LXXXVI

Springfield

 

“You can’t be here.”

“Well I am.”

“Well then leave.”

“Do you really want me to?”

You were about to say yes when your voice caught in your throat.

“I didn’t think so. You know, you’re easier to read than you think.”

You crossed your arms against your chest, “Trust me, I know more than anyone that I’m practically an open book.” There was really no denying that simple fact. “So you must know what I’m thinking right about now.”

“Something like, “Jaehyo, who almost tried to stab me with a plastic knife the first time he had the chance, came to see me? I must be going crazy.”"

He was absolutely right. Well, except for one small detail. “Not “almost tried to stab me” but “tried to stab me.”” You corrected him.

The look on his face now was one you had been seeing a lot recently. Amusement. He was thoroughly amused. This did not help calm your frustration at his sudden appearance in the least. In fact, seeing him so smug at the bottom of your porch when Sunggyu most definitely told the hunters not to go looking for you had pushed your frustration to the edge of the high cliff that was your sanity.

“You’re about to yell at me.”

Your arms fell from your chest slowly and your mouth went agape.

“I wouldn’t say you’re an open book. More like a walking billboard.”

You decided to ignore his comment and leaned against the frame of the doorway. "Did something happen? Why did you come here?"

Jaehyo looked as though he had just now remembered that he had come for a reason. "I came to tell you to call me anytime. I know that you and B-Bomb would talk often when you were with the werewolves. Now that your past contact has switched sides, I figured you needed some way to contact the hunters without having Zico rain down fury on anyone."

He was right. If something happened to B-Bomb then you had no one to contact within the hunters. Zico surely wouldn't answer your calls. Kyung, being so loyal to Zico, would do the same. Calling P.O., Taeil, or U-Kwon would make you miss them too much. That only left Jaehyo. Still, this was all a bit odd.

You raised your eyebrow in slight suspicion. He was being nice. Unreasonably nice. He had warmed up to you a bit, you knew that much, but you also knew he hadn't warmed up to you enough to be this nice. He could have just told you this over the phone. Why come see you face to face?

"You’re thinking I could have just told you that over the phone right?" You cursed inwardly, wondering who in the world taught him to be this clever. You thought about it more and inwardly laughed. He was definitely born that way.

Jaehyo decided to ignore the creeping smile on you face and continued, "Truthfully, U-Kwon, P.O., and Taeil have been talking about you nonstop. I swear my ears are about to fall off. This way, I can tell them you look fine and well so that they'll stop whining.”

You couldn't imagine the three, P.O., Taeil, and U-Kwon, complaining to Jaehyo. He most definitely was over exaggerating. He was the type to get easily annoyed after all, something you found to be somewhat funny to watch.

Jaehyo casually put his hands into his pockets. Seeing the smile on your face come to full fruition made him, as unbelievable as he thought it would, glad that he came.  "And, I wanted to see you too.” The words flew from his mouth before he could comprehend them.

Your smile slowly faded, your lips slightly parted from surprise at his words. Was he actually saying he wanted to see you? Not only that but without a sarcastic remark or a smirk or an ‘I’m kidding’ following it?

Jaehyo shook off his own shock from his confession and cleaned up the little mess he made lest he suffer further embarrassment, “You handled P.O.’s transformation better than I thought you would. I want to say thank you for accepting him. Accepting us, despite us keeping everything from you.”

Your surprise faded as it was instead replaced with a small smile. Jaehyo actually did have a decent bone in his body.

“I am a good guy. I promise, next time, I won’t try to “almost” stab you.”

“Hopefully, there won’t be a next time.” You quipped back.

His lips quirked up and for a moment you expected to see a smile. Instead, a sound was produced. You froze, surprised by him for the umpteenth time today.

You just couldn’t believe it. He laughed. For the second time. Jaehyo actually laughed at your joke. The world must be coming to an end.

