XLV

Springfield

 

“No way.” Sungyeol rejected even though he already had both of his hands hovering over Zico’s body. “I’m not doing it.” He said again as he squinted at the sight of Zico’s arm.

“All you have to do,” Taeil let his hands hover over Zico’s arms to show Sungyeol what to do, “is grab his wrist here and pull up like this.” Sungyeol shook his head no repeatedly.

“I can’t. I can’t.” He murmured. “No way am I snapping his bone back into place. That’s insane.”

“I’m not strong enough to fix B-Bomb’s spine and it’s better if you get a feel of how to do it before you even get your hands near him. If I was strong enough I wouldn’t need you here so just hurry up.” Taeil put one of Sungyeol’s hands on Zico’s wrist forcibly and the other on the region above the break. Sungyeol shook in nervousness. “Just do it in one swift motion alright? We knocked Zico out but let’s avoid giving him a reason to wake up.”

Sungyeol’s eyes widened at Taeil’s sentence. He stared at him for an answer to which he got a sigh back.

“Don’t ask how we knocked him out, we just did. Now let’s get this over with.”  Taeil breathed impatiently as he gave Sungyeol a nod to go ahead. Sungyeol shook his head, still not agreeing with what he was doing.

“Here goes nothing.” He mumbled before he snapped Zico’s arm back into place the way Taeil had showed him quickly. It was quicker than Taeil thought it would be and he was glad that he got you to bring a werewolf along. It meant less pain for Zico and B-Bomb to go through and of that he was grateful.

A loud roar of a yell came out of Zico’s mouth. It startled Sungyeol who immediately let go of Zico’s arm. He didn’t expect such a thing to happen. “Now it’s B-Bomb.” Taeil patted Sungyeol on the back, breaking him out of his trance.

“Right. No problem. This’ll be easy.” Sungyeol chanted as he gulped down. He approached the hunter with the dislocated spine and took a deep breath.

 

 

 

A loud roar caused you to jump in your seat at the kitchen counter. U-Kwon, Kyung, P.O., and Jaehyo were all lounging around you. None of them looked in the least worried about what was going on. You figured they thought they could handle Sungyeol on their own if he went rogue all of a sudden.  That and they had faith in Taeil’s medicinal abilities, of that you were sure.

“Are you sure we shouldn’t be in there?” You asked them in worry as you bit down on your bottom lip.

“Taeil knows what he’s doing.” Kyung said indifferently without even looking in your direction. You were proven right then, they did trust Taeil’s skills.

“It’s probably getting ugly in there anyway. You looked like you would throw up before so I don’t think you want to go back in there.” P.O. mentioned as he looked at you knowingly. You felt a bit embarrassed that he could tell what you were thinking earlier but were grateful he thought about you.

“So what happened anyway?” You leaned forward in interest. You wanted to know why on earth B-Bomb and Zico looked the way they did. Who wouldn’t?

“That’s the thing.” P.O. began to bite down on his nail nervously.

“We don’t know.” U-Kwon said with a frown.

“Zico went out as usual. He said something about patrolling the woods.” Jaehyo was interrupted as Kyung scoffed at his last sentence. That rose your interest but before you could ask why he laughed, Jaehyo continued, “B-Bomb went after him, saying that he smelled something odd in the forest. Zico was the one who dragged B-Bomb back here saying they were attacked. Before he passed out that is.” 

“Attacked?” You questioned the word as if you had never heard it before. “By what?”

“A werewolf.” Kyung finished as his eyes glowered down at you.

For some reason, you expected that answer. After all, Zico had come to your house looking for a werewolf, frantically at that. But you were definitely sure it wasn’t one of the ones you knew. But then again, the werewolves were sure that there was no one like them living in Springfield. The hunters, from the looks they gave you right now, apparently thought the same thing.

“It wasn’t them.” You defended against their glares.

“We didn’t say anything.” Kyung mocked you, as if he caught you in your lie.

“I can see it on your faces. You all were thinking it and I can tell you it wasn’t them.” You assured. Sure, you had only asked Sungyeol but you knew. The werewolves would never do something to jeopardize themselves. Especially just to go after the hunters for no reason. The full moon was right around the corner after all, what would be the point? To weaken them? Sunggyu would never allow it. Sunggyu had pride, an immense amount of it at that.

Another yell echoed throughout the house. This time, you could tell it was B-Bomb’s. You turned in your seat before getting up, following the other hunters to the living room. When you all arrived at the doorway, Taeil looked up with a confident smile.

“No problem at all.” He laughed a bit at Sungyeol’s expense. Who, at this moment, was chanting the same thing to himself, over and over.

