LXXVIII

Springfield

 

Sungjong kept close to you in case you decided to take off again. You didn’t have the urge to laugh at his silliness now, not when you had just lost the chance to find out where the hunters were. You had long since quelled the anger towards Sungyeol for holding you back but that didn’t stop you from regretting what happened.

“Hyunjoo?” Sungyeol called out to you from your left. When you turned, you found him looking back at you with a sad expression on his face, “Are you angry with me?”

Your eyes widened at his statement. Immediately, you shook your head no, “Of course not.”

Sungyeol could tell you were agitated since earlier. Still, he did not regret what he did. Even if he could turn back time, he would do it again. He would not be able to live with himself if something happened to you while he just watched again. Whether it was some odd man in black or Sunggyu, he wasn’t going to watch as you bled in front of him as you did that day on the full moon.

You saw that he was unconvinced and sighed, “Even if I was Sungyeol, I can’t stay that way for long. Not towards you.”

He felt comforted at your words and drew his eyes away from you to avoid you seeing the reddening of his ears. You let a slight smile come onto your face and turned to continue walking forward. Sungjong came up next to Sungyeol, a frown on his face, “I’m jealous of you Hyung.”

Sungyeol locked eyes with him and raised an eyebrow, “You have no idea what you’re saying.”

 

 

 

“Hyunjoo!” B-Bomb yelled in desperation. “Where are you?” He yelled, his voice cracking.

“We can’t keep this up. Looking for her in this place is useless.”

B-Bomb whipped his head around and glared at U-Kwon who was sitting on the floor, tired out of his mind. “You’re going to give up on her?”

U-Kwon hung his head low, “You know I don’t want to. We have to go back to the door we found. If we stop here and turn back, we can still find our way to it. Then, we can get out of here. Zico cut her off from us so that she could get out. She’s probably out there waiting for us.”

B-Bomb snarled and reached down for U-Kwon’s collar. He tightened his grip on the piece of cloth and dragged U-Kwon up to face him, “Stop saying things you don’t even believe yourself.” He banged U-Kwon’s back against the concrete wall, “You don’t know her at all if you think she would actually listen to Zico.”

U-Kwon looked up and locked eyes with B-Bomb. He grinded his teeth together, his upper lip twitching, “Of course she wouldn’t listen to him. She’s probably running around here looking for us.” His voice softened at his last sentence. He moved away from B-Bomb and took a deep breath, “That doesn’t mean I can’t have wishful thinking that for once she did listen, right?”

B-Bomb stared at his comrade. U-Kwon looked like he would break down any second. They were still banged up from the fight from earlier as well and were extremely tired. If this went on any longer, he wouldn’t be able to stop the impending events that followed. Of all things, he did not want that happening here.

“Alright, let’s go back.”

U-Kwon’s eyes widened at his words.

“Let’s get out of here.”

 

 

 

You let your fingers run across an old doorframe, a small twinkling sound coming from your wrist. The small noise was enough to catch Sungjong’s attention. “What’s that?” He asked, surprising you. You weren’t sure what he was referring to thus you could only stare at him in confusion. He huffed and pointed to the small glittering of silver around your wrist, “That.”

You followed his gesture and realized that you had been wearing the bracelet Zico gave you to wear at the mayor’s party. “Ah,” you said, your lips slightly parted as you thought over how to explain it. Simply tell the truth? That seemed like a bad idea considering how sensitive Sungjong was, “Its just jewelry.” You couldn’t risk him taking it from you. After all, it was a gift from Zico.

Sungjong narrowed his eyes as you lifted your arm to him for him to get a better look. A small charm hung from the bracelet and from what he could tell, it looked like a gun. Rather, it was a gun. He locked eyes with you again in wonder of why you would wear such a thing.

You showed a smile to cover up your lack of explanation and continued on. You clutched onto the bracelet on your wrist while Sungjong and Sungyeol weren’t looking. You could only pray that they were safe even. Both the werewolves and the hunters.

 

 

 

“What’s this?” Sungjong asked, his nose perking up as his eyes became suddenly alert. He turned to Sungyeol who was equally as startled, “Do you smell that?”

