LVII

Springfield

Taeil pulled back on the trigger of his gun, sending a plastic dart flying past B-Bomb’s head. Taeil was a good shot but he could never get adjusted to the difference between fake and real gun. It didn’t sit right in his hand and it also didn’t respond to him as quickly as he wanted it to. However, those were just excuses. The real reason he missed B-Bomb, the reason he did not want to make known to himself, is that B-Bomb is stronger than him. B-Bomb followed behind Zico in ranking among to hunters, followed by U-Kwon, Kyung, P.O, Jaehyo, and last but not least Taeil himself.

B-Bomb came at him quickly, knowing full well that shooting from a distance would simply leave Taeil room to get in another shot. Besides that, the healer wasn’t good at close combat. He swung his crossbow, meaning to make impact on Taeil’s head. It swung harmlessly, cutting through the air so fast that the sound it made was audible. Taeil had ducked down just in time. He straightened out his shooting arm and aimed another bullet quickly before B-Bomb could react. It skimmed past his ear, merely snipping the corner before falling onto the ground.

B-Bomb used his backhand to flip Taeil back in front of him. Taeil tried to resist but his footing on the ground wasn’t steady enough. B-Bomb swung again at Taeil with the blunt of his crossbow. Taeil used his unsteady feet to his advantage, slipping onto the ground on his back to avoid it this time. He squinted in pain and his gun landed a few feet away. He was too tired. This was the fourth time today he had gotten into a hand to hand fight with B-Bomb. Each time, he would always run away to regroup himself. To buy himself more time. The reason was because each outcome of each fight was the same. They all ended with him being on the receiving end of B-Bomb’s crossbow.

He didn’t have it in him anymore to fight against it. Still though, he knew you were out there somewhere in a much worse position than he was right now. He couldn’t give in so quickly. He focused once more, forcing himself to think of all possible ways to fight against the inevitable. As B-Bomb steadied his crossbow as he stood above Taeil, that’s when he saw his chance. He used his foot to trip B-Bomb, sending him stumbling forward. He fell next to Taeil face first. Taeil scrambled up to get his gun. As soon as he had a grasp on the handle, he pivoted around in his kneeling position and fired. The problem was, he didn’t hear only the sound of a gun going off. He heard the sound of an arrow ripping wind.

That’s when he felt it. The impact of rubber onto his forehead. He blinked a few times in wonder. He had missed. B-Bomb was in front of him, his on the ground as he took a deep breath. Taeil was close. So close. But once more, his plastic gun failed him. B-Bomb’s aim however was as good as ever. He hit straight onto Taeil’s forehead. Taeil absentmindedly pulled the plastic arrow off of his head. He stared at the arrow in his hand. Again, again he couldn’t pull it off.

B-Bomb stood up now and upon seeing the look on Taeil’s face, held out a hand to help him up, “You almost had me there.”

Taeil looked up at B-Bomb, his facial features still clearly showing his disappointment. Still, he took B-Bomb’s outstretched hand and got up off the ground.

B-Bomb gave him a reassuring nod before heading off to where he felt the presence of others in the forest. Taeil called out to him, making him turn around, “Go easy on her, no matter what, she’s still a girl.”

B-Bomb smiled, “That’s where you’re wrong. She’s no mere girl.” Taeil didn’t understand the look in B-Bomb’s eyes. Amusement? Excitement? No. No that wasn’t it. Fear?

 

 

 

You let out a gasp as you quickly ducked down. Your knees hit the ground and you scrambled on all fours quickly out of the way of a flying kick in your direction. As you leapt back onto your feet, you met eyes with Kyung. He did not look all too angry. In fact, he looked excited. Of course he would be. Kyung was the violent type; the type that enjoyed situations where he could be violent and not face repercussions. That did not make your situation any better.

Just a few moments ago, as U-Kwon, P.O, and yourself were trekking through the forest, Kyung and Zico showed up. They looked ready to go as well since they had not yet actually expended energy to fight head-on. Luckily for you, U-Kwon and P.O were now engaged in combat against Zico. Unluckily for you, you had Kyung chasing you around without letting up in the least.

That’s when you heard the sound of a gunshot. You averted your eyes for only a second before realizing that P.O was on the ground. It seemed as though Zico got a punch in on him because the swelling that quickly formed on his cheek was not pretty. That plus as rubber bullet on his chest. U-Kwon, who you assumed was tossed off of Zico before, quickly got onto his feet. This wasn’t looking good for either of you. If U-Kwon couldn’t get Zico, there was no way you were going to.

An arm grabbed your wrist as it dragged you towards them. Of course, you couldn’t forget that you still had Kyung to deal with. If you couldn’t beat him, there was definitely no beating Zico. You used the momentum of Kyung’s tug on you to send him swinging to the left with a simple turn of your arm. He let go as his heels skidded him to a stop. He came at you again.

Kyung wasn’t as fast as Jaehyo, however he thought more on his feet. Each time you even thought of a plan of counter-attack, he would see right through it. That was the reason he came at you with no inhibitions; to prevent you from even having a chance to attack him. But you knew you couldn’t just let him get in your way. You weren’t going to run. If this was how he wanted to play then you would gladly play along.  You were going to face him head on. Face all of your problems head on.

With that thought, an idea sprouted in your head. You couldn’t stop the cocky smile that made its way onto your face. Kyung caught it and narrowed his eyes as he went in for another punch. He thought it would all be over quickly but for some reason you were like a little monkey with the way you kept on dodging him. At this point, he was getting annoyed and your snarky smirk didn’t help soothe his annoyance. He straightened his arm to point his gun at you. This would be the end of this game of cat and mouse. At least that’s what he thought.

As soon as he pointed his gun at you, you knew that was your opportunity. Instead of ducking or running behind him to avoid it, you ran straight towards him. It only took a good four running steps before you were nose to nose with him. Kyung’s eyes widened in shock. His jaw even hung open and his mind blanked out. You tried something you had only seen done in movies. You grabbed him by his collar and head-butted him. The first thing you felt, pain. It felt like someone had hit you in the forehead with a hammer. Kyung fell backwards onto the ground, his eyes dazed as his head pounded. You quickly put your pain to the back of your mind as you quickly took your knife from your belt.

Kyung tried to get up but you kicked him down by landing the strongest kick you could muster onto his chest. He definitely wasn’t expecting that either because he fell back down onto the ground. You quickly pinned him down before he came back to his senses and put the dingy plastic knife to his neck. One motion and he would be out.

Your ears then caught onto something winding back. You didn’t think fast enough to register the familiar noise. On your left temple, something cold hit you with so much force that your head jerked to the right. You heard the sound again before a black flash of something black and skinny flew past your face and hit something else. You no longer heard the sounds of motion from where Zico and U-Kwon were. Everything went silent. Something jumped down from the trees to your left. The figure steadied themselves and wiped the leaves off of their clothes.

“We win.” The brown-haired boy said. B-Bomb said. That’s when your brain finally started to work again. The thing that had hit you was an arrow. You looked to your right and found U-Kwon plucking the plastic from his head. “Game over.” B-Bomb said as he hooked his crossbow onto the strap on his back. 

---------

A/N:

It's late, I know. TT^TT I was so busy today that now I just want to lay down and sleep. 

The training exercise has come to a close. Are you satisfied with the winners? Do you think Hyunjoo was simply fighting the inevitable?

Don't forget to leave a comment below~