CVII

Springfield

 

"Idiot." He mumbled over and over again, his blood rushing through his body as he sprinted up the stairs.

"Idiot." He said again as he rounded the corner, hearing a small noise in the distance.

"Idiot." He said through heavy breath as he saw two figures in a room not far from where he was.

"Dammit."

Why did you have to interfere? He might have been knocked down but if anything it was because he was startled. Did you think sticking out your tongue was cute? As soon as he saw that he wanted to yell at you a multitude of curse words.

Now what was he doing? He was sprinting like a mad dog in order to reach you before something happened to you. This . To Myungsoo, this whole situation . He had made sure the mayor hadn't known he called you. He thought your safety was practically guaranteed what with the hunters finally playing nice.

This meant there were thirteen other people out there who could protect you. Thirteen. Yet not one of them was able to stop this from happening. To stop the mayor from throwing you in here. To stop you from getting stuck down here like him.

Myungsoo was not angry, he was irritated. That irritation however was not towards the hunters nor his pack. It was pointed towards himself. He was lacking. He knew he was. So then, his measures in keeping you safe were simply not enough. He felt the blood flowing through his veins start to cool, goose bumps forming across his skin.

He never got goose bumps due to the temperature of his surroundings. He was a werewolf after all. His body was as warm as an electric heater. He only got them when he started thinking like this. Like he did in the past. Thinking he was inadequate. Thinking he needed to be better. To lay lower. To not utter a single word he had not precisely determined would be appropriate or not. Black. The dark color black registered in his mind. The image was not due to the slight darkness of the Containment Zone. The color black.

It wasn't his favorite color.

It was a color that made him feel safe.

Memories started to pile up, hazing his mind and clouding his thoughts despite his feet still sprinting forward. Then, a small beat invaded his eardrums. A fast beat that remained constant. The heartbeat of someone panicking coming from inside of the doorway he stood a few feet away from him. His eyes regained clarity in an instant, his legs screeched to a stop, his ice cold veins melted as a rush of heat tunneled through him. Among all of the possible things he could have said, all of the curses and profanities, only one word came out.

The word escaped his mouth without his brain even registering it.

"Hyunjoo!"

 

 

 

You couldn’t believe your ears. Myungsoo had just called your name. Out loud. For the first time. Ever. You would pinch yourself to see if you were dreaming but now wasn’t the time for unnecessary movement.

“Myungsoo.”

Your voice whimpered in response to the sight of him standing in the doorway, his jaw hanging open like a deer in headlights. What was he going to do now? What were you going to do now? You sure did hope he had a plan because you sure as hell didn’t.

“Don’t move.”

You were surprised. His voice came out as a hushed whispered. Soothing. Myungsoo’s voice was soothing? Since when? When was it never cold and angry? He took slow steps forward towards you and you gulped down. You got anxious. Your legs trembled as you felt your body inch not even a hair forward as you waited for him to come closer and tell you what he was going to do.

“Hyunjoo. I said don’t move.”

He stopped walking and called your name again, causing you to freeze immediately. When he saw you obliged to his words, he starting nearing the large hole which had swallowed up the man in black moments ago.

“What can I do?” You whispered as though the very sound of your voice would vibrate around the room and cause your support to go tumbling down into the abyss below you. You felt helpless. You hated feeling helpless. You wanted to know what you could do. What you’re options were.

“I already told you what to do, didn’t I?”

There it was again, his angry tone. As pleased as you were that he was back to normal, you also felt a sense of regret that your actions made his previous tone disappear. Looking past that, it seemed as though Myungsoo was only giving you one option about what to do. That was to shut up and listen to him, the former of which you had read from the look in his eyes he was giving you now.

He positioned himself at the edge of the drop and looked down, tapping with his feet a few times to see if the ground was stable. It didn’t move an inch. However, that didn’t mean the one you were standing on was the same.

“Jump.”

“Down?”

You incredulously spoke back, causing him to glare at you. He gave you a look that asked if you really just said that. You didn’t utter another word as you waited for his next words. Where exactly did he want you to jump? Across the chasm? He must be kidding. What made him so sure you could make that jump when you were positive you couldn’t?

