CV

Springfield

 

“You’re here again.”

Zico froze mid-step. He cursed beneath his breath. He hadn’t expected to be caught again. Caught just as he had the first time he had come here secretly. To your house. He turned slowly to face the woman who had called out to him as he was descending the porch steps.

He bowed slightly and didn’t say a word. This woman was different. When he first met her when he visited not long ago, he saw immediately the similarities between her and you. Your height. Your eyes. Your lips. All of it was the same. That’s when he knew that the woman who was his nurse at the hospital and you were mother and daughter. Why he hadn’t seen it before escaped him.

Yet, she was different from you. The way her eyes that were the same as yours looked at him. The way she stood now in the doorway. The feeling she gave him. It was different. All of it.

“She hasn’t come home yet.”

The woman, your mother, told him, her voice devoid of any kind of worry. He nodded in response. He had figured as much. He could tell you weren’t home. Just his luck that each time he came to see you you weren’t here. Yet, Jaehyo comes once and you’re here. To say he wasn’t jealous would be a lie.

He wasn’t supposed to see you. He knew. He didn’t care if he had to go through another argument with the big bad wolf leader Sunggyu in exchange for that.

“You care for her.”

Zico looked up, his eyes wide at her statement.

“I know you do. I know you’re not the only one who does. The problem is what you are and what my daughter is.”

Zico in a breath. She knew what he was? She knew he was a werewolf? Had you told her? That was impossible. B-bomb had mentioned to him in passing that you didn’t talk much to your mom. You had talked to B-bomb about these kinds of things and as such he saw no reason to doubt B-bomb’s information.

“She got involved in your world when she should have never met you in the first place.”

Zico let the idea entertain him. Never meeting you. Never hearing your loud cries the first time he met you as he held a gun tight in his grip. Never resenting you for choosing the side of the werewolves as opposed to staying out of it. Never watching you as you ran through the forest, his feelings a mystery to him as he felt he could run after you forever. Never holding you in his arms as he joked with you, your eyes sparkling as your red dress clung to you in a way that colored him green with envy. Never hearing your voice. Never seeing your eyes. Never knowing you.

“Screw that.”

He growled, his eyes narrowed at the very thought of it. Sure, your life was more difficult, your every action having to be taken carefully since the dangers that came with messing up were intensified more than 100 times. Sure, you would have lived a quiet, peaceful life going to Springfield High without ever meeting them and they would have been none the wiser. Sure, a normal life was what was safer, what was better.

But whose life is normal really? So your life was a bit more difficult and more dangerous than others’. So what?

“I’ll protect her.” His voice sounded resolute, as though he had never been so sure of something in his life.

“Is that why you’re here now and not with her? You’re protecting her like this? Don’t kid with me.”

The door slammed and the woman, your mom, disappeared into the house. Zico stood motionless on the steps, the same position he was in when she called out to him moments ago.

Why were his lips closed in a tight line, no response coming from them? Why were his thoughts blank, as wordless as his mouth? Why? Because what she said was right.

What was he doing here? How was he protecting you like this? While he stubbornly clung to the mayor’s promises like an ignorant newborn child. While he stubbornly continued to believe he could always keep his other side down. How was he protecting anyone like this?

 

 

 

Zico closed the front door as he entered the house. He shifted his jacket off of his shoulders and hung it on the coat rack next to the door. The walk back home seemed as though it lasted forever as he thought over things. Over what to do now. If he should continue as he is now or if he should actually take action now. They hadn’t found the necklace yet, but maybe they didn’t need to.

“Zico.”

Someone called him, causing him to stop walking towards the stairs. He had intended to go up to his room but Kyung had called after him from the entrance of the living room. Just in time too, since Zico had something he wanted to tell him now.

“P.O.”

Kyung said, not another word coming out of his mouth, as he pointed to the living room. Zico wasn’t sure what to make of it but followed Kyung into the living room anyway. P.O. was pacing back and forth in front of the fireplace. His arms crossed tightly against his chest. Then, all of a sudden, he growled in frustration and ran his fingers through his hair.  