Sungyeol couldn’t believe what he was currently sniffing out just a few feet in front of them, “It can’t be. Can it?”

“What? What do you smell?” You asked as you looked around.

Sungjong whipped around to face you, a large smile making its way onto his face, “Grass.” He told you enthusiastically. You rose an eyebrow at him. He was excited about smelling grass? Had his wolf instincts taken over? Did he have to go the bathroom or something? “Hyunjoo!” He yelled in your face as he held tight onto your shoulders, making your questions go out the window, “Grass! We smell grass!”

You pursed your lips, “Grass? How could you smell grass through all of this dust?” That’s when it clicked in your head. “Wait, are you sure?”

He nodded, positive about his claim. Behind you, Sungyeol wrapped his arms around your waist and spun you around. You were surprised by his sudden action and yelped. Clearly the two of them were ecstatic. Why wouldn’t they be? If they smelled grass after so long, that meant that somewhere close to where you were was an exit out of this labyrinth.

 

 

 

“L,” Woohyun called out as he held a hand backward, “Do you hear that?”

Myungsoo stopped in his tracks, gazing at Woohyun’s outstretched hand. He was about to ask what Woohyun had heard when his ears picked up the sound of moving metal. A screeching noise of metal scraping on concrete to be exact. “From behind us?” He questioned as he turned.

The two glanced at each other, speaking through their eyes, before heading back down the way they came. They turned left at the fork and found themselves at the dead they had tried to go down earlier. However, it was no longer a dead end. The metal wall at the end of the hallway was no longer there. Instead, light from the early morning sun poured into the gloomy darkness that surrounded Myungsoo and Woohyun.

“It’s an exit.” Woohyun said, his breathing hitched as he got closer, “But how?”

Myungsoo walked in front of Woohyun, an equally amazed look on his face, “We should ask questions later.” Myungsoo and Woohyun walked quickly towards the light, the scent of nature penetrated their nostrils as they finally escaped the hell like prison of this labyrinth.

 

 

 

A door clicked close slowly, followed by light footsteps.

“You’re arriving just now?”

Tiffany froze in place and looked up the stairs leading to the second floor. Her grandfather stood there in his pajamas. It seemed as though he had just woken up but Tiffany knew better. Most likely he had been waiting since yesterday afternoon for her to come home.

She bowed respectfully without a second thought, “I’m sorry.” She gulped down and gripped onto the hem of her shirt. She waited for him to say something.

“It is alright.”

She breathed a sigh of relief and rose from her bowing position.

“I knew where you were so I could have found you if I went looking.”

Her heartbeat thumped against her ribcage, “Yes,” she stuttered, keeping her eyes off of him.

“I’m not angry.” Her grandfather came down the stairs slowly. Each click of his cane on the wooden stairs made her flinch. “I understand your intentions. You did it because you care about that girl. However, you know how I feel about meddling in the affairs of others.”

Tiffany descended to her knees, not at all caring for her pride at the moment. Before she could get a word out, he spoke again.

“Though this time, it seemed too easy to use this event to make a mockery of that middle-aged fool and his trophy wife.” Tiffany looked up in surprise at her grandfather, “Fun as you would say.” He gave her a smile as he gestured for her to stand. Once she did, his playful smile faded into one of compassion, “And if you care for this girl as much as you seem to, I thought opening a few doors was worth the trouble.”

Tiffany bit down on her lip in an attempt to stop her grateful tears from falling.

Her grandfather steadied both of his hands on the top of his cane, his posture commanding, “What did I teach you to say in these kinds of situations?”

Tiffany’s trembling lips formed a smile and she bowed again, “Thank you grandfather.”

 

 

 

“No,” Zico clenched his teeth, “Don’t let yourself go now. We’re finally out.”

P.O. writhed as Zico continued to support him as they stumbled through the forest. He let out an unearthly growl, his eyes hooded.

“Dammit!” Zico cursed, knowing full well he wouldn’t be able to stop what happened next by himself. 

------------

A/N:

Ever try to wake up early but fail every time? That's been happening alot to me lately. 

Did this chapter reveal any answers to your questions or did it just give you more of them? Maybe both? I'd like to know :)