XXXV

Springfield

"Oh look here. It's the werewolf I almost killed some time ago." Kyung approached closer to Sungjong and raised an eyebrow, edging him on. "Are you going to run off with your tail between your legs again?"

Sungjong pushed him harshly away, "I didn't run then and I won't now. Back off or else." Sungjong threatened as he pushed you to stand behind him.

Kyung scoffed, "Or else what?"

Sungjong took a step forward and sized him up, "I may not be as strong as Sunggyu but I am strong enough to snap your neck in two."

At that, Kyung went quiet. They stared at each other, silently sending daggers through each other’s body. Judging each other to see if the other was bluffing or not. After a moment, Kyung gave in, "I don't think we properly greeted each other. What was it again? Sungjong?" He smirked as he glanced back at you and saw the angered look on your face. Sungjong's tenseness was his answer. "I'm Kyung. It'll be entertaining the next time we meet." He bowed sarcastically and over extravagantly before leaving.

Sungjong looked at the place Kyung disappeared to with disdain. He disliked that the hunters were still all over you despite saying they wanted nothing to do with you. If they truly didn’t’ want to see you again then they shouldn’t be approaching you openly like they were. Thoughts of how just a moment ago Sunggyu gathered everyone together and told them that three hunters were talking to you sent his nerves on fire. He may have not been the type to fight easily but when it came to you he found it easy to do. He felt a kind of possessiveness towards you that he didn’t know if he liked or not.

You gripped onto Sungjong's jacket sleeve after seeing the unexplainable look on his face. He looked back at you and his sour expression subsided. "Well," he started as he wrapped your arm through his, "Shall we mingle with some people who don't want to put bullets in our heads?" You managed a healthy laugh since you felt the same way before both of you entered the crowd once more.

 

 

 

“Sungjong, where are your friends?” Another girl asked him. Multiple girls had come up to him asking him where the other werewolves were and each time he would answer the same way.

“Try the refreshment table.”

The thought that around fifteen or so girls were all waiting by the refreshment table for boys that wouldn’t show up put a smile on your face. Sungjong noticed your amusement and couldn’t help but continue to answer each girl the same way; just to see your expression.

As the girl left, you looked up at him, “Why are they all looking for Sunggyu and Dongwoo?” It was true. Most of the girls that approached asked about them. Around eight out of the fifteen asked for them. Two asked for Sungyeol and two others asked for Woohyun. One for Myungsoo and two for Hoya. It amazed you that not one approached to talk to Sungjong.

Sungjong looked at you and gave you a look that seemed to say ‘it doesn’t bother me.’ “Well, humans have a period of time where their hormone production increases right?”

You all of a sudden weren’t sure if you wanted to talk about this with a boy who was one year younger than you. If he was talking about hormones then he was talking about drive. You only nodded for want of not saying something completely embarrassing about the topic; such as the birds and the bees story.

“Well,” he continued, not picking up on your attitude towards the topic, “For some reason, once werewolves reach the age of nineteen, the way humans react towards them intensifies. You could say we become particularly attractive. I’ve heard that we become more irresistible with age. The only old werewolf I’ve met was Sunggyu’s grandfather however.  But, that’s how he explained to me why the women, young and old, couldn’t keep their eyes off of his sixty year old body.” You got chills thinking about what being attracted to a sixty year old would be like. “I just turned sixteen so I’m not that appealing quite yet.”

You nodded in understanding, “So it’s just a werewolf thing then?” He nodded back but then he got a frown on his face.

“Wait, you agree I’m not appealing?”

Your eyes widened and you turned towards him, “I didn’t say that!”

His frown became deeper and he feigned a let down look, “You basically did.”

“You’re super attractive! Really!” You defended.

He got a sly smile on his face, content at your quick denial. You became aware of your words and got flustered at his actions. You hid your face by looking away from him. Sungjong was definitely the clever one out of the werewolf pack. He used his childish looks to guilt trip people. You reminded yourself to be more careful from now on not to get tricked again.

You looked around where the two of you were now. That’s when you locked eyes with someone you wish you hadn’t. Bang Minah. She hadn’t bothered you for a while but there was no doubt in your mind that this latest stunt of yours, coming to the party with her precious Myungsoo, wasn’t to her liking. She approached with two of her friends. You unhooked your arm from Sungjong. “Could you go get Myungsoo for me?” You asked him without looking away from Minah.

Sungjong eyed you but from the look on your face he could tell you were serious. He did as you said and soon he disappeared from view. Minah was right in front of you now. “Hyunjoo, I didn’t know you were coming.” She smiled widely but you knew you shouldn’t fall for it. All the death stares during homeroom from her told you that much. She hated the fact that Myungsoo even breathed the same air as you and that was excuse enough for her to turn her friends against you.

“It was a last minute decision.” Your eyes wandered around, hoping that Myungsoo would show up. If he did, Minah would not bare her fangs. No girl wants to look like Jack the Ripper in front of the boy she likes.

One of her friends looked you up and down with judging eyes, “Doesn’t look like it was. How long have you been preparing really?” You held back your anger. After all, she had just complimented you.

“Listen, I don’t have time for this.” You sighed. You had received enough threats for tonight and you didn’t want to receive any more.

Minah put on a regretful face, “Oh, I’m sorry for keeping you. You must want to get back to Myungsoo-Oppa.” You cringed at that since Myungsoo wasn’t exactly that welcome of you lately and it was quite the sore spot for you. Especially when you were getting along with everyone else now.

“Something like that.” You muttered.

“Well, I’ll see you later.” Minah opened her arms for a hug. You were skeptical but gave in anyway. As she hugged you she said, “You know, the mayor was looking for you.”

“What-“ Before you could finish your sentence, you felt a small prick on the back of your neck. You wanted to shout out in pain but before you could you felt your knees get weak and your eyes grow tired. Minah pulled away from you and you doubled over as your support left you. She caught you and all you could see were blurry figures.

“Oh no, we should get her inside.” Was the last thing you heard come from Minah’s blurred out mouth before you passed out.

 

 

 

Myungsoo walked through the crowd with furrowed eyebrows. He was talking with Woohyun when suddenly Sungjong called him to go see you. When he tried to look through the crowd, to smell where you were, he couldn’t. There were too many people and everything blended together. He narrowed his eyes as he looked around. “Where is she?” He questioned out loud.

He became annoyed that he was interrupted for no reason and focused harder on your voice. Luckily, he found it. It was soft and made his breath sharper despite his strong will to resist to it. He followed it in the crowd and soon was able to smell you, though it was faint. That’s when it stopped. He couldn’t hear the low hum of your vocal cords anymore. He stopped in place and looked around. Your scent was also farther away now. He couldn’t tell where you were anymore. It was as if you had disappeared.

“Hyunjoo?” He called out your name for the first time, hoping you would answer back. He got nothing back but the attention of people around him. He clenched his fist and looked around once more. That’s when he spotted someone that made his blood boil. He stomped over, his mind blank but his insides screaming at him to take action and fast. 

-------------

A/N:

I'm posting this quickly before my internet bugs out on me and goes away again (the reason this chapter was a whole two hours late). I will answer any comments in my next update~ 

Sorry guys :(

Don't forget to comment on what you think below!