XLVI

Springfield

 

You stared out of your bedroom window one early morning and sighed. A while had passed since Sungyeol had shifted into a wolf in front of you. You were nearing your third month here in Springfield. It was getting colder outside as well though that was not the reason you were getting goose bumps. You were getting goose bumps as you thought about the full moon that was supposed to happen in two days. 

When Sungyeol shifted in front of everyone, Zico surprisingly kept his side of the bargain. He let the two of you walk out without a fight; that is after giving Sungyeol an extra change of clothes to wear. When the two of you got back to Sungyeol’s house however, Sunggyu did not take well to the story of what happened.

First, he was angry because you and Sungyeol had broken the promise. Second, he was angry because of the reason you two broke the promise. Third, he was angry that Zico held you at gunpoint and almost killed the two of you. So yeah, Sunggyu was one big fur ball of anger since then. He took the wolves out every day to hunt, all in preparation for the full moon. Because of that, you rarely saw them at school anymore. Minah seemed to have Myungsoo meeting her often but other than that you hadn’t really heard news about their whereabouts.

It had been around a week since Dongwoo called you. When he did he only said, “Just making sure you’re still alive,” in a joking tone before hanging up. You understood that phone call though as him telling you they were still alive.

On the other hand, you hadn’t heard any word from the hunters at all. It was if they didn’t even exist. As if everything you were going through was just one big dream.

A weary wolf’s howl echoed through the wide forest as you looked out of your window.

This was definitely no dream.

You phone buzzed on your bed, signaling your alarm that you had woken up before anyway. You breathed in as you prepped yourself for another day of school. However, you were interrupted when the doorbell rang. You scrunched up your eyebrows and peaked out of your door, wondering who it was.

 

 

 

“How are you feeling?”

“Better.” B-Bomb mumbled as he took another sip of water. He pinched the bridge of his nose as the liquid burned his dry throat. Before the person in front of him could walk off, he called out to them, “Hey Zico.”

Zico stopped and turned to B-Bomb.

“Why’d you do it?” B-Bomb asked lowly. Zico blinked a few times as if playing dumb which made B-Bomb reiterate himself, “Why’d you make the werewolf turn in front of us? I’ve heard howls in the distance and I can tell that the werewolves aren’t happy about it.”

Zico raised an eyebrow, “Weren’t you as curious as I was if he was the one who attacked us?” B-Bomb went wide-eyed, just now realizing the reason Zico’s rash actions. “All better now?” Zico smirked slightly as he turned to go.

Yet, B-Bomb stopped him again, “And in order to achieve your goals you would’ve killed Hyunjoo? Is the secret of what you do at night really that important?”

Zico didn’t say anything. He pretended he didn’t hear and continued to walk towards the kitchen.

“Zico!” B-Bomb called.

“The full moon is in two days. We’re the only ones not getting ready. We should join Kyung and the rest of them in the woods today.” Zico said, as if it was a command rather than a suggestion, before he left the room.

B-Bomb ran his hand through his hair and grimaced. He didn’t like how things were looking.

 

 

 

You blinked in surprise, your mouth open in shock at the person who stood on your doorstep. “Tiffany?” Your voice stuttered out of your throat as you stared wide-eyed at the brown haired beauty. She gave you her killer smile and laughed lightly.

“Good morning. I hope I’m not bothering you or anything. I got your address by asking around.”  She laughed in embarrassment.

You quickly shook your head no. You felt awkward due to being slightly underdressed in just jeans and a black turtleneck. “Come in.” You gestured for her to enter your house. She bowed as she stepped inside. She took off her heels and walked into the kitchen.

“It really has a nice feeling. Quainter than the mayor’s glamorous kitchen.” Tiffany praised as she ran her fingers across the surface of the wooden breakfast table.

“Thanks,” you squinted, not sure if that was a good thing, “I guess.” You looked at the clock on the stove timer and frowned. You had to leave in ten minutes to make it to school without having to “borrow” the car again. Technically your mom never told you you could use it again.

Tiffany smiled, “Don’t worry, I won’t be here long. I just came to see how you’ve been doing.” She set down her heels and pulled out a seat at the breakfast table. “Sit.” She patted the table gently.

You bit your lip in worry as you glanced at the clock, though did as she said anyway. At least you were dressed already, so all you had to do was put on your shoes before leaving.

“So how have you been? I haven’t heard much about you lately.” She said with a frown.

You imitated her action, “Yeah, well things have been sort of slow.”

“Then why do you look like you haven’t slept in days?” Tiffany smiled gently. You could tell from her eyes though that she was genuinely worried.

You shook your head no, not wanting to worry her. She was like the sister you never had with the kind way she talked to you. You managed a coy smile, “It’s that noticeable?”

Tiffany’s eyebrows scrunched up together guiltily. It felt like she had something to say. Something important to say but couldn’t. Eventually, she let out a breath she was holding and smiled again. However, her smile wasn’t what you were used to. It was forced. “I’m sorry.” She told you.

You titled your head in confusion. You were pretty sure that’s not what she meant to say. However, that was the last thing she said before she got up and gathered her heels in her hand. You stumbled over your own feet to catch up to her as she reached the door. With a light wave and a smile, she closed the front door behind herself. You stood in front of the door in silence when you remembered you were almost going to be late for school.

You quickly grabbed your shoes from beside the door and swung your backpack over you shoulder. When you opened the door, you expected to see Tiffany walking away from your house. Instead, you saw nothing. She had disappeared in an instant, just like Zico had the day he left your house. Why did it seem like everyone around you had more to them than they seemed?

 

 

 

When you entered the classroom, you stopped dead in your tracks. You saw a figure you hadn’t seen in what seemed like forever. There was that back you couldn’t help but stare at again. There was the girl who seemed attached to his arm at all times in her life. There was Myungsoo and beside him, Minah. As if it were he most normal thing in the world, but your heart did a few hard thumps. You were relieved. More than relieved. Myungsoo was fine. Dongwoo was fine. Which meant so were Woohyun, Sungjong, Hoya, Sungyeol and Sunggyu.

You smiled as you sat down in your seat, more than excited now that you knew they were okay. You actually never thought you’d be able to feel this happy. Yet here you were, floating on air. That is until your phone got a text message. A text message that made your happy smile fade from your face.

It was from B-Bomb. The first contact since you last saw him with a dislocated spine and body stitched up. It said,

“Zico is being Zico. Werewolf leader is not taking it sitting down.”  

Like a chain reaction, Myungsoo immediately got up from his seat with his bag, ignoring the questions from Minah, as he quickly left. You saw him glance at you from his peripheral as he rushed by before he disappeared into the hallway. You stood up now as well, powered by sheer will, and started to text B-Bomb back.

“Where are you?”

You put your phone in your pocket and your bag on your back before you raced out of the classroom. 

------------

A/N:

This update is late! I'm sorry! Regretfully, I may not be able to update until late at night today. Same thing for the weekend as well.  I'm still writing while I'm on the road (the last chapter, 45, was uploaded from my phone and was the reason I did not have a A/N at the bottom) so I will definitely still be updating. 

One of my commenters understood Zico's actions. Hopefully you guys don't hate him :( 

Don't forget to keep to leave a comment below~