II

Springfield

You came down the stairs freshly bathed and clothed. You ruffled your side swept bangs as you made your way into the kitchen/dining room. Your mom had just set down some pancakes and eggs onto the round wooden table. You rose your eyebrow at her, “Pancakes and eggs?” You were used to a refrigerated toasted waffle and a cup of milk for breakfast. Never had your mom actually cooked for you before.

“I thought I’d try cooking for once. New town, new house, hopefully a new us.” She wearily smiled at you. Ever since dad had left three months ago she had been depressed. That is until a friend of hers told her to move to the town she was living in. Your mom said it was a change of pace and convinced you to leave your home of seventeen years to come here. To a small town surrounded by forests called Springfield.

“Well, I’m not complaining.” You joked in an effort to make her smile for real this time. Instead, you got back a soft laugh as she set down a cup of orange juice for you.

“I’m going to work alright? I left the address to the school on the fridge along with your schedule.” She slipped on her shoes and was out the door before you could say anything else. You pouted.

“What good is breakfast like this if we can’t eat it together?” You heard her car start outside before the sound of it slowly disappeared. You chewed on your scrambled eggs in silence.

 

 

“Is this it?” You looked from the name of the school to the paper that your mom had left for you. It was built out of brick and gave the feeling that it had been there for a long time. You pulled into the parking lot and got out of the car after parking. Everyone was chatting as they slowly migrated inside the school.

Your shoes skidded due to the rain from yesterday as you made your way to the front, clutching your backpack. As you passed, you heard murmurs from the people around you. It was as if they had never seen a girl before or something. The hair on the back of your neck stood up as you felt their stares on you. You ignored it and walked into the school anyway. Your shoes squeaked as you walked on the tile floor. You pulled your schedule from your backpack and read that your homeroom was classroom 303. You tilted your head in confusion.

You looked around, finding students on their way to their respective classrooms. You stopped a girl who was reading something on the bulletin board in the hall, “Excuse me. Where is classroom 303?”

She turned and narrowed her eyes at you as if you had just asked the most repulsive thing in the world. She scoffed at you indignantly before walking away. You tilted your head and frowned at her attitude. You turned to see what she was looking at, finding a sign that said, “3rd floor, classrooms 300-310.”

You went up the stairs and were able to find the classroom. You entered, no one the wiser. You weren't sure where to sit since you missed the first day of school. "At least I got to skip orientation." You mumbled as you checked each seat for things inside. To your luck, the backseat window was empty. You set your bag down and grinned.

Suddenly, it was as if a pen had dropped inside of the classroom. Literally you heard a pen fall, that's how quiet it got. You looked up from your bag and saw quite the sight. You'd think that you had killed a puppy or something and from the way they were looking at you it actually made you believe you had. For some reason, none of them said anything as you sat down in your seat. You averted your eyes, thinking it must've just been that you had something on your face. That's when you heard it.

The murmurs.

All you could make out was, "Death wish."

You got shivers down your back. Exactly what about an empty desk was a death wish? Was the desk haunted? Maybe that's why no one sat there.

The door to the classroom opened, a short, stubby, older man entered. He stood at the podium and began roll call. He went down the list, each person answering respectively.

"Bang Minah"

"Here." The pretty girl seated in front of you enthusiastically answered.

"Kim Myungsoo."

When no one answered, the teacher looked up. He locked eyes with you and surprise spread across his face but then it was replaced with annoyance, "You're not Kim Myungsoo."

"I'm Song Hyunjoo sir."

He rose his eyebrow and looked down at his roster. "Oh, Song Hyunjoo. You weren't here yesterday."

You shook your head, "No sir, I just moved in today," before you could finish, he interrupted you.

"You missed the first day of school and thus missed the day to pick your seat. Get your things, you sit here." He pointed to the desk right in front of the podium. "Well of course no one would choose to be there." You thought to yourself as you grabbed your things. Some girls in the classroom giggled at you while some glared at you. The same glares you had received when you first set your bag on the desk. You looked back at the desk one more time before walking to the front.

"So the ghost's name is Kim Myungsoo. He must be something." You absentmindedly thought.