XCI

Springfield

 

“He was at the mayor’s house?”

You nodded, your body at the edge of the seat in passenger side of your car. Woohyun gripped tightly onto the steering wheel of the car. You kneaded your hands together in anxiousness as he drove. You were scared. Scared to the point of silently screaming inside of your head.

“Are you okay?”

Woohyun would be lying if he said he hadn’t noticed your obvious worry. You were not yelling, not even speaking in the least. You were just silently trembling next to him. He didn’t know what to do to soothe you now. He simply drove a little bit faster.

You didn’t answer him and instead bit down hard onto your bottom lip as you stared at the passing scenery, your foot tapping up and down in a fast paced rhythm. The time passed by slowly and after what seemed like hours, the two of you got to the werewolves’ home.

As soon as Woohyun pulled to a stop, you got out of the car. He quickly pulled the key from the ignition and went after you, locking the car behind him. Before you could reach the front door, he grabbed onto your hand and pulled you back. When you turned, the look on your face caused his insides to twist.

Why did he feel so helpless right now? He felt unable to do anything to make such an expression disappear. He just wanted you to smile at him, even if it was at his own expense. Was he the only one who felt this way? If he wasn’t, then why did the world seem so intent on making your smile get farther and farther out of reach for him?

“You know I’m here right?”

His words caused your clouded over mind to clear. It was as though you actually saw him for the first time since you had approached him just before. You nodded slowly and a tight smile appeared on his face. His fingers slowly left your hand, leaving behind an empty feeling as you felt the cool breeze of the afternoon hit your exposed palm.

He moved past you to open the door first. Your body moved on its own as you spun around and gripped onto the sleeve of his shirt and tugged him to you. He turned his body to you and his stiff expression melted.

“I know you’re here. I know.” You repeated to him. Woohyun has always been there for you. You didn’t know how you could ever forget that.

There his lips went, curving up into that cheesy smile that only he could pull off. He nudged his head forward, telling you to go in first. You slipped your hand back into his, the emptiness melting away due to his touch, and tugged him after you as you entered the house.

 

 

 

A light breath came out of Myungsoo’s mouth, causing years of dirt and dust to become disturbed and flutter off into different directions. The feeling of the dirt lightly showering his face made him wince. His eyes slowly opened, pitch-black darkness entered his vision aside from the gleam of a few blue colored lights peaking through the darkness above him. He lay on the ground for a moment, letting his eyes adjust to his surroundings. Soon, he could see his that he was in a room. A dusty, decrepit room.

He tried to move any part of his body that he could and found that his fingers twitched beside his face. He was laying face down and from what he could tell his body was in tact because he slowly was able to regain the feeling in each of his limbs. He exerted some of his strength in order to push himself up slowly. He was fine until he attempted to stand. He stumbled over into a heap quickly.

That’s when he remembered how he got here. He was shot. Shot by the mayor in his leg. He could still feel the cold metal inside of his thigh, the numbness from before gone with a now limp feeling settling in. He had to get the bullet out. If he didn’t, the wolfsbane would continue to spread through his veins, effectively stopping him from regenerating. Which meant he might die from blood loss.

He did not have any intention of doing such a thing.

He pulled himself to a sitting position and looked around. He spotted one larger beam of light than the others coming from the ceiling. He dragged himself towards it and once the light shone down on his leg, he leaned over it. The wound felt like it was pulsating now, the pain greater now that he actually saw the damage.

He ignored the gory sight in front of him and held down onto his knee with one of his hands while the other went for the wound. His fingers dug in, finding the bullet to be more near the surface than he thought. The skin on his fingers burned at the touch of it and he cringed, his teeth grinding down, as he yanked it from his leg. He flung it away from himself, not caring where it went as long as it went far away from him.

He took a deep breath, steadying himself. He gathered his nerves together before once more attempting to stand. He was ready for the pain to come rushing upwards this time and as a result was able to stay standing by putting all of his weight onto his other leg. He narrowed his eyes as he looked around again, finding a doorway to his right. He dragged his leg behind him as he walked towards it. Upon reaching it, he leaned against the doorway and looked out of the room.

A long, deserted hallway greeted him. Small lights lined the hallway though that didn’t make it any less of a decrepit place.

“I know this place.” His voice came out hoarser than usual, an effect of his throat being dry. 

He paid no mind to it as he swallowed down, wetting his dry throat. He used the wall to steady himself as he moved down the hallway, his eyes fluttering every so often as a few beads of sweat rolled down his face. He had a feeling he would pass out again soon. His body was starting to focus more on regenerating itself and less on actual movement, making it harder for him to walk each and every second.