“Yeah. No problem. Just snapping human spines into place. No problem at all. I could do this everyday.”

You managed a small smile in amusement. You turned your eyes down to B-Bomb and Zico, who already looked much better than before. You could practically see the difference as you looked down upon their more relaxed faces. 

 

 

 

“Hyunjoo.” Someone gently shook you awake. You blinked a few times so that their face would become visible. Soon, the blurry face became recognizable.

“P.O.?” You questioned as you rubbed your eyes. You sat up, finding yourself on a stool in the kitchen. That’s when you remembered what had happened. You wanted to stay until B-Bomb woke up which caused Sungyeol to refuse to leave as well. You didn’t want to fall asleep but you must have when you came to get some water. “What’s wrong?” You asked him. His eyebrows were scrunched up in worry.

“Come to the living room.” He told you as he helped you stand up. You weren’t able to ask any more questions as he led you into the main living area. There, on the couch, was B-Bomb, looking much better than he had before. It looks like he had gotten a shower since before. Next to him sat a grumpier looking Zico, who also looked better than before, minus the angry face. His eagle like eyes narrowed at you as you came to a stop in front of the couch.

You looked to your right to find Sungyeol standing there with a tense expression on his face. In fact, everyone looked tense. It was as if someone had just died. But that was impossible because everyone was present. No one said anything to you so instead you decided to speak first.

“If you have the strength to glare at me like that, it must mean you’re feeling better.” You joked towards Zico. You didn’t get an amused expression, not even a smirk. He just stared at you blankly. You glanced over at Sungyeol, trying to send eye signals to figure out what was wrong.

“Since you’re wondering what the problem is.”

Your head snapped towards Zico as he finally began to speak.

“I’ll tell you.” He held up his healthy arm and pointed at Sungyeol, “This here werewolf went against our promise.” Before you could protest, saying how Taeil asked you to come, how Sungyeol just helped the hunters of his own free will, Zico interrupted, “You cannot deny that he broke it. For whatever reason.”

Sungyeol scowled as he stepped closer to you. He could tell that he’d have to fight it out of here but if it came to that he planned on grabbing you and bolting out of here. All he had to do was make it to his bike and the both of you would be in the clear.

“But I’m willing to make an exception.” Zico said, surprising even the rest of the hunters in the room around him. “Show me your beast form and I’ll let this go. Simple as that.”

Sungyeol eyed Zico, not believing him. By beast form he must have meant Sungyeol’s wolf form. Sungyeol got closer to you, knowing not to believe a thing that Zico spouted. He reached for your arm and gripped it tight in his hold. You understood his action, but you rather not be shot on sight by the hunters, who at this moment all had a hold on the holsters on their belts.

Zico breathed out; frustrated that Sungyeol was taking so long. He looked over at U-Kwon, who was next to him, leaning on the couch, and pulled U-kwon’s gun from his belt. U-Kwon was surprised and looked at Zico wide eyed. Zico lifted the gun up in his good hand.

The last thing you expected was to have another gun be pointed at you though it shouldn’t have surprised you. Sungyeol went tense and stood in front of you protectively.

“Do it or I’ll shoot her.” Zico directed to Sungyeol. Sungyeol narrowed his eyes at Zico, growling lowly all the while.

“Zico, he helped,”

“Do it.” Zico ignored Taeil’s plea for Sungyeol and you and instead gripped tighter onto the gun’s handle. Sungyeol still made no move.  You gripped onto his arm, cursing at yourself for ever worrying about Zico before. Zico sighed, “Fine. She dies.” He took off the safety and pulled back on the trigger.

What surprised you the most was what happened next. You heard bones pop and crack, skin rip. Then, a blur of black flew from your side towards Zico. It pinned him on either side with so much force the couch almost flipped backward.

You blinked in amazement as you no longer felt Sungyeol by your side. Which meant that, that black shadow in front of Zico right now, that was Sungyeol’s wolf form. Sungyeol’s clothes were ripped beside you, unusable, but he didn’t care.

Sungyeol was too busy letting the drool from his sharp canines drip onto Zico. Sungyeol’s paws dug into the wooden frame of the couch, creating a noise that hurt your eardrums. Sungyeol, the now black wolf, growled as he stared Zico straight into the eyes. If he wanted to, he could’ve ripped off Zico’s head right then and there and that was not something he’d be able to fix by popping some bones back into place.

Instead of being struck in shock as the other hunters were, Zico seemed unfazed. He met Sungyeol’s gaze with just as much ferocity. “See,” he said seriously, “that wasn’t so hard was it?”