XLVIII

Springfield

 

Apparently, there was more than one fight going on yesterday. You had stopped the fight between Sunggyu, Zico, B-Bomb, Dongwoo, Hoya, Taeil, and Jaehyo, but a little west of where you were another fight was going on. It was Myungsoo and Woohyun against P.O. and U-Kwon. Each went their separate ways after Myungsoo heard Dongwoo’s howl in the distance, saying to “Stop.” Sungyeol had been the one to take you home yesterday, where you were right now.

He didn’t say anything the entire way. He only said one thing, “Sleep well,” before he disappeared down the street on his bike. You could tell by the look on his face however that what you did was definitely not okay. Sunggyu didn’t say a word to you. Dongwoo and Sungjong remained in their wolf forms, making you unable to read their emotions. Hoya gave you the eyes he always did. The eyes that show he trusts and understands you completely. But even you didn’t understand why you did what you did.

You and Sungyeol had shown up as soon as Sunggyu pinned Jaehyo to the tree. Before you could say anything, Sunggyu stabbed Jaehyo in the stomach and sent him flopping onto the ground like a rag doll. You couldn’t believe your eyes. The same Sunggyu who comforted you at the Mayor’s house and accepted you into his pack had blood stains on his hands. His eyes looked wild and insane, much unlike the calm ones you were used to seeing. What exactly had the hunters done to make him, Sungjong, Dongwoo, and Hoya to act back with violence? Sure, things were tense between them but the werewolves weren’t the type to get riled up easily, no matter what the werewolves said. As questions continued to run through your head, the doorbell rang. You flinched out of your daze and went to answer it.

Your jaw dropped when you saw who was at the door but then, a smile formed on your face. Was it relief? Or Happiness? Or excitement? Right now all three blended together into one. "Dongwoo. Hoya."

An audible growl came from Dongwoo as he scratched the back of his head uncomfortably. He shook his head fiercely before taking a step inside the house. As he passed by he rubbed the top of your head affectionately and mumbled something that sounded like "Idiot."

Hoya stepped in as well as he tried and failed to hold back a laugh at Dongwoo's embarrassment at seeing you smile. "How are you?" was the first thing Hoya asked as you closed the door behind them.

"I could be better." You looked up at him with soft eyes and he managed a tight smile. You tilted you head at his hesitation to say what you knew he was thinking. "So are you here to tell me off about last night?" You asked, garnering a surprised expression from Hoya.

"Tell you off? That's not really the word I would use." Dongwoo frowned as he appeared behind you after raiding the kitchen for a bag of chips.

"More like give you a warning." Hoya corrected, "And if you still have the same personality you always have then what we say may be hard to swallow."

You nodded, unfazed by the statement. The two of them lead you to the living room and sat you down between them on the three-seater couch.

Dongwoo, from your right, started first, "To make this short, do you just want to get to the point?"

Hoya's eyes widened in shock. You nodded firmly, "Yes."

Hoya tried to open his mouth to stop Dongwoo but failed. Dongwoo coolly leaned back on the couch, "You need to stop sticking you nose into places it doesn't belong."

You wanted to protest and defend yourself but Dongwoo continued anyway, "Last night's situation was none of you business. Showing up there only complicated things." Dongwoo saw the look on your face and his cool demeanor faltered, "Don't look at me like that. I’m not saying you’re not wanted around us. Listen, if you had gotten hurt then I-" Dongwoo stopped himself before he could finish his sentence. He gripped onto his shirt and looked down at his hands.

Before you could even stop your heart from reacting to his words, Hoya interrupted. "I know you were trying to help. Even Sunggyu understands that." Images of a regretful Sunggyu from last night as he stared at you made you look down, your eyebrows scrunched together. "But from now on, rather than try to get involved, you should be looking out for your own safety. Can you do that for me?" He asked as he peeked underneath you hair to get a look at your face. You nodded solemnly and looked back up with willful eyes. It was the first time he had seen you concede to anything and despite the situation, he couldn't help but think it was adorable.

"Alright." You answered.

"Promise us." Your head snapped back towards Dongwoo. The expression on his face was so forceful and stern your heart leapt again. "Promise us." He said again.

You bit your lip and nodded.

"I promise."

Hoya and Dongwoo had been over for around an hour. You were lucky that there was no school today. Lucky in that it meant a whole peaceful hour just sitting with the two of them, talking about simple things while watching early morning sit-coms on the television. You had fun and were sad when they said they had to go. You wanted to ask them to stay but you knew better.

You could tell they were forcing themselves. Forcing themselves to stay when they had other things to do. Dongwoo ignored his phone multiple times as it rang earlier. Hoya turned his off completely. Sunggyu was most definitely calling them for something but instead they stayed with you. You figured it was out of guilt for scolding you for earlier. Seeing their smiles for even that small amount of time was enough to make your palms sweat and your face get red each time they teased you. You couldn’t believe how attached you felt to them and how lonely you felt when they had to leave.

