggyu continued. “Confusing her with our situation isn't right." He turned to Myungsoo and breathed out, a sympathetic smile on his face, "She's going to talk to Woohyun and Hoya tomorrow."

"How do you know?" Myungsoo asked. He had been around you for almost two weeks now and you were not the most accepting person in the world. How could Sunggyu, whose personality was just as stubborn as yours, possibly convince you of anything? The look on Sunggyu’s face right now though was serious. He wasn't joking. But how did Sunggyu manage to get you to do what he hadn't managed to in the matter of just one hour. Myungsoo scowled, disliking having such jealous thoughts. Sunggyu laughed, "She was better than you made her out to be L."

 

 

 

You woke up early the next morning, more like you couldn't even fall asleep. You kept thinking about what you saw last night...and how you were for some reason okay with it. You decided to talk to Hoya and Woohyun, feeling that that would finally make up your mind on whether to accept this whole "werewolf" thing or not.

After you had finished getting dressed in your room, the doorbell rang. You looked out of the archway of your bedroom down the stairs, your lips pursed in thought to who it could possibly be. Your mom had just left a moment ago, "Maybe she forgot the house keys." You walked down to the door while fixing your hair. When you reached the door, you opened it without even checking first.

"Hyunjoo, long time no see." He smiled, amused at your confused expression. You cursed inside of your head at his sudden appearance.

"Zico." You frowned. Of all times he comes now. You gulped as the look on his face started to twitch. You panicked and tried to close the door before he could realize what that abnormal nose of his was picking up. The door was almost closed when he stuck out his hand and held it open with his inhuman like strength. Your hands trembled as you tried to close the door but he was too strong. He ripped the door open and stepped inside. You stumbled backwards over your own feet.

His playful expression was nowhere to be found as he pushed you against the wall, both hands blocking you from getting away. You were face to face with him and honestly, Sunggyu was nowhere near as scary as Zico was right now. There was something about his aura that frightened you to the bone. Nevertheless, you stared at him with wide eyes as he gritted his teeth, filling the silence. He lifted his right palm from the wall and slammed it down right next to your face.

"I warned you."

Was all you heard escape his mouth as he punched you in the gut, making you slowly become unconscious. His arms on your waist and his eagle eyes on yours were all that you felt and saw before everything went black.

------------------

A/N: Can I just say I love you guys? (my lovely commenters and subscribers) 

Don't hate Zico just yet okay? 

See you next chapter~