VIII

Springfield

A loud bang made you jump in surprise. Instinctively, the boy pulled you closer to his chest and wrapped his arms around you protectively. He held your head with his hand and entangled his fingers through your hair while his other hand rested on the small of your back. You were more surprised by his action than by the sound itself. He looked out the window without letting you out of his grasp. Your eyes were wide at the feeling you were getting. “What are you doing?” You muffled from against his shirt. He let go of you when he realized what he was doing.

He bit his lip in worry, “They’re near.”

“Who’s here? What’s going on?”

Another bang went off after another. You recognized it this time. It was the sound of a gunshot.

The boy walked quickly to the front door and opened it. You watched him from your place at the entrance of the kitchen. He growled defensively and stepped outside wearing no shoes. You walked to the front door arch cautiously and watched him once more. He stopped when he reached the middle of the road. He turned and moved his lips.

You read them and narrowed your eyes, “Shut the door? What’s wrong?” You questioned yourself.

All of a sudden, a gunshot bang went off. You crouched to the ground for dear life. When you heard nothing else, you looked up, your head shaking and your body wobbly. Your eyes widened in terror at the sight in front of you. The stranger from just before was on one knee in the middle of the road. You saw red dripping down his jeans. His blood. He was shot. In the thigh. But by who?

You stood up and stumbled outside, your head not working at the moment. When he heard you almost trip, he looked your way. He saw you and growled in anger at you not listening to him.

“What are you all planning?” A gruff voice asked from in front of the stranger. You followed the voice and met eyes with a dangerous looking boy whose bird like eyes made you want to turn running, “Why did you get your pack to distract us?”

The stranger from before spit at the ground in front of him, “Like hell I’ll tell you anything, hunter. Or should I call you by your actual title. What was it? Zico? Leader? Hyung?,” he paused to let out a laugh, “I’m pretty sure that’s what your friends yelled in urgency as I almost yanked their arms out of their sockets.”

Another gunshot rang in the air. The stranger was reduced to his knees but he held back his pained expression. He wanted to piss this hunter, Zico, off. That way, he wouldn’t pay attention to you. You wouldn’t be more involved than you already are. He was too tired to run anymore so this was the least he could do for you. He wouldn’t let himself drag you into this. Not you, who had nothing to do with it.

“Shut up!” The boy with the eagle like eyes, presumably Zico, yelled in rage, “Don’t you dare say another word or I swear I’ll pull the trigger again and send a silver bullet flying through your skull.”

The stranger laughed, though you could hear his voice falter which made you take a few more steps towards him, “I don’t think you will actually. I don’t think you’ll do anything. You’re all talk. All of you hunters are weaker than us during the waning and waxing moons and even weaker on the full moon just because of that crud you drink. You’re not going to do it. How will you when you’re trembling like that? Just say it already, you’re scared of me aren’t you? Scared I’ll tear you apart.” The stranger gritted his teeth at the last sentence threateningly.

Zico pulled the trigger again, sending a silver bullet flying through the stranger’s left shoulder. The stranger crumbled to the ground in pain. Your jaw dropped as he gripped his shoulder in pain. Without even knowing why, you let out an ear wrenching scream. Zico, startled, looked your way and finally saw you. When he laid sight on you, his eyes widened. “A girl?” He whispered.

“Go back!” The stranger yelled at you. You shook your head no but your trembling persisted as did the tears in your eyes as you clung tightly to your white pajama shirt. You struggled to keep the full on weeping back.

Zico looked between you from the bottom of your porch steps and back to the boy on the ground, fighting to keep consciousness. He gulped down as he looked back at you, whose eyes were full of worry for the stranger. For the, how he saw it, monster in disguise. He turned back to the stranger, “Is she your girlfriend?” He whispered to him.

The stranger on the ground lifted his head slowly and looked at Zico fiercely. A look that told him if he hurt her, that would be the last thing he ever did. He tsked and sighed, “I have no time for empty threats.” He turned back to you, who were too scared to go near for he still had a gun. He scanned you with his eyes and gulped down, “She’s….,” he stopped before he finished and laughed at himself for thinking such thoughts at a time like this. He looked down and mumbled, “You lucky dog. I’m letting you off the hook for now but it won’t be that way next time. So don’t let me see you again.” He holstered his gun, turned, and without another word walked down the street.

“That’s my line.” The stranger coughed up blood, his knuckles turning white from how strongly he clenched at his thighs that had been soaked with his own blood. You waited until Zico was out of sight before you quickly ran over to the stranger. He laughed at himself, “I told you to shut the door.”

Your hands wondered where they should help first. After much debate with them just flailing about everywhere, you decided to just help him up back to the house. You grabbed his arm and lifted him. He was heavy, but you somehow managed it.

As you practically dragged him, he mumbled, “I thought you were scared of me.”

“That’s right, I’m scared less right now.” He saw the way your hand was trembling as you grasped onto him. How your lips quivered. How your heartbeat grew faster by the moment.

He laughed despite the pain and snuggled closer to you as you dragged him up the stairs now. He relished in the familiar warmth. You laid him on the bench next to the front door where you finally saw the damage. You had to cover your mouth to stop yourself from gasping at the sight.

The stranger smiled gently at you, “I’m sorry.”

You lowered your hands from your mouth and gazed at him, confusion coating your eyes.

He gripped onto his shoulder, applying pressure to stop the blood flow for now, “I’m sorry you’re involved now.”

You backed away, not liking the way that sounded, “Involved?”

“Hoya!”

The stranger looked up towards the street. You stared at him for a moment before following his eyes. You froze at what you saw.

“Dongwoo, Myungsoo, Woohyun. Took you long enough. I was running for two days from them.” The stranger, Hoya, laughed ignorantly at his situation.

You locked eyes with the three of them who all recognized you immediately.

Dongwoo, ever the straight-forward personality, asked the question first, “Hey Woohyun, why does she smell like you?”

---------------------

A/N: Another new chapter to celebrate new subscribers~

Look forward to the new chapter everybody!