“Sit.” Zico commanded as soon as he saw the sight. P.O. stopped walking and turned to him, his facial expression becoming sullen immediately. He made his way over to the couch and took a seat down, his leg still bounced up and down however, his anxiousness not being able to get out any other way.

Zico sat down next to P.O. and waved his hand in Kyung’s direction, getting his attention, “Get everyone. I have something to tell all of you.”

“I don’t think now is the time.” Kyung responded, further confusing Zico.

“And why not?” Zico asked, one eyebrow raised up in suspicion.

“I saw her.” P.O. murmured, making both of them focus on him once more. He leaned forward, his face in his hands, “I saw her, hyung.” He said again, his voice cracking. “I couldn’t stop it. I didn’t want to lose control again. I couldn’t stop them. He said he’d kill her if I attacked him. I couldn’t stop them. I couldn’t.” A soft tremble vibrated his body as a hushed cry escaped him.

“Saw her?” Zico asked, leaning forward in order to hear him better, “Saw who? What are you saying?”

“Her.” Kyung emphasized and sighed, his own hands now reaching up and tightening their grip through his hair, “Hyunjoo.”

 Zico felt his heart drop. He turned slowly as he heard a ringing in his ears. Kyung wasn’t looking at him. He was looking up towards the ceiling, his lips tight. “Explain.” Zico whispered, his voice causing P.O. to tense up beside him, his light whimpers as he cried got louder. Kyung didn’t answer and kept his eyes from looking straight at Zico as he now stared forward. Zico took a deep breath, his nerves tightening as he did so.

Then, he exploded, his fist slamming down onto the coffee table, “Explain dammit!”

Kyung didn’t jump, nor was he shocked by Zico’s actions. He looked at him now, his face dead pan as he revealed to Zico what he had heard from P.O. not long ago regarding what he saw, “On the way back from the lake, P.O. saw a car driving by. The mayor’s car. Inside, he saw Hyunjoo sleeping in the backseat.”

 

 

 

“Hyunjoo?” P.O. questioned as he saw the black car drive by. He had seen a figure in the back seat, slouched over sure, but he had a feeling it was someone he recognized. A certain someone. There was no mistaking it. “Hyunjoo!” He yelled after the car, his realization hitting him.

He ran as though his life depended on it after the car. All the way to the very edge of their territory, till it finally stopped on the Wolves’ Crossing, a name for a low bridge which stretched over the Springfield river. The name originated from when the town was first settled.

Packs of wolves would always cross the river at this point at the same time each day, during sunset and sunrise. It was believed that the wolves would cross when it was time to hunt during midday then return home the next morning. The townspeople then built the stone bridge to make the trip for wolves easier. Why? Because back then, the townspeople didn’t hold contempt for the animal called wolf.

Why? Because back then, half of the town was werewolves. That’s what P.O. knew, what he learned from the old man who brought him, Zico, and everyone else to Springfield ten years ago.

What was the mayor doing here? And why were you with him? The bridge had long since gone unused, the only thing beyond it was forest. The mayor got out of the car and two men got out after him, both heading to the back door of the car. The mayor continued onwards, walking around the side of the bridge. P.O. watched on from a distance, until the sight of something made him jut out from his hiding place instantly.

The sight of the two men dragging your limp body from the backseat of the car.

“What the hell are you doing?” He yelled, outraged, his blood starting to rush to his head.

The mayor turned to face him and the two men froze, unsure of what to do, both looking at each other equally confused. “Continue on.” The mayor ordered them and they did just that, dragging you further away from P.O.

“Don’t you dare move!” P.O. growled, his voice distorted as a half roar escaped his mouth. The mayor’s eyebrow inched upwards.

“What’s this? Last time I checked, you were a hunter. You’re not thinking of transforming are you?” The mayor laughed as he saw a bead of sweat fall down P.O.’s forehead, the young hunter trying his best to keep in control of himself, “I can’t exactly guarantee this girl’s safety if you go crazy on me. Neither can you.”

P.O. froze, his fingers twitching as he contained his inner urges to go tackling into the mayor. What the mayor said was right, if he transformed, he didn’t know what he would do. Right now, you were unmoving but still breathing. What if when he finally woke up from his trance, you weren’t? He couldn’t risk that. Than what could he do now?

