XXXII

Springfield

“Earthquakes don’t happen often in Springfield I take it?” You asked as you followed Dongwoo down a flight of stairs to what looked like the basement. You hadn’t been in Springfield long enough but from the looks of Dongwoo’s expression, earthquakes didn’t happen often.

Dongwoo’s next step caused something to crack beneath him. Both you and he looked down to see the broken remains of what seemed to be a jar of some kind. Dongwoo’s teeth gritted. He stood up from his kneeling position and went to look at the door now in front of him. When the jar broke earlier, he was able to hear it was from down here but really he had no idea where he was going. He had never really been in the basement before except once or twice. Those times where because Sunggyu’s grandfather asked him to move something heavy down there for him. Besides Sunggyu himself, there would be no one who knew what was behind this door. There was a large latch on the outside of it as well, only enhancing his fears of this place. He bit them back and went to the door anyway, though something disrupted his thoughts.

“We’re home!” Dongwoo heard Sungjong call from upstairs. He turned back to you and hesitantly he gently pushed you to go back the way you two had come. It seemed as though investigating would have to wait for now.

The two of you reached the top of the stairs and closed the door in enough time for Sungjong not to see where you two had come from. “Hmm? What are you guys doing?” He asked innocently though he was a bit suspicious of you two. Dongwoo gave you a look and you understood it immediately.

“He was giving me a tour of the house.” You nudged him and gave him an almost unhealthy grin. He held back the urge to laugh at your obviousness. He all but forgot what he was just doing. What kind of bad feeling he got from that door. All it took was a little smile and laugh from you and the mysterious door wasn’t important anymore. He put it to the back of his mind as him, Sungjong, and you walked back to the living room together.

“Whoa,” was your first word as you entered the living room. All five other werewolves were decked out in black suits. Their hair was gelled up and if anything they looked like they were about to go on a date with someone. You felt like you had seen something you shouldn’t have and looked away from them. You saw out of the corner of your eyes that Sungjong was in the same attire. You didn’t know why you hadn’t noticed before. You saw Dongwoo take a step forward and you remembered it was because you were covering for him.

“What is it?” Woohyun questioned your odd behavior. You shook it off and looked forward, though the second look at them dressed like that blinded you more than the first time you had looked.

“Nothing.” You forcibly spoke. You walked forward and sat down next to Hoya on the couch. He gave you a sly smile as if reading your thoughts that you couldn’t help but laugh.

“Get dressed Dongwoo, tonight’s the night.” Sunggyu scowled as if he didn’t like his own orders. Dongwoo frowned and dejectedly walked back to his room. You weren’t sure why but the atmosphere got darker quickly.

“Tonight’s the night?” You repeated Sunggyu’s words. He looked at you, his usual scolding and nagging face nowhere to be seen. Instead, he looked at you with an expression that was asking you for help. But why? What could a big bad werewolf be afraid of?

Myungsoo, who was in front of the mirror above the table next to the doorway of the living room, adjusted his tie, “We’re going out.” He turned and frowned, “A party.”

For it being a party, they didn’t look all that excited. They look more mortified than anything. They weren’t afraid of hunters but they were afraid of a party? Things kept getting more and more confusing.

“What’s the celebration about?” You asked, “And why is it on the same day as…” You stopped talking; thinking you probably shouldn’t have known that today was Sunggyu’s Grandfather’s death anniversary.

“The mayor is hosting an event to celebrate the day they eliminated all werewolves from Springfield. That’s on the inside though. On the outside, it’s a party to commemorate the town’s founding.” You jumped and looked behind you, finding Sungyeol leaning onto the couch from behind you.

“Town’s founding, what a load of,” Hoya mumbled but shook his head to stop himself.

“But why would you go to something like that?” You asked as you raised an eyebrow.

“Simple,” Dongwoo came back from changing and you found him just as mesmerizing as the others were, “We’re the main attraction.”

“He knows we’re werewolves and he uses our ability to attract humans to draw more people to the event. In exchange, he won’t reveal our secret. It’s not that fair if you ask me.” Sungjong frowned as he tightened his fists till his knuckles turned white.

“Then why go? Just leave town.” No one answered you this time. Instead, they all just threw glances around the room.

“We can’t,” You looked to Sunggyu, who actually sounded hesitant to speak his mind for once, “he has something we need.”

You bit your lip, “Well,” you thought for a moment. Did you actually want to meet this Mayor? This man who holds power of the people who you trust the most right now? The answer was simple, “Can I go?” You asked while you put on a coy smile.  

--------------

A/N: 

It looks like for now, we'll all have to continue on wondering why that earthquake occured. 

Thank you guys for commenting and subscribing~ I didn't update earlier because the site was taking awhile to load and I didn't want to risk posting and having something happen. So here it is now!