“See you later.” Dongwoo gave you one of his smiles and you cursed at yourself for not being able to fully appreciate the moment due to momentary shock. He threw up a peace sign before walking out the front door. Hoya was about to follow him when he stopped dead in his tracks. He bit his lip, uncertain of what he was going to say.

He shook his head and his facial features scrunched up as he pivoted and turned to you. You had to stumble back due to the closeness of him to you after he turned. “Yeah?” You asked, curious as to why he suddenly looked serious all of a sudden.

“You shouldn’t judge Sunggyu for fighting the way he did.” He told you. You blinked a few times, wondering why he was saying this. “Sunggyu only fought because Sungjong went after Kyung.”

You furrowed your eyebrows, “Sungjong did first? Why?”

Hoya looked down at you with weary eyes filled with guilt, “Because Kyung threatened to hurt you.” You parted your lips, your voice not coming out. The only thing that floated in your head was, ‘So that was it. The reason they fought.’ “Sungjong got angry and I couldn’t stop him before he went after Kyung. Sunggyu. Sunggyu he.” Hoya wondered if he should finish his sentence. Soon, he came to terms with his observations, no matter how much they complicated things. “Sunggyu broke free from my grip after he heard Kyung’s comment. His eyes went wild with anger and I could tell there was no way I’d be able to stop him. Despite that, he went easy on Zico, otherwise the hunter would’ve been dead. So, don’t look at him again the way you did last night okay? Don’t look at him like he’s a monster.”

 

 

 

Woohyun grunted in frustration as he slammed the refrigerator door shut.

“There’s ramen in the pantry.” A voice from behind him made Woohyun turn in surprise. He was too deep in thought to even realize that Myungsoo had walked up behind him.

Woohyun shook his head, “I’m not hungry.” He locked eyes with Myungsoo, who seemed unfazed by the obviousness of what Woohyun was angry about.

Myungsoo pursed his lips and shrugged, “Well even though Sunggyu called the fight for tonight’s full moon off, you could still go hunt.”

Woohyun breathed out and narrowed his eyes at Myungsoo, “You’re ignoring what’s bothering me.” Rather than a question, it was more of a statement.

Myungsoo walked over to the refrigerator and opened it. He tsked at the sight of the emptiness that greeted him, “Why talk about the obvious?”

Woohyun leaned onto the counter behind him and crossed his arms on his chest, “Then you feel the same way? That Hyunjoo was reckless last night?” Woohyun thought about what Hoya said you did last night and he had to stop himself from going to your house to tell you off. This had happened frequently today, which was one of the reasons he even opened the fridge for food in the first place; even though he wasn’t hungry.

Myungsoo closed the fridge and stood up straight. He raised an eyebrow and looked at Woohyun as though he was a moron. “When is she not reckless? It doesn’t surprise me she stepped into the fight the way she did. After all, she joined us, werewolves, didn’t she? She’s not exactly a normal girl.”

Woohyun’s anger subsided. He looked down at his feet and let his hands drop down from his chest. “Yeah,” He looked at the palm of his hand and remembered the first day he met you. Never did he think he’d be standing where he was now, worried over some human girl. The same human girl he touched so easily without inhibitions upon first meeting her. Never did he think that the same human he roughed around then he would handle so gently now. You were stubborn, reckless, and you jumped to conclusions way to quickly. However, you were also someone he couldn’t think of being without now. “Yeah,” Woohyun said again as he clenched his hand, “She’s not a normal girl.”

Myungsoo breathed out and diverted his eyes. He didn’t want to see Woohyun when he had that airy look in his eyes. “She’s probably doing something stupid right now.” He said out loud with a scowl on his face.

 

 

 

You snuggled into your jacket as the cold air hit you. You had to shift your upper body a little so that you could pull your sleeves down to cover your exposed fingers. It wasn’t that cold outside, but you had always been one to get cold easily. You felt like your goosebumps had goosebumps and were looking forward to getting back home to eat the curry you had just bought ingredients for.

As you walked across the street from the small market store, you spotted someone in a red jacket with a furry hoody just in front of you in the town square. It wasn’t just your everyday townsperson that passed by you even now as they all went their own ways, it was someone you knew. You quickened your pace to reach him as they passed by the fountain in the center of the square. As you got closer, you could tell he had heard your steps heading towards him. The person turned, his brown hair fluttering a bit from the light wind. His eyes widened, as if you were the last thing he expected to see today.

As you finally came to a stop in front of him, his eyes scanned you up and down as his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. You straightened your scarf that was disheveled due to your quick movements a moment before and laughed a bit at yourself to fill the awkwardness that hung around the two of you now. When he did nothing but stare at you indignantly, you decided to speak up, “Hey Jaehyo.” 

--------

A/N:

I had an eventful day and I'm happy I was able to squeeze this little update in there. 

Your comments keep me writing guys! So thank you for sharing your thoughts on the going ons of the story. 

I'll see you guys next update~