IX

Springfield

You gulped as you opened the cabinet above you. You didn't like the stares you were getting from the breakfast table. They were judging stares and you had gotten enough of that from school so you didn't need it at home too.

"What's your name again?" The straight-forward one, who you learned was named Dongwoo, asked with a frown on his face. You could tell he didn't like you from the bored eyes he was giving you.

"Hyunjoo," You told him your name for the fourth time today before pouring what was left in the coffee machine into four clean mugs and a cup. You gave the cup to Dongwoo and sarcastically smiled, "We don't usually have a whole battalion of people in here so forgive me for the dish ware selection."

He scoffed at your rudeness, "Last time I checked, we don't usually all know the same girl," he shot a look at Woohyun, "let alone mark her with our scent."

Woohyun choked on his coffee as he was mid-drink. After he recovered, he defended himself, "Look, she helped me so I returned the favor."

"'She?' Since when did you refer to humans by their gender titles?" The prettier faced one of the four, Myungsoo, frowned Woohyun's way. Woohyun pretended he didn't hear and kept drinking his coffee.

"She helped me too." The stranger from before, Hoya, came walking slowly back from the upstairs bathroom. Bandages covered his legs and shoulder however he seemed oddly fine, a bit too fine in fact. "She's not just some normal human." His look made you feel warm inside. You could feel his overwhelming trust for you. Something your family had never really given to you.

At his comment, you leaned onto the counter, more relaxed than before. At the very least, Hoya didn't scare you as much as he did before. The other three however still made the hair on the back of your neck stand up at attention. "I'd like to know why you keep calling me a 'human.' You guys are too so why are you making it sound like you're not?"

They looked away from you and seemed to send each other silent messages with their eyes. Dongwoo, the oldest of the four there, nodded to Woohyun who then put down his coffee mug. He walked over to you and gave your shoulders a soothing squeeze, "I'll tell you after school tomorrow, okay?"

You didn't know why, but Woohyun just jumped onto the 'people you weren't scared of' list. You nodded back to him in acceptance of his promise.

Dongwoo pulled out his phone and checked the time, "We have to go now, before that hunter changes his mind. Besides, Sunggyu has been waiting almost two hours for us." Hoya nodded towards you and walked to the door after setting down his coffee mug. Woohyun gave you one last squeeze before letting go and following Dongwoo and Hoya out the door.

Myungsoo shot daggers at you with his eyes. You glared back at him, not showing a single sign of backing down. After a short stare down, his lip twitched and he broke eye contact with you. He left with the rest of them.

As the door closed, you heaved a heavy sigh. It was finally over. The weirdness and abnormalities were over and done with. Well, until later tonight that is. You did the dishes then sank into your bed and fell asleep.

 

 

 

Hoya and Woohyun chatted about what had happened to the former for the past few days while Myungsoo and Dongwoo followed behind.

Dongwoo nonchalantly nudged Myungsoo to get his attention without the other two seeing, "That was the same girl wasn't it?" Myungsoo stayed quiet. "I know it was L because I'd never forget a face like that. I still remember it clearly. That night when it was raining and you called me almost on the brink of tears to help-"

"Shut up."

Dongwoo's eyes widened at Myungsoo's hostility. Myungsoo also remembered of course. But how could he forget? That night, the moon was full and he was looking for Hoya in the rain. He was blindly following Hoya’s trail and he didn’t even notice the blaring headlights of a car coming towards him. When he did notice, he met eyes for a moment with a human girl. You. Your car skidded to avoid him, soon coming to a stop. He would’ve kept going. You would’ve continued on your way and he would never see you again. However, his curiosity was too strong. That single moment he shared with you before you swerved your car left him wanting more. He approached the car, a red vintage volkswagon. That’s when he saw you, unconscious in the driver’s seat.

He didn’t know why, but the next thing he knew, he found himself running back to where he kept his change of clothes. It didn’t take long either. As soon as he did, he bolted back to your car, all the while dialing the first person he could. It was Dongwoo who answered. He didn’t remembered what he had said to him. His ears were ringing as he observed your lifeless face inside of the car. He was soaked to the bone by the rain. He knew not if it was the rain or his own tears that were now falling down his face. Dongwoo helped him break into the car and slip you into the back seat. Dongwoo put a jacket Myungsoo told him to bring onto your body. Next thing he knew, he found himself driving you back home. You had left your address on the gps on your phone so he knew where to go. When they finally arrived at your house, they found it easy to get in and out of the house.

Guessing that the room not being occupied was yours was also easy. Both he and Dongwoo snuck out of the house, making sure not to alert the neighbors. Then, like nothing happened, he and Dongwoo returned home. They didn’t talk about it at all. Not until now that is. But this entire time, he didn’t know why he did it. Why he felt such a strong attachment to you. Why he wanted to help you in such a way that was unnecessary.

Honestly, Myungsoo hadn’t even realized it was you until now. The girl he rescued then mistakenly threatened to kill. Before Dongwoo could ask what was wrong, Myungsoo shook his head free from past thoughts and mumbled to him, "Woohyun's marked her and it's not long until Hoya does too. I'm not going to get involved with that mess once it happens, so don't talk about it. Pretend that night never happened."

Dongwoo eyed Hoya, remembering his attitude towards you. He nodded in agreement however there was still one thing he didn't understand. Why it seemed like you were getting under Myungsoo's skin.

 

 

 

That day, Woohyun got up from his desk at school as soon as the bell rung. He pushed past the three boys who saw themselves as being his friends and walked straight past the girls who all saw themselves as an inch away from being his girlfriend. Sunggyu had once told him that it was them mistaking their fear for what he was for attraction to him. As the years went by, he realized it was true. Humans couldn’t tell what he was but they could sense it. They could feel that he was different from them which led to them unconsciously always trying to get on his good side. They were always in fear of what he could do to them.

He ignored the voice that called his name behind him, determined to live up to his promise to you. When he was suddenly yanked back by the arm, he turned around with a threating glare in his eyes. He softened once he realized who it was. “L? What is it?”

“Where are you going?” Myungsoo asked, his face a bit too calm looking. It was as if something was wrong with him.

Woohyun pushed Myungsoo’s hand away from his arm. “I’m doing what I said I would. What’s with you?”

Myungsoo lowered his head and bit his lip. He didn’t like where this was going. When they got home this morning, they had told Sunggyu what happened but they left out the part about finding Hoya at your house. They said they found him in the middle of the road, bleeding out, and broke into a house for medical supplies. Sunggyu didn’t even like that story so imagining how much he’d like knowing that they were about to reveal their heritage to a human wasn’t something Myungsoo wanted to do.

Woohyun breathed out, “Listen, I think we can trust her.”

Myungsoo went tense at that, “Trust her? You trust us who you’ve known for all your life, not someone who showed up into it three days ago.” He said through gritted teeth.

Woohyun placed his hand on Myungsoo’s shoulder, “Is this about not telling Sunggyu? He’s not the type to hold back against humans. You know what he went through. That’s why I didn’t tell him. Dongwoo and Hoya felt the same way so why are you suddenly being like this?”

Myungsoo scoffed, “Fine, you know what, do whatever the hell you want.” He shoved Woohyun off of him and stormed down the hallway.

Woohyun watched him, a puzzled expression on his face. “It’s not like L to be so uppity.” He flinched when he saw a group of people leaving past him. He remembered what he had to do and turned to find you.

------------------------------------

A/N: Dear lovely commenters and subscribers, here's another update for you~