He focused on moving one foot in front of the other as he continued to move down the hallway, his shoulder rubbing across the wall as he limped. He felt himself gradually reaching the end of his rope. He let his eyes slump close only for a moment and he felt his shoulder lose it’s support, causing him to almost stumble forward before he caught himself with his good leg.

He reached out for the wall, missing it by a few feet due to the engulfing darkness, and ended up slipping forward. He expected to hit the ground immediately but instead found himself tumbling downwards.

Stairs. That’s what he had fallen down onto instead of the ground. Just his luck.

After his world ceased to continue spinning and he now lay motionless on the ground, he felt like laughing at himself. He could feel himself drifting away, fading into the darkness around him. How did he get himself caught up in this mess? Bleeding out on the ground, feeling completely helpless to his impending future.

He knew what it meant to follow Sunggyu to Springfield when they first met. He knew it would not mean his life would be easy. There would be no one wishing him well here. Humans were all like that. At first, they would be curious. Then, they would grow amicable. Then, they would turn on him. His race, even his kind who he now called his brothers, would only be safe around their own. Still, knowing this, he followed Sunggyu.

Still, knowing this, he ran away from his previous pack.

Why?

“Why?” He asked himself out loud and he heard his conscious answer almost immediately, the tone of the voice inside of his head clear and resigned.

“Because I wanted to start over.” He let his inner voice free as he uttered the words he had just said to himself. The fact that he still found the strength to smile now, despite everything that happened to him, affirmed to him what he already knew. This was his life now, even if it meant once more passing out in this place, not knowing when he will be able to smell the clean air of the forest again, he liked it.

He let his eyes flutter closed, the sound of footsteps was the last thing he heard, and a shiny, black object clouding his line of sight was the last thing he saw before he once more let go and lost consciousness.

 

 

 

“Dealing with the mayor’s whims never did suit my taste.” Kyung complained as he flipped through the channels, the remote control for the television in his outstretched hand.

He and the rest of the hunters were now in the process of barring themselves in their home in an attempt to ignore the fact that they know the mayor entered their territory only hours ago.

“What is he doing anyway?” Jaehyo distastefully comments as he flicks his wrist. One of his knives went flinging from his fingers and stuck itself into the wooden wall by the entrance of the living room.

“Try not to mess up the only house we have on purpose.” Zico plucks the knife from the wall and tosses it onto the coffee table, indifferent to the situation. An attitude that Kyung catches onto immediately.

“You’re not really okay with this are you?” Kyung questions Zico, “The mayor just barges in unannounced again and we’re supposed to ignore it?”

“For now, yes.” Zico answers as he takes a seat on the couch a little ways away from Kyung and closes his eyes before breathing out. He was mentally tired from having to deal with B-Bomb leaving. Not only B-Bomb, but you as well.

Kyung opens his mouth to say more but Taeil speaks first.

“Just drop it.” Taeil interjected. He had to take up the peacemaker role ever since B-Bomb left. It wasn’t as easy a job as he imagined but he knew it was necessary. B-Bomb who would be the voice of reason, and you who would calm the situation with a simple stalwart sounding statement were gone.

Without warning, U-Kwon suddenly jumped over the back of the couch and landed effortlessly next to Zico. He snatched the remote control away from the raging Kyung and started flipping through the channels, ignoring the look Kyung was giving him at that very moment.

“What are you doing?” Jaehyo questioned

“There’s a horror movie special going on right now.” U-Kwon’s mouth formed into a grin and he held up one hand, wiggling his fingers at Jaehyo, “Ready to be scared out of your skin?” Jaehyo let out a sarcastic laugh though did not say he wasn’t interested in watching it.

“Count me in.” P.O. robustly sat next to U-Kwon and pushed him and Zico both to scoot over and make more room on the couch. The two joined forces and started to wiggle their fingers in a creepy motion in Jaehyo’s direction.

Zico let his mind drift, wondering what B-Bomb was doing right now. If he was okay with the werewolves. If he was getting what he always wanted since the two first met. Then, his mind drifted away from B-Bomb and to someone else. You. He wasn’t able to visit you anymore. He wondered if you changed at all. He could only remember you in the red dress he had bought you, your eyes sparkling under the moonlight as you gave him a skeptical look. If only such adorable eyes didn’t have a fiery, stubborn personality behind them then he wouldn’t be thinking about them even now.

----------

A/N:

That's all for now unfortunately. I hope you enjoyed this update everyone!

Good luck in school *for those of us who still go~*

 

 

Regretfully saying goodbye till next time.

Don't forget to comment below~