LXXXI

Springfield

 

You gulped down and knocked on the door in front of you. What you were doing now was risky. Incredibly risky. Still, the benefits that could come out of it made it worth the hazard. The door opened slowly and your eyes widened in surprise at who had opened the door.

Myungsoo stood in front of you now, looking you over silently. When he realized you didn’t have any injuries, his stomach unclenched itself in relief. Despite his inner struggle against it, he wasn’t able to stop thinking about you since he and the others escaped that underground maze. However, as usual, he had his pokerface on. You had no inkling about what he was feeling.

“Hyunjoo?” A voice asked out in urgency. Hoya was standing behind Myungsoo, his face showing emotions ranging from happiness to shock. You would’ve smiled at him however you couldn’t exactly do so right now.

“Can I talk to you all?” You asked with pleading eyes.

Myungsoo stepped away from the door, leaving room for you to enter, and walked back towards the stairs. You watched his receding back with a heavy heart. He hadn’t said any words at all and to your surprise, you wanted to hear his voice. You wanted to know that he was okay. Him, who disliked you the most, went underground to look for you with the others. You sighed as he disappeared from view. You couldn’t help but think this was just the way Myungsoo did things. Seeing him was more than enough for you for now.

Hoya eyed the way you looked at Myungsoo. The relationship you two seemed to have was a mystery to him. He focused back on you once Myungsoo had left the vicinity. “Talk to us? Now? Sungyeol said you’d be coming to talk tomorrow.” Hoya said as he backed up, letting you come inside.

You nodded and stepped inside, gesturing behind you with your hand in a waving motion. You looked back at Hoya, “If you try to hurt him, I won’t simply overlook it and forgive you.”

Hoya had no idea why your tone was suddenly so intimidating. Who in the world would he hurt for no reason?

Then, he got his answer. From behind you, B-Bomb entered the house. Hoya wanted to rip his throat out immediately.

 

 

 

“First, can I get you all to promise me you won’t hurt him?” You asked around the living room where all the werewolves now gathered. They all looked presumingly at B-Bomb. You glanced at B-Bomb standing at your side. He was quiet, no defensive position to be seen, just as you had asked him to be.

Sunggyu slowly nodded as he gathered both of his hands into his lap. You breathed out, thankful that was out of the way.

“I need to ask you to do something, if it’s possible.” They all waited for you to speak, “I want you to teach B-Bomb how to control his transformations.” You could see the obviousness of their emotions in front of you. “I know he’s a werewolf and that he drinks Wolfsbane to control himself because of what he says is,” you glanced at B-Bomb and he gave you the okay to continue with a slight nod, “his impure heritage. He said you’re all ‘Pure Bred’ werewolves with the ability to change at will instead of having it control you like it does to the hunters.”

“So that’s your question?” Hoya asked, all the while glaring at the hunter named B-Bomb. “If we can teach him how to transform at will without losing control of himself?”

You nodded slowly.

“You came here to ask us to do this for him? After everything they’ve done to us?”

You glanced at B-Bomb from your peripheral. He was grimacing at Sungyeol’s words. Out of all the hunters, B-Bomb was the one who was the least enthusiastic about fighting the werewolves. Otherwise, he would never have helped you when he first met you and continued to from that day on. You had to convince them of his good nature somehow.

“It’s not pity, is it? What you feel for the hunters.”

You froze, your thoughts unraveling themselves at Sungjong’s sudden words. All eight pairs of eyes in the room were on you now. You never thought the answer you had given to Sungjong’s question the day before would come back to bite you.

“Pity? You feel pity towards us?” B-Bomb asked, mildly in shock. You turned to him, wanting to explain that you had only said those words to dismiss the topic. Yet, nothing came out of your mouth. “Is that why you cried?”

The silence in the room now was unnerving. You shot a glare at B-Bomb. Why in the world did he have to mention such a thing at the most inappropriate time?

“You,” Woohyun stopped his words as he took it in, “cried?”

B-Bomb looked at all seven faces in front of him in the living room. All of which were stunned by the very idea of you crying. He turned to you, not at all knowing he stepped on a ticking time bomb, “What, they’ve never seen you cry before?” He saw you snarl at him, telling him to shut up. He turned back to the werewolves now, still angered by Sungjong’s statement about you ‘pitying’ the hunters, “She may pity us but I guess we’re more important to her than you all are.”

Dongwoo stood up from his seat on the couch but Woohyun was faster. You quickly intercepted him, thankful you were standing beside B-Bomb at this moment.

