XXXVI

Springfield

 

Your eyes slowly drifted open. Everything was blurry and hard to focus on. Once your vision cleared, you got a good look around. You saw books lining the walls. It seemed as though you were in some kind of study room. If this were the first time you had been kidnapped, you would’ve been freaking out. However, this had to be the third or fourth time you woke up not knowing what just happened so you had learned to just adapt now to this kind of thing. “Hello?” You tried to move your hands to find you were strapped down to a chair with rope. Your legs were free but that didn’t leave you much to go on since you’d still be walking around with a chair attached to both of your wrists.

You tried to remember every detail about what happened before you passed out. Bang Minah did it, of that you were sure. She said she had to take you to a room which you figured you were in right now. But what else did she say? “Oh yeah,” you recalled out loud, “the mayor wants to see me.”

“That I do.” You heard a gruff voice say from behind you. You turned your head to the voice though could only see half of the man’s face. “Song Hyunjoo, you’ve been a busy girl this past month.”

“School has been quite tough.” You answered, despite knowing that’s not what he meant.

He laughed at your attitude, “If only my daughter had half your sense of humor.” He shook his head in disapproval, “You must have met her. My sweet little girl Minah.”

You blew air up to your bangs, “I must say, she’s sweeter than most.” You said, cringing after remembering Zico’s way of knocking you out.

The man laughed again as he trotted into your view. His face was rough and leathery looking. His features carved deep into his skin and his face looked even more ominous when light shone on it. You couldn’t imagine what persuaded people to want him as mayor. He looked like a serial killer.

“You’re prettier than most as well. Your sharp tongue has earned you quite the name in Springfield just as much as your beauty has. I was looking forward to finally seeing what you looked like and I must say the rumors did not do you justice.” Your face twitched from an older man calling you beautiful but he didn’t care and continued on, “You’re something unreachable by most other humans. As for werewolves, you’re something that shouldn’t be touched. Something that shouldn’t even be looked at. Yet they monopolize you and you let them do it.”

He sat down on the desk in front of you, “It’s a shame your beauty is wasted on those monsters. Don’t you think?”

You didn’t say anything. His words were hitting a wall with you and you didn’t agree with any of it. However, this man peaked your intrigue. He was the reason you came to the party after all.

“Humans don’t belong with werewolves. Especially the elites of our kind.” He was referring to you in that last statement. He called you an “Elite.” The word disgusted you. To think there was someone out there who believed in the perfect human. “So, you should see it by now right? Detach yourself from those beasts and place yourself higher on the food chain, where you belong. What do you say?”

You flicked your head up at him once, motioning him to come closer. He did and when he was within a foot away from you, you spit on him, “Go to hell.” You cursed. His face scrunched together, producing an even uglier face than you had previously seen.

Without even pausing to think about his actions, he grasped your jaw in one of his rough, calloused hands and squeezed before taking a whack at your face with his backhand. A small squeak came out of your mouth as his hand impacted onto your left cheek.

“Looks like we’re doing this the hard way.” He sneered. 

 

 

 

Myungsoo grabbed the shoulder of the person by the refreshment table, wheeling them around to face him. You gave him a glare as he shoved the person’s chest, “Where is Hyunjoo?” He snarled.

“Sweetheart?” Zico rose his eyebrow, “What, did you two get into a lover’s spat?”

Myungsoo’s mouth twitched in anger. He got closer to Zico, “Tell me or I’ll kill you right here. I don’t care if the whole town watches me spilt your skull open.”

Zico backed away from him, “Wait, you’re serious?” Myungsoo was surprised by the look of confusion on Zico’s face. “She’s gone?”

Myungsoo growled, “Oh and you’re about to say you had nothing to do with it huh?” He grabbed Zico’s collar. Zico shoved him away using all of his strength. After all, a rage filled werewolf’s grip was harder to get out than a calm werewolf’s grip was.

“That’s right. I didn’t. But whoever did is…” Zico paused. He thought over his next words. He was actually about to say he was going to beat up the person who took you. But why should he care? You were with the werewolves now. He knew none of his friends took you, he kept his watch on them to make sure nothing out of line happened. That meant that…, “Whatever man. I’m telling you I didn’t do it so back off. I’d rather talk to some girls than have to have you in my face like this. Take it up with the mayor if something happened.” He dismissed as he snarled and walked away. He glanced back at Myungsoo, who was on the edge of realizing what he had.

Once Zico had seen the look of an epiphany on Myungsoo’s face, he smirked. “That’s right werewolf boy. Go save your human.” He merged into the crowd to find U-Kwon, who he knew must have been having some kind of fun. Anything to stop him from going after you himself.

