XXIII

Springfield

You looked around curiously as you entered the living room. Would it be weird to say that it was just as you had imagined it to be? Elegant yet dark. Dark yet comfortable. Comfortable yet unnerving. Just like the very people who lived in it.

“Well don’t go saying how much you like it so quickly.” Woohyun joked as he sat down at the couch. Hoya went to start the fire while Dongwoo went upstairs. You sat down next to Woohyun. As you did, you felt as though you had been here before but that would be weird. Then, you realized that the couch, the wallpaper, the drapes, all had the same style as what you found in the hunter’s home. Turns out that even though they hate each other they have the same taste as far as house furniture went.

“Sunggyu’s not home.” Dongwoo reported as he came back down from the stairs. Apparently, this was rare because Hoya and Woohyun went dead quiet.

“Maybe went out to hunt.” Woohyun said to break the tension, “To blow off some steam.”

“Well I guess we’re stuck waiting then.” Dongwoo plopped down next to you, making you jump. He noticed your reaction and frowned, “I know we didn’t get off on the right foot and all but I can’t exactly hate you when you’ve decided to take our side.” You could tell that Dongwoo was trying hard to be friendly. To try to make you feel comfortable. You appreciated it but you didn’t want him to force himself. You were still new to this whole ‘We’re all friends’ thing too.

“Well I don’t think we have to wait for Sunggyu. Our answers won’t be any different from his.” Hoya said as he sat down at the armchair across from the couch. Dongwoo shrugged, figuring he was right on that account.

“So then, let’s start off telling you where we’ve come from.” Woohyun shifted in his seat towards you, “I came from the Alps.” You raised your eyebrow at him, thinking it was another joke. If he meant the alps as in, the Alps, then he came from, “Switzerland.” He finished your thoughts for you.

“For me, Hamburg, Germany,” Dongwoo chimed in.

“Moscow, Russia.” Hoya said.

Still everything seemed like a joke. How on earth are they from there? It didn’t make any sense. You had only heard of these places by name. Only glanced at them on a map once or twice. You weren’t sure what to think about any of this.

“Myungsoo in Bangkok, Thailand. Sungyeol in Venice, Italy. Where was Sungjong again?” Woohyun turned to ask Hoya, the name apparently on the tip of his tongue and out of his grasp.

“New York City.” Hoya answered.

“Right right,” Woohyun nodded. You bit your lip at the fact that he both mentioned someone you didn’t know and didn’t mention where Sunggyu was from. You could get no questions out as Woohyun continued, “Nine years ago, Sunggyu found Dongwoo first out of all of us.” You looked to Dongwoo on your right who had a grimace on his face. It seemed as though he was hiding something but if a terrifying werewolf hides something, well you learned just to let them do it. Woohyun didn’t even pause, “Within the next three years, he found all of us. Sunggyu found us by order of his grandfather. You see, the werewolves from Springfield have long since been extinct. Sunggyu’s grandfather was a surly old man who used to be friends with the werewolf family line who once lived here and he promised them he would help them any time they needed it. After they were killed by hunters, Sunggyu’s grandfather sent Sunggyu to look for a new pack to live here in their place. That’s where we came in.”

“He would’ve done us good if he found some females too.” Dongwoo mumbled. You glanced at him and he coughed, pretending he said nothing.

“So Sunggyu found all of you? How did he know where you were?” You asked, the topic too interesting to pass up.

“His grandfather has a lot of connections. Well had anyway, he’s long gone now.” Hoya answered simply. You didn’t know if that meant Sunggyu’s grandfather was dead or like your own father, left.

“We’ve been here for six years now. Can’t say I hate it though. I never had a house to call my own to begin with.” Dongwoo said, looking around in admiration of the place.

“Now that’s why we’re here. As for why we’re what we are,”

“Werewolves?” You interrupted Woohyun who frowned at the term.

“Yes, as to why that is. I have no idea. No one knows. It just runs in the family.” Though it wasn’t the most comforting thing to hear, at least you weren’t the only one who was confused by the situation. The werewolves themselves didn’t know why they were what they were. That was the common ground between you and them.

You paused for a moment. All information was at the tips of your fingers but some reason you had no idea what to ask. No questions came to mind. “Earlier, you said Sunggyu might’ve gone out to hunt? Hunt what?”

Dongwoo was the one who answered first, “Animals. Rabbits, maybe even foxes or birds. Sometimes it’s too overpowering, the urge to…” He stopped, his fists clenching in his lap. He looked away, not finishing his sentence.

“The urge to what?” You asked. The silence in the room was deafening. You could feel your own heart pounding against your chest. “The urge to what?” You asked again, your throat suddenly parched from anxiousness. For some reason, you already knew the answer but you wanted to hear it from them. Hear them say it.

Hoya was the one who answered, “The urge to kill.”