 

 

 

B-Bomb yawned wildly as he followed behind Sunggyu. Today was supposedly the first day he would officially start learning how to control his transformations. That was what Sunggyu had told him when he came into Myungsoo’s room this morning. Myungsoo remained unmoving as Sunggyu explained to him what he intended to do, effectively living up to his straightforward claim about being a heavy sleeper.

“Like I said earlier,” Sunggyu started, finally reaching his destination which was the kitchen, “starting today, no more Wolfsbane.”

The very suggestion of such a thing was not something B-Bomb found to be a good idea. Would he still be able to control himself? Or would the feeling of fire pulsing once more take over him as it did in the past? The thought brought flashes of his childhood to the forefront of his mind. He shook it away as he took a place beside Sunggyu at the kitchen island.

Sungjong entered the kitchen now, giving the two a slight nod in greeting upon seeing them engaged in conversation. He mused his already ruffled hairstyle from just having gotten out of bed. He had gotten used to B-Bomb, seeing no reason to dislike the hunter. He was actually courteous and didn’t say much which meant Sungjong couldn’t nitpick on the things he said either. Myungsoo seemed to like him by now though, a surprising thing really. Myungsoo had started to loosen up again, like how he used to be, instead of being his current detached self due to B-Bomb’s sudden presence. So, Sungjong welcomed the hunter.

“How long have you been on Wolfsbane? A year?” Sunggyu asked after giving a glance to Sungjong, signaling to him he did indeed see him enter.

“5 years.” B-Bomb answered honestly.

Sungjong’s hand froze at the handle for the door of the fridge. His head whipped around as he stared at the hunter in disbelief. He wanted to question what he had just heard but fought against it. He forced himself to ignore it and proceeded to do what he had came into the kitchen to do, grab a cup of water.

Sunggyu was equally shocked. Five years was a long time. Much longer than he anticipated. If it had been a year, he could have dealt with that. But that was his limit. He expected B-Bomb to say an answer that was less than 10 months. He became unsure of himself for a moment only to remind himself that B-Bomb came to him for help. This alliance, no matter how short, was important to establish. He didn’t like unnecessary fights and the war he had had to lead against the hunters was just that. Unnecessary and avoidable.

“We’ll start getting you off of it from now on.” Sunggyu assured B-Bomb. Whether it were five years or five hours, Sunggyu’s initial plan did not change. “Two weeks. That’s how much time it’ll take me to get you off of it.” He spoke about Wolfsbane as though it were some sort of drug and in truth, to the werewolves, it was.

B-Bomb couldn’t believe his ears. Two weeks? Two weeks to stop taking something he had been taking for five years of his life? It didn’t seem possible. As he met eyes with Sunggyu, he could see the determination in them. It was odd. The differences between Sunggyu and Zico were numerous. However, both leaders had the ability to convince him into following them.

Sunggyu silently pulled an object from underneath the sink in the cabinet. It was a large glass container filled with a brown liquid that closely resemebled tea. B-Bomb knew what it was though. It was the farthest from what it appeared.

Sunggyu grabbed a clean cup from behind him and placed it on the table. He poured the liquid with caution, his facial features clenching as he saw the liquid slowly take the form of the glass. Once the glass was half full, Sunggyu stopped and capped shut the glass container.

The amount was less than B-Bomb was used to. Often, at times, he would drink five full cups a day. He gulped, wondering how this would be able to last him the whole day.

“Drink up.” Sunggyu told him, gesturing him to do so.

B-Bomb picked up the glass and downed it in one shot, the Wolfsbane causing his throat to tremble slightly, his body already used to the burning sensation.

Sungjong’s mouth fell open as he stared, awestruck at what he just witnessed. He closed the fridge and shuffled out of the kitchen. Dongwoo flipped through a magazine as he lounged back, his feet propped onto the lengthy couch. Sungjong stopped in front of him, causing Dongwoo to look up at him, his eyes half-lidded from waking up moments ago. “Something wrong?” He asked, oblivious to the enthralled expression on Sungjong’s face.

