XLI

Springfield

 

“Welcome. Thank you for joining me and my family this afternoon.” The mayor greeted as he opened the front door. On his face lay an almost creepy smile.

“Our pleasure.” A woman’s voice said. Her voice was so soothing you almost had to catch yourself from falling over.

“Watch your steps.” The mayor said with glazed over eyes as he took in the beauty of the woman as she entered. A pair of heels clicked onto the floor and stepped inside. In walked a long legged beauty. Her hair was dark brown, curled at the ends as it fell down her back. She wore a rather casual outfit but looked stunning none the less.

“Thank you.” The woman smiled and you swore you felt Sunggyu’s grip on your hand loosen a bit. You looked up at him with confused eyes. You knew she was beautiful but you didn’t expect Myungsoo to also be wide mouthed due to her appearance.

The woman noticed you and turned slowly to face you. You blinked a few times out of nervousness. She sent you a warm smile and your insides did a loop-de-loop. The mayor interrupted, sending you on alert mode once more, “This is Song Hyunjoo. The one I was telling you about.”

The woman turned back to him with wide eyes. A man spoke up suddenly in front of her, apparently he had come with her. It was an older, short man who had a cane in his hand to keep himself from falling over. You had not even noticed that the woman had helped him in before walking in herself earlier. You were too distracted by her. She had something about her that you couldn’t shake off.

“Song Hyunjoo?” The older man asked, his wrinkles made him look more wise than scary. You wondered what two such people were doing hanging around with the mayor. “You are very beautiful. How old are you little one?” More than creeped out, the old man’s voice reminded you of a grandfather’s voice. You were calmed by it just as much as the woman’s voice.

You bowed politely before answering, “Seventeen, sir.”

He nodded and a soft smile came onto his lips, “Seventeen? You’re so young. You have a long life ahead of you.”

The woman laughed at the old man’s joking ways. “We have not properly introduced ourselves have we?” She asked. “This is my grandfather.”

“You may call me Mr. Hwang.” He told you. You nodded.

“My name is,” the woman continued, “Stephanie Hwang. But you can call me Tiffany.” She bowed elegantly in your direction. You couldn’t help but do the same though questioned yourself afterwards. From the look of this man and woman, and the look on the mayor’s face, these people were definitely the “elites” he had talked to you about before.

Myungsoo stood glued to his spot as he stared. In fact, he had been staring the entire time. Sunggyu was stiff in your grip as well. Both of them couldn’t help themselves. This woman named Tiffany commanded their attention whether they liked it or not.

“Sunggyu?” You pulled on his arm a bit. Myungsoo immediately snapped out of his daze due to your voice. He turned to you and Sunggyu to find Sunggyu looking down at you with a confused expression. Neither of them knew exactly what was going on at the moment.

“Oppa?” Minah pulled down his shoulder possessively. He had been ignoring her the entire time and she didn’t like it at all. He looked at her, a smile being the last thing he wanted to give her but he did it anyway. Minah breathed out in relief.

“You two must be Sunggyu and Myungsoo?” The older man asked. They turned to him in recognition. “I’ve heard much about you two as well. It seems as though this lunch will not be as lackluster as I thought it would be.”

 

 

 

The mayor stared at you, Myungsoo, and Sunggyu with disdain. You three had commanded all of the attention from his two guests and he disliked being ignored. You were even more perplexed by the fact that at the dining table, you had Sunggyu to your right and Myungsoo to your left. Sunggyu had a hold on your hand and seemed to be completely oblivious that he was doing it. Myungsoo was scooted dangerously close to you as he tapped his fingers on the table for lack of a better thing to do with himself.

Myungsoo should have been with Minah, but instead ended up sitting across from her. To her right sat the beautiful woman from before, Tiffany. Next to her was her grandfather. And of course, the mayor was seated at the head of the table.

Tiffany had both elbows on the table, her chin resting in her palms, as she batted her eyelashes at you. “So you moved here just recently?” She asked you.

“Two months ago.” You answered, your voice almost stuttering on you.

“How do you like Springfield?” She asked you with a smile.

You paused on that question. You turned your head to steal a glance at Sunggyu, then Myungsoo. You were still alive so it wasn’t bad at all right now. “It’s a nice place.” You answered.

“Isn’t it?” Tiffany smiled widely.