 

 

 

You blinked a few times, not believing that you had gotten smacked by someone other than your parents. Your cheek stung from the pain. You felt helpless. Alone. The mayor had left you by yourself to so called “Think about your choice again.” There was nothing to think about. You had already chosen sides. You were with the werewolves. It didn’t matter who asked whether it be the hunters or this weird group of humans who called themselves the “elites.” You were going to side with the werewolves. However, that made your modes of escape limited.

You looked back up from your knees with new determination. You looked around, spotting a glass door. From the sight, you must’ve been on the second floor. You didn’t know why you hadn’t noticed it earlier.

You willed your asleep legs to stand. It was awkward standing with the chair attached to you but you managed. You waddled over to the door, finding that it led to a balcony. You attempted to open it as you stood up, the chair attached to you, but it seemed locked shut. A keyhole was on the doorknob and you knew the mayor must’ve known you weren’t one to just sit around and wait. You heard the booming of loud music from downstairs and figured now was as best a time as any to make some noise.

You lifted your leg and kicked the glass out of the door multiple times and soon enough, you had broken the glass wide enough for you to go through it. You hopped outside, chair still attached to you, the fresh air was kind on your throat and face. You looked below to find everyone dancing and talking below the lights that hung from the high trees.

You in a breath of air, figuring things could only get better from your position at the moment, “Sunggyu!” You yelled at the top of your lungs. Not a soul looked up to where you were, “Sungjong!” You yelled again. No one still. You scowled and muttered beneath your breath, “Yeah sure. Don’t mind me. Just stuck to a chair on the second floor, trapped by some OCD, , elitist freak.”

You heard a rustle of leaves and looked to your right where a tree hung over the balcony. You flinched when someone walked out of it. You couldn’t tell who it was at first but as they got closer, you knew you would recognize that frame anywhere.

“Woohyun.” You breathed a sigh of relief, “Finally someone hears me.” He walked over slowly and looked down at you with a worried expression. His fingertips burned as soon as he tried to touch the ropes restraining you. He growled and quickly retracted his hands.

“Wolfsbane.” He murmured in annoyance before shaking his head. You remembered what B-Bomb had told you. That Wolfsbane was a poison to the werewolves. It had just burned Woohyun’s hands at the slightest touch yet that didn’t stop him. He grabbed hold of the rope and ripped them from your wrists. You heard the sound of ripping thread and burning flesh as he did so.

“You alright?” You asked him as you went for his hands. He had moved too quickly for you to tell him not to touch the rope and you regretted not telling him to stop sooner. You let out another sigh and rubbed your sore wrists, “Thanks for-”

You were cut off as he suddenly hugged you. You swore your heartbeat froze for a second. All you could feel was his body against yours. You were still sitting down so you were slightly confused by the action. You felt something warm slither onto your neck. You flinched at the touch and your nerves felt like they were on fire. Before you could ask what he was doing, you heard him speak, “They drugged you. A shot to the back of your neck, directly into the nervous system.” He let go of you and helped you stand up, “We shouldn’t have brought you to this party.” He suddenly got angry, something that stunned you. You blinked a few times as he paced around. He looked at your face again and his eyes widened, “Did he hit you?”

Your hands reflexively went to your face, “Ah, yeah.”

He cursed outwardly at the fact that he couldn’t do anything about it. “Well, are you satisfied?” He took out his anger on you, “Are you happy you came here with us?”

You got a smile on your face despite his displeasure, “Well this is the highlight of my night.”

He looked back at you and breathed out in disbelief. He ruffled at his gelled back hair, making it spike up in the back, “What am I going to do with you?” He directed to no one in particular. “Come on,” he motioned you to hold onto him. You grabbed onto his arm and he lifted you up before tossing you over the railings. You landed into a pair of familiar arms.

When the person let you down, you smiled, “Sunggyu.” You revealed.

“We should go.” He said to both you and Woohyun. Woohyun jumped down, landing on all fours with no trouble. You wondered if he wasn’t a cat instead of a werewolf. He readjusted himself and nodded at Sunggyu’s words.

“I’ll get the others.” Woohyun left you and Sunggyu alone.

Sunggyu turned to you, a serious expression on his face, “Did the mayor show you something? A trinket of some kind?”

You rose an eyebrow, “A trinket?”

He looked down and shook his head, “Nevermind. It’s good you’re safe. Let’s go.” He led you away without another word. 

---------------

A/N:

I woke up late today so the chapter is a bit late as well.

In response to the comments, thank you so much for the praise! I only write the best I can so that kind of praise makes me want to write even better for you guys. 

As for this chapter, I, in no way, want you to like the mayor. Hate him to your heart's content :P

Don't forget to comment below!