Woohyun stopped in his tracks as you lay your hand onto his chest, “You won’t hurt him.” You told him, your voice unwavering in its resolve. Woohyun’s tense shoulders relaxed and his face unstiffened. You turned back to B-Bomb and your upper lip curled up in anger, “And you, stop picking fights and speaking nonsense. You came here to get their help. Not to get beat up.”

“No,” Sunggyu spoke up for the first time, “pick a fight if you want to.” He stood up from his seat on the couch and approached B-Bomb. You watched on in confusion as Sunggyu took a stand in front of you and B-Bomb. Woohyun took a few steps back, allowing Sunggyu to have some space. Sunggyu didn’t even look towards you, his eyes only on B-Bomb, “Though it’s not a fight you could win. You must know that by now.”

Dongwoo stepped towards you, pulling you away from B-Bomb and Sunggyu by your shoulders. You looked back at him, wondering why in the world Sunggyu was riling B-Bomb up all of a sudden. Dongwoo shook his head no, telling you not to interfere. He pulled you a good ten steps away, next to the fireplace, and held you in place by the shoulders. You didn’t like being so far away but your mind told you to watch what happened next. To think you still trusted Sunggyu to such a high degree after so long.

“You must hate us, the look in your eyes says that much. I doubt you can act on something as weak as hatred though. Why else have the hunters not been able to succeed in killing us?” Sunggyu’s eyes scanned B-Bomb from top to bottom. A wicked smile formed on his face, “Then again, I can see why just from looking at you. It’s funny you all think you can kill us in your human forms. It’s even funnier that you hold back from shifting into your true selves. Either way, mutts that came from muddled families like yours are nothing to us. You’re trash.” Sunggyu leaned closer to B-Bomb’s face, “Trash.” He whispered.

B-Bomb’s bottom lip quivered, his pupil’s constricted, and his body trembled from the rage he was trying to keep a lid on. His insides were on fire and he felt the feeling he used to always get years ago. A murderous intent spread throughout him and he clenched his fists, keeping it quelled down as much as he could.

Dongwoo’s grip on your shoulders tightened. Hoya and Myungsoo took steps forward. Sungjong didn’t back down either, preparing himself for what could happen. Woohyun’s muscles flexed, waiting for the big blow up.

“Are you getting angry?” Sunggyu mocked him, “I had no idea trash had feelings.”

There it was. The explosion. B-Bomb let out an inhuman growl. He fell down into a kneeling position, his fingers running through his hair as he continued to yell out. The pit of his stomach felt like it was kneading itself. His skin was on fire and he wanted to tear it off.

Dongwoo pulled you behind him, readying himself if the worst came to worst.

Sunggyu bent over, his hands in his pockets nonchalantly, and whispered near B-Bomb’s ear, “Do you think Hyunjoo’s opinion of you really didn’t change after finding out that all you are is lost baggage that no one wants to claim?”

B-Bomb lifted his head from the floor, his eyes slowly changing. His hands stayed gripped around his stomach as he clawed at the sides of his upper body. It was terrifying to watch. For a moment, you really thought you’d see B-Bomb shift into his other form.

However, B-Bomb’s scrunched up face slowly relaxed as he looked back down at the ground, continuing to clutch at his stomach. You heard him take a deep breath and his shoulders slowly relaxed. All you heard were his deep breaths as he stayed in his fetal position on the ground.

Sunggyu raised an eyebrow in slight surprise, “It looks like you’re not bad at stopping the transformation from happening. Though the Wolfsbane probably helped you in that respect.” Sunggyu reached down, grabbing B-Bomb by the arm and lifting him into a standing position, “Next time though, try not to collapse.”

B-Bomb’s clouded over eyes looked on at Sunggyu in wonder.

Sunggyu let go of B-Bomb’s arm and stuck his hands back in his pockets, “Those words I said to you, they’re how you really feel about yourself aren’t they? You’ve called yourself trash in your head, haven’t you?” Sunggyu sighed and closed his eyes, “You’re not trash. You’re not unwanted. Having a different upbringing than us does not make you any of those things. Your way of thinking is what makes you trash. So get rid of it.”

B-Bomb couldn’t believe his ears, his legs giving out on him from the previous struggle with himself. Woohyun quickly went to his side, supporting him to keep him from falling down again.

“We’re not monsters. We are merely living beings fighting for our right to survive.” Sunggyu’s eyes finally opened and locked again with B-Bomb’s, “Starting now, we’ll teach you how to start fighting along with us.”

------

A/N:

You just gotta love Leader Gyu sometimes huh? :)