“It must be when she has both hands full of men who fawn over her.” Tiffany’s grandfather, Mr. Hwang, commented with a teasing smile.

Sunggyu and Myungsoo both snapped out of their daze and looked towards Mr. Hwang with questioning eyes. They felt like he had just pointed out their unconscious habit.

“Well I wouldn’t really call it fawning.” You mumbled as you diverted your eyes.

“With the way Sunggyu is holding your hand right now, I’d say it is.” Mr. Hwang picked on your small comment. Sunggyu’s eyes widened. He had just realized what he was doing and immediately let go of you. Myungsoo’s lip twitched at how the old man was able to make you look away from embarrassment.

It was hard not to be embarrassed. It was like being teased by your own grandfather on your father’s side, who had long since died eight years ago. Your grandfather on your mom’s side didn’t exactly like you so that was another story.

“Is Myungsoo jealous?” Tiffany asked with a sly expression. Myungsoo immediately went on the defensive.

“No.” He answered sternly.

Tiffany was taken by surprise with his sudden hostility. She lifted her elbows from the table and looked toward her grandfather with a silly surprised expression. Mr. Hwang laughed softly, “You protest too much little one. A man shouldn’t wear his heart on his sleeve.”

Myungsoo growled, “I’m not jealous.” He said again, except this time he looked at the old man as if he would jump over the table and kill him if he said anything else.  

Myungsoo disliked the fact that he kept on being grouped together with you. He didn’t want anything to do with the little love polygon that was going around right now. He called hands off on it long ago but for some reason he was being handcuffed to the idea; unable to get away.

“Oppa doesn’t like Hyunjoo.” Minah spoke up, her voice squeaking, “She’s Sunggyu’s girlfriend.”

“Can we not let little trivialities such as teenage love lives distract us from our point?” The mayor spoke up. For his first words in the whole conversation, he seemed intent on making his guests focus on him.

“Ah right. Forgive us.” Tiffany bowed lightly, “But first shouldn’t we have lunch?” She suggested around the table. Whether anyone liked it or not, you all ended up eating lunch. The night came upon you with not one person saying the word “elite.”

 

 

 

Sunggyu threw his jacket on the couch as soon as he got home and took a seat. Myungsoo sat down next to him with no expression whatsoever. Dongwoo peaked his head into the living room, “You’re back late. How did it go?”

The two of them didn’t even look at him. Dongwoo rose an eyebrow at their curious behavior. “Did something happen?” Sungjong entered the living room with a worried look, “Did Hyunjoo get hurt again?” His eyes got serious as he clenched his fists.

“No.” Sunggyu answered, the tone to his voice not hinting at his feelings in the least.

“I couldn’t stop thinking about her.” Myungsoo spoke out loud out of nowhere. Sunggyu didn’t say anything.

“Who?” Sungjong asked as he and Dongwoo got closer.

“I feel fine now though. Looks like as long as she’s not near us we’ll be fine.” Sunggyu said in reply.

“Who?” Sungjong asked, his voice showing his obvious curiousness.

“I don’t want to feel like that again.” Myungsoo frowned. He had sat close to you because being near you seemed to be all that kept him from going completely comatose for the woman named Tiffany. Sunggyu might have been the stronger one but his desire was even stronger. He had held onto your hand in order to keep himself grounded. To at the least keep some of his thought process going.

“What are you talking about?” Sungjong almost yelled in his urgency to figure out what was wrong.

“What’s going on?” Dongwoo asked, his eyebrows scrunched together as he waited for their answer.

Sunggyu turned towards them and scowled, “We didn’t find the necklace. The elites are not suspicious however so we have nothing to worry about.” He stood up and grabbed his jacket before disappearing towards the stairway.

Myungsoo got up as well and did the same.

Dongwoo and Sungjong exchanged looks with each other.

“They are hiding something.” Sungjong lifted his hand to his mouth and bit down on his thumb’s fingernail in nervousness.

Dongwoo nodded in agreement. “We have to ask Hyunjoo tomorrow what happened.”

“Yeah.” Sungjong replied, determined.

-----------

A/N:

I see I have a Sunggyu supporter out there (woot woot!) 

This was a longer chapter to make up for the last one~

Thank you for reading and don't forget to leave a comment below!