CII

Springfield

 

How foolish of you to smile like an idiot. This was Myungsoo. Not Woohyun or Dongwoo. Smiling like this in front of him only made him even more unreceptive to you. He wasn’t saying anything now, simply staring off into the distance, away from you. The end of his fringe stuck to his face, wet at the ends with what seemed like his own sweat. Dirt smudged his checks and under his right eye was a streak of red, his own blood. His wound had healed but he hadn't yet cleaned it up. His black v-neck shirt was covered with dust, covering up the shade that was his favorite color. His lips where cracked, a pale pink color. He looked like a healthy man covered with the dirty problems that were his situation.

Despite your initial reactions being completely and utterly embarrassing, you knew that he wouldn't be the one to speak first. "Are you okay?" You asked as you got up into a sitting position. Your legs were still asleep, causing your eyes to squint together from the numbing pain.

You heard him sigh from beside you, a slight pause followed before he spoke up, "You're asking me if I'm okay?" He shifted in his position, moving up into a standing position. You watched him with wide eyes, wondering what he was going to say now, the feeling he gave you told you he would speak again. To your expectations, he did, "Exactly what did you do to get down here?"

You slowly sat up, making yourself more comfortable, not quite sure you would be able to stand up right now. "Last time I remember, I was at a cafe with your girlfriend."

He caught onto your words immediately, "Minah's not my girlfriend." He turned his back towards you, though you could tell he was irritated with you. Annoying him was not the best thing to do now that the two of you were once more down here in this maze.

"I was kidding." You told him, your voice hushed. You knew he would hear you and there was no doubt in your mind of this fact. Yet, he remained passive and silent, his back still turned towards you. His silence was something you were used to but his silence now when it was just the two of you meant you couldn't simply walk away from the situation. You called out to him, "Myungsoo?"

He didn't answer immediately but when he did, another sigh came out of his mouth, "You said you liked it better when I didn't talk."

Your jaw fell open slightly. Was he holding a grudge towards you for saying that back then? Really? Myungsoo could hold grudges over such a small thing? Then again, now that you thought about it, he could. "I was joking."

"You seem to do that alot, don't you?"

Your attempt to placate him backfired. The corner of your lips twitched as you held back the urge to snap at him.  You gritted your teeth once, wishing he would turn around so that you could speak to him face to face. Reading him wasn't something you could do but you at least didn't want him to continue giving you the cold shoulder.

Your retorts disappeared within an instant as he turned to face you suddenly. He said nothing as he stared at you, locking eyes with you the same way he had the day you thanked him in the classroom for taking care of B-bomb.

You were lost as you stared back at him, no longer were you frustrated with him. No longer could you find any words to say to him. This meant the conversation went dead once more due to his refusal to talk. A small light bulb clicked on in your head.

"Well since you won't talk, let's play a game." You crossed your legs in front of you, a plan in your mind. His bored stare told you he was listening, albeit without enthusiasm, "The first person who talks loses. Starting now." You immediately zipped your lips shut, no noise escaping you.

His eyebrow quirked upwards at your absurd proposition. Especially to him of all people. This kind of playful attitude was not something you took up with him and he disliked it. Disliked you giving him the joking attitude you gave everyone else. "Of all times to play a game, you choose now?"

Your lips curved upwards as you finally stood up from your sitting position, "You lose." You chanted as you dusted off your jeans. His hands slipped from his pockets as he realized what he had just done. "Since I won, I have a request." His eyes widened. You hadn't said the winner gets to make a request but the point of this game was simple to figure out. "Don't ignore me when I talk. That's it."

Myungsoo didn't understand the request. He always listened to you. Not once had he ignored you. Ignoring and not responding are two different things. If that was your request, he had no problem fulfilling it. Then again, why did he need to follow the rules to your game in the first place? His dismissed his thoughts and nodded to you, a sign he was agreeing to your conditions.

 

 

 

Myungsoo walked down the hallway, his footsteps echoed by your own. He could feel you staring at him from behind, wondering if you should say something. "What is it?" He asked without turning towards you. He heard a light breath of relief come out of your mouth due to him speaking first.