Sungjong shook his head and walked to the middle of the couch, promptly lifting Dongwoo’s legs and throwing them onto the floor. Dongwoo winced and was about to question Sungjong when he found the younger boy twiddling with the ends of a pillowcase.

Sungjong shivered, not being able to comprehend what he just saw. Like he had nerves of steel, B-Bomb drank the cup of Wolfsbane without flinching. Five years.

For five years he had to do such a thing. “It’s inhumane.”

Dongwoo furrowed his eyebrows, his lips forming a tight frown as he put down the magazine in his hands and ruffled Sungjong’s hair once.

 

 

 

B-Bomb startled awake, his body sweating buckets. It wasn’t even hot. His skin felt like it was melting off by the second and he couldn’t seem to fall asleep. He wanted it. Needed it. Wolfsbane. He shook his head no and rubbed his face with his hands. He looked to his left, being able to see Myungsoo’s form as he lay in bed.

“Myungsoo. Myungsoo.” He called out into the darkness. Hitting the foot of Myungsoo’s bed with his open palm. Myungsoo made no attempts to move, causing B-Bomb to have to grip onto the headboard of Myungsoo’s bed and shake it violently.

Myungsoo stirred awake. His head groggy as his body shifted up and down.

“Myungsoo.”

Myungsoo mumbled incoherently and flipped onto his back, one arm over his face.

“I have a question.”

Myungsoo groaned and shifted his eyes to the left, squinting his eyes to read the clock on his nightstand. He groaned upon realizing what it said. “It’s three o’clock in the morning.” He stated, his tone dipped in irritation.

B-Bomb ignored Myungsoo’s statement, “It’s important, so listen.”

“It’s. Three. In. The. Morning.” Myungsoo gritted his teeth, each word coming out with equal ferocity. He let his eyes slowly drift closed. He was a heavy sleeper and found that going back to sleep after being rudely awakened was no problem.

“This burning sensation, does this always happen? Do you experience it? The pain in the pit of your stomach as you feel like peeling your own skin off? The feeling of all of your nerves being on fire to the point where every little thing that touches you makes you irritated?”

Silence was B-Bomb’s answer.

“Myungsoo?” He questioned the darkness but again there was only peaceful silence in return. “Are you asleep?” B-Bomb heard soft breathing from his left and sighed.

“You really weren’t exaggerating when you said you were a heavy sleeper.” B-Bomb recounted how earlier that night, Myungsoo had tossed and turned in bed. Not waking up in the least even when B-Bomb had the lights to find out where all the ruffling noises were coming from. B-Bomb sighed again and laid back down on the couch, finding sleep quicker than he thought he would.

Myungsoo’s eyes fluttered open slowly in the darkness. B-Bomb’s relaxed and steady breathing signaled he had fallen fast asleep. He buried his face into his pillow and groaned softly.

 

 

 

The next morning, while getting milk out of the fridge, Myungsoo found B-Bomb there already, staring at the glass in front of him which was one third of the way filled with Wolfsbane flavored water. The amount was less this time which caused B-Bomb to look at his future in a rather pessimistic fashion. Would he only have a few drops tomorrow? He already couldn’t stand the cold sweats from last night.

Myungsoo poured milk into a cup and leaned onto the counter, his lips only skimming the cup before he pulled his mouth away.

“I’m not good with words.”  

B-Bomb turned his head slight right, his eyes looking at Myungsoo from his peripheral.

“The feeling you’re having. We all know it. Instead of fighting it and losing, you should try to figure out why it’s winning against you in the first place.”

B-Bomb seemed surprised and Myungsoo coughed before he slightly nodded goodbye and left the kitchen. B-Bomb looked back down at the cup in front of him. “Find out why its winning against me?” B-Bomb let out one, short laugh, “And you said you weren’t good with words.”

----------

A/N:

Was it who you thought it was? If so, congratulations (I saw someone with the right answer out there.)

Looks like B-Bomb and Myungsoo are actually becoming friends. Shocking? Who knew Myungsoo was so nice~