Myungsoo stretched one of his arms out, his left foot shifted forward as he leaned on it, “I’ll catch you. So hurry up and get over here.” He waved his hand once as though what he was suggesting were the obvious solution.

“You’re crazy.” You stated, the words coming out on reflex.

“You’re crazier.” He answered back, not missing a beat.

Oddly enough, his words made you laugh. The small sound drew his attention and for a moment you thought you saw something you had never seen before. A hint of it, sure, but you still caught it. A smile. Myungsoo almost smiled. You must be dreaming right now, from when you fall asleep across from him up this had to be a dream. What else would explain what was happening right now? You, being on the verge of death, and Myungsoo, calling your name and smiling.

So why wouldn’t you be able to jump across this chasm? Why couldn’t the impossible happen now that so many things you had previously deemed impossible occurred? So, with that, you did just as he said. You jumped. A part of you was sure this wasn’t a dream. Another part of you was sure it was. And another part of you was only sure of one thing. Myungsoo would catch you.

So, you had jumped. The funny thing was, he did catch you. As your fingers of your outstretched hand reached outwards, barely skimming the skin of his own, his trailed up your hand and grabbed firmly onto your wrist. He yanked you to him and you crashed onto him like crashing onto asphalt. He spun on his heel, holding you close to him as he positioned his back to the gaping hole.

So, this wasn’t a dream. You felt the pounding of your head and the warmth of his torso from under his black v-neck. The smell of earth, like a foggy forest in the early morning, from his nape. This wasn’t a dream. It couldn’t have been. Though maybe these scents and feelings were all in your head, all a figure of your imagination.

“I told you you’re crazy.”

You felt his warmth leave you as his arms fell from your back and slipped onto your shoulders as he pushed you back.  You looked up to his eyes, feeling your legs go weak like Jell-o due to your previous near death experience. His eyes stared back at you, that same emotion you didn’t understand flashing across them for a moment before it faded and all you stared at now were two dark brown orbs.

Two dark brown orbs coupled with a tight, neutral expression.

“Let’s go.”

This was Myungsoo.

This was real.

 

 

 

He had caught you. Like he knew he would, he had caught you. It didn’t matter how wide the gap was, he knew he would be able to. The looming darkness of his previous thoughts disappeared, the color black not registering in his mind as his fingers slipped around your outstretched hand.

“I told you you’re crazy.”

He uttered, his voice a low mumble. He unwrapped his hands from you and pushed you away from him, away from the chasm. Then, he saw it. Your eyes blinked, once, twice, three times, as you stared at him. You were confused. You didn’t understand. He had called your name right in front of you for the first time and for some reason wanted to sit alone in a corner and reflect upon himself. He wanted to think things over, think over his innate reactions, his tone of voice he had no idea he could produce, think over everything.

Your lips slightly parted as you breathed out and he pulled out from his daze. What was this? This relationship? Acquaintances? Not quite. Friends? Not even close.

Friends.

The term brought him back from the insane nature of his thoughts. Friends. There was an obvious love polygon among his friends and you. He had chosen to opt out of it a long time ago. To not pursue this, whatever it was. To let it just run its course with no real action on his part.

In fact, a part of him wished he never met you. Never gotten almost run over by you. Never had even known of your existence. You were always affecting him. Always making him remember things he had long since buried deep down inside of him. Always asking questions.

Were you the mighty inquisitor?

Were you able to go a day without asking him a question?

Why couldn’t you just let things be?

Why couldn’t you just leave him alone?

He was done with this. After to two of you got out of here, there would no longer be a reason to be together. After you two got out of here, he could cut off his ties with you. The crazy woman that was you.

The crazy human woman that was you.

His friends could deal with you. They could decide amongst themselves with matters related to you. All after the two of you got out of here.

“Let’s go.”

His voice sounded unwavering, just the way he wanted it to. 

--------

A/N: 

It looks like Myungsoo's change of manner was too good to be true. Or perhaps not? It was nice while it lasted. Looks like you have to wait to find out if it will continue. For a few hours anyway~ This would have been a Block B chapter had I not planned before hand what it would be about. Rest assurred, we will get back to Block B and Infinite soon enough.

 

 

See you all then!