X

Springfield

You walked with Woohyun to your car after he had picked you up at your classroom. Here it came. The big talk he was going to have with you.

“It’s better if I drive.” Woohyun said as the both of you got to your car. You furrowed your eyebrows at him. He held out his palm and raised his eyebrows at you teasingly, “C’mon, pretty please.”

You laughed at his charades and reluctantly gave him the keys. He pressed the unlock button on the key and got into the driver’s seat. You got into the passengers. All was normal as he buckled up his seatbelt and waited for you to do so as well. That’s when he said it, “Don’t be alarmed, but I kill people.”

Your eyes widened in shock. Your hand reflexively went to the door but when you tried to get out the door refused to open. You looked back at him, who had just pressed the “all doors lock” button, the reason he wanted to be the one driving. You looked at him with terror in your eyes. After a moment of silence, he laughed. “Just joking just joking.”

You blinked a couple of times before getting a frown on your face. You punched his shoulder hard. He was still smiling but he rubbed his arm and pretended it hurt. “Jerk,” you mumbled as you shrunk into the passenger seat. He started the car and backed out of the parking space. As his eyes were on the rear view mirror, he started again.

“Hoya told me what happened. He said you took care of him.”

You sat back up in your seat, “When he was getting shot at?”

Woohyun nodded to your statement but then bit his lip and shook his head no, “Well that but also when you gave him a bath.” He tsked, “I don’t know whether to be amused or envious.”

You looked at him confused, “When I gave him a bath? What?” You tried to remember ever doing something like that but nothing came to mind. “Stop joking around.” But you didn’t see him laughing.

“I know it’s hard to believe, but it’s true. Try to remember what happened last night.”

You thought back, you had come home. Then there was a knock on the door and. That’s when your mind went blank. “The dog?” You questioned in disbelief.

Woohyun laughed, “Dog? That’s a good one.” He covered his mouth as the car reached a stop sign to stop himself from laughing out loud. “I seriously need to tell Hoya when I get home.” He said between laughs. When he finally calmed himself he got back to the subject. “No, not a dog. A wolf.”

You had thought he was too big for a normal dog but the thought never occurred to you. Why would it? “So, Hoya is a,” you paused, not believing what you were about to say, “Werewolf?”

Woohyun nodded.

“And then that boy who shot him, Zico, he’s someone who hates werewolves?”

Woohyun nodded, figuring that your explanation was the easier one.

“And what does that make you?”

Woohyun pulled over to the side of the road and parked the car. He turned to you, “I’m a werewolf too.”

You narrowed your eyes at him, your mind yelling out in rejection of the idea. “I don’t believe you.”

Woohyun frowned. He shut his eyes and faced forward again. He started the car without another word and drove onto the road again. You stared forward as your mind continued to reject every notion of what he just told you. Werewolf? It must’ve been a joke. There was no way it was true. No matter how right it sounded werewolves don’t exist. It was impossible.

The ride back to your house was silent. When he finally reached your house and parked in front, he turned the car off and handed the keys back to you. You got out of the car and as did he. He walked around the car, up to you. You looked away, avoiding looking at his face. You heard him sigh in front of you. You gulped as you eyed him from your peripheral. He seemed…irritated. Why wouldn’t he be? You would feel the same way if someone you knew didn’t trust you. When he focused his eyes on you, you quickly looked back down.

“Hyunjoo, I’ll give you time to think about it.” He turned and walked down the sidewalk. As he kept walking away, you wanted to stop him. You wanted to ignore your mind that screamed at you to pretend it never happened. But, but you couldn’t. Your gut told you to run after him right this minute and say you believed him. The pain on his face when you didn’t was one reason but the other was because you wanted him to trust you. To have someone trust you.

You laughed at yourself for thinking that way. You pressed your palm onto the left side of your face and smirked, “Am I that desperate for trust from another person that I’ll fall for anything? I mean come on, werewolves?” As you looked back up, he had disappeared from sight. You moved your hand away from your face and looked around frantically. He was gone like the wind.

“No,” you shook your head, your hair waving slightly back and forth from the afternoon breeze, “I’m not desperate for anyone’s trust.” You took a deep breath, clearing your thoughts, “I want his trust.” You thought back to Hoya, to Dongwoo, and even snarky Myungsoo. “I want their trust.” Such things you never got from your family.

You wanted to show them that you were someone worthy of putting their trust in once more.

“Not meaning to interrupt your little monologue or anything but I have a few questions.”

You jumped at the voice and quickly looked to your left.

The owner of the voice walked down the steps of your porch before coming to a stop in front of you. You swore that with each step he took your heart rate got faster. You held your backpack up in front of you, just in case he tried anything, as you glared at him furiously. “What do you want?”

“Whoa, you’re feistier than I thought you’d be.” He smirked as he pulled back his jacket, showing his belt which had attached to it an empty holster where his gun should be, “Don’t worry, I’m not here to fight.” You gulped and lowered down your backpack.

“I want to know why you’re hanging out with werewolves is all, what was it again? Hyunjoo?” His raven like eyes caught you in their sights and you could tell he wasn’t going to let you just blow him off.

You asked your next question even though you already knew the answer, “It’s not fair that you know my name when you haven’t even told me yours yet.”

He his lips as he fixed his leather jacket, “Zico. That's my name."