The mayor smirked as he saw P.O.’s expression change from anger to blank. He gestured to the two men beside him, “Open it.” One of them lifted your body up by your underarms while the other approached the side of the bridge, his hand reaching out and yanking back a stone hatch P.O. wouldn’t haven noticed otherwise.

“What-“

Before P.O. could get his words out, the other man slipped your body through the hatch, into the darkness that awaited inside.

“Hyunjoo!” He yelled as he raced forward, pushing both men aside. He held onto both side of the bridge as he leaned forward, his irises contracting and dilating as he attempted to see within the darkness, his eyes darting this way and that. Still, the sight didn’t change. Darkness. All he saw was darkness.

“I wouldn't jump in if I were you. Unless you want your friends to not know where both of you went.”

 

 

 

“I should have done something. I should have shifted. I should have saved her.” P.O. shook his head, his leg extended out and kicked the coffee table hard, pushing it a few feet away. He cursed beneath his breath.

“He said it smelt like that underground place we were in before. Which means, that was another entrance to the place.” Kyung informed Zico, remaining standing at the entrance of the living room, his face passive about all of this.

Zico looked up, his lips opened to speak when he saw something behind Kyung. Or rather, someone.

“What did you just say?”

“U-Kwon.” Zico revealed. U-Kwon stumbled forward, not glancing once in Kyung’s or Zico’s direction. He stopped in front of P.O. and fell to his knees. He gripped the younger boy’s shoulders and shook him gently.

“What did Kyung just say? Is it true? Hyunjoo is down there again? With that monster in black?” Each of his questions came out more unsteadily than the last, his voice cracking as he reached his final question, “Is it true?” P.O.’s soft mumble of a cry affirmed his thoughts and he fell back onto his heels, his eyes wide. He was breaking down, his thoughts no longer processing.

“Well what are we still doing here then?” Jaehyo’s voice sounded in the silence. Zico looked away from U-Kwon to find Taeil and Jaehyo now standing by Kyung. Jaehyo looked as harsh as always however, Taeil next to him had a conflicted expression on his face.

“She was supposed to be safe with them.” U-Kwon mumbled, “We trusted that she would be safe with them. That was what we agreed on right? That they would protect her. That’s why we agreed not to seek her out. That’s why we weren’t allowed to see her. So then why?” He turned to Zico. Zico felt as though he were looking at the reflection of his inner thoughts right in front of him in the form of U-Kwon, “Why is she in danger again?”

“Because she was safer with them.” Taeil answered his question.

“Then why the hell is she down there again!” U-Kwon yelled, the house echoed at the sound. Taeil was surprised by it. Everyone was surprised by it. U-Kwon was losing it. Slowly losing himself in his rage.

“Stop.” Zico ordered him. The meaning of his command was not just to discourage his anger towards his own brethren but it had another hidden meaning.  U-Kwon bit down his anger, and looked away from Taeil, his eyes falling to the floor.

 “What did you want to tell us before?” Kyung asked, his eyes had not left Zico this entire time as he watched his reactions, waiting for the man who he looked up to as a leader and friend to come to a decision on what to do about what he had just learned.

Zico locked eyes with him, his eyes drifting to look at all of his friends around him before doing so. The funny thing to him was, what he wanted to say still hadn’t changed. Despite what he just found out, he was still sure of his next words.

“Let’s stop this. Let’s stop drinking Wolfsbane.”

No one understood him. They waited for his next words. Only then did they understand the meaning of what he was saying.

“Let’s join the werewolves.”

---------

A/N:

Have I blown your mind? If I have, mission accomplished. What's going to happen? I hope you're just as curious as I am as well as just as excited. Since the last chapter was Infinite biased, this chapter was Block B biased. Why? Well because I felt like it. Because it matched well with my mood, Block B's upcoming new album, and the plot itself. It's been awhile since we've seen them appear all together (excluding B-Bomb) so it was quite the chapter wasn't it?

 

 

These cliffhangers of mine...sometimes I amaze myself with them. 

P.S. I created a poster for this chapter due to an sudden mood to do so. It's Block B biased because this is a hunter chapter afterall~