"How did you get here? What did the mayor do to you?" Your curiosity was gnawing at you to know. Had the mayor shot him as B-bomb and you thought? Though you wanted to know if you two were right, there was something you were even more curious about. "Why did you call me?" You stared at his back, waiting for his answer as you felt high expectations rising up inside of you.

Myungsoo stopped in his tracks and turned, "I pressed redial and ended up getting you." He explained simply, curtly separating himself from the idea of purposely calling you. Your expectations took a nose dive and crashed immediately. What were you expecting anyway?

"As for your other question,” He continued, “I was shot. B-bomb probably guessed that and you've been staring down at the tear in my jeans since we started walking so you probably guessed that too."

You nodded, staying quiet as you started to walk again. Since you two played the quiet game, or rather since you forced the quiet game on him, and he promised not to ignore you, the two of you set about finding a way out of the Containment Zone. You told him the name of this place and he seemed startled you knew such a thing but his shocked expression disappeared within an instant behind his cool and collected façade.

“You were drugged again.”

He said suddenly, causing you to raise your head to look at him. He had turned around, his lips tightened into a scowl. He looked annoyed. Angry even. 

“How many times are you going to let Minah trick you?”

You had figured that’s what it was. The way Minah acted when she came back with your drink was suspicious but you had written it off as her being embarrassed. She probably put something in your drink while she was getting it. No, she definitely did. Why else would you now be stuck down here with the man of her dreams?

“Well this time it looks like she got the end of the stick, doesn’t it? Seeing as how I’m stuck down here with you and she’s wondering where you are up there.” You pointed up towards the ceiling, matching his sharp tongued words with your own.

He didn’t respond. He simply continued to stare at you blankly. No, not blankly. As though he was thinking about something. Something you didn’t understand. Then, he looked away. He diverted his eyes from yours and your chest heaved a breath you didn’t know you had been holding.

“Let’s keep moving.”

He changed the subject. Why? Did he not want to talk about Minah? The look he gave you left you wondering what he was thinking about. Now that you thought about it though, this was hands down the longest period of time the two of you spent together without arguing with each other. Why ask for more?

Why?

The answer popped into your head without warning.

Because you wanted to know if black really was his favorite color as you guessed. You wanted to know about his life before he met Sunggyu. You wanted to know what really went on in his head when he looked at you with a cloud of emotion you couldn’t understand shading his eyes.

 

 

Myungsoo stopped walking suddenly, leaning his back onto the wall of the hallway and sliding down into a sitting position. You didn’t understand why he stopped, “Are you tired?” To be honest, you were dead tired. Up and down, right and left, everything here looked like the same place. It was mentally exhausting.

“No.” He answered without hesitation, his face turned away from you once more. You were about to sit next to him but second-guessed yourself. Instead, you positioned yourself on the other wall of the hallway, facing him, before sitting down. You shut your eyes and took a deep breath, thinking about taking a quick rest.

When you opened them again, you weren’t sure how long you had been out for. Your body was slouched over, a jacket laid out on your legs. You furrowed your eyebrows before looking up. Myungsoo was looking at you again. He seemed to have been doing it since you woke up, or was he watching you sleep this entire time? Of course not, that was illogical to assume.

He reached forward without a word and pulled the jacket from your lap. As you watched the jacket slide from your body, you had the sense of déjà vu. You had had this happen before. Your body had been tired during that time as well. A jacket was laid out on top of your body, keeping the cold air from hitting your skin.

“When was the first time we met?”

The words came out before you could process them. Myungsoo seemed unfazed by your question and instead put all of his attention on slipping his jacket back on. Another question popped into your head.

“Why are you taking care of me?”

He stopped despite not being tired, he laid his jacket out on your legs while you slept, surely it didn’t just float off of his back and onto your legs. Even while you two walked together, he refused to let you take the lead. Not only that but he was listening to you and had not even attempted to start an argument.

“We met during the first week of school.” He answered your first question as he stood up. He looked down at you from his standing position now, “I’m taking care of you because my friends care about you. Why else?” 

--------

A/N:

And so the Myungsoo and Hyunjoo chapters begin! As well as the weekly updates! I was super excited to write about him, its felt like too long hasn't it? Finally more Myungsoo scenes! Are you looking forward to the next chapter? I am! 

Also, Block B is coming back. At long last. The 17th should come faster!

 

 

 

Currently basking in all the love you guys give me.

Thank you!