VI

Springfield

“Do you hear me, Sungyeol?”

Sungyeol flinched and looked up, “Sunggyu? Hear what?”

Sunggyu frowned at him and crossed his arms as he readjusted himself in his lounge chair, “What’s wrong with you? You’ve been acting weird since you got home.”

Sungjong shrugged while forming a sarcastic look on his face, “Not any weirder than usual.” Sungyeol retaliated by wrapping his arm around Sungjong’s neck. They both laughed together as he did so. Sungyeol cleared his throat after his fit of laughter and got back on track with the original topic.

“Sorry Hyung, so what was the plan again?”

Sunggyu sighed but said nothing else about Sungyeol’s attitude. Instead, he addressed a more pressing issue. “Woohyun, you said that you caught onto Hoya’s scent right?”

Woohyun nodded, swirling his water in its glass as he comfortably sat on the couch of the spacious Victorian styled living room. “That’s right. I did but then, well you know what happened.”

“The hunters?” Dongwoo asked, absentmindedly poking at the fire in the fireplace.

“They’re getting more vigilant since the full moon is coming soon.” Myungsoo, aka L, leaned on the large arched doorway. His arms were crossed and his face expressionless as he gazed at the fire that Dongwoo messed with.

“I doubt Hoya got caught by them but we have to expect the worst. That part of the woods is their territory and they won’t take kindly to us just strolling in there.” Sunggyu breathed out. He ran a hand through his hair, “That’s why we’re going in two teams of three. Next to Hoya, Woohyun and Sungjong have the best sense of smell. Sungjong will be with Sungyeol and I. Woohyun, Dongwoo, L, you three will be the search party. We’ll be the distractions.”

“Distractions?” Dongwoo frowned at the term, “I don’t like that idea. If you’re talking distractions then it’s our team who should do it. Sungjong doesn’t suit combat and Sungyeol won’t be enough to back you up.” Sungjong hung his head low in Sungyeol’s grasp, he knew what Dongwoo said was true.

Sunggyu shook his head and spoke up, “We’re not talking about fighting. We’re talking about ‘distracting’ them. No one’s going to get hurt. Pretty sure Sungjong is the fastest runner I’ve ever seen and Sungyeol is a close second. I’m going to be the one backing them up.” Sungjong looked on proudly at his hyung, a grin on his face at the compliment given to him.

Dongwoo bit back his worries and decided to listen to him. If Sunggyu believed he could do it, it was possible.

"So we have a strategy but how do we go about finding the hunters in the first place? They're not going to just wear neon shirts and hold up signs for us," Myungsoo said, a frown still on his face. He didn't like how distracted not only Sungyeol was but also at how much Woohyun was. They should be thinking about Hoya not whatever personal problems they might have had. That was another thing he didn't like; that they hadn't even told him what was up but instead were clumsily attempting to hide it.

Sunggyu smiled at the comment, "That's an easy one. We go back is all."

"Back where?" Sungyeol asked.

Sunggyu looked back at Woohyun, his confident smile showing no sign of dissipating anytime soon, "Back to where Woohyun was attacked."

Sungjong pouted, "If only tonight was a full moon. We'd have the advantage then." Everyone went silent at his comment. They were in silent agreement as they continued to stare at the embers that flew from the waning fire.

 

 

 

"Mom, I'm home!" You called out as you walked into your house. There was no answer which you were expecting. After all, she was not the type to leave work early just to spend time with her one and only daughter, not in the least. You trudged up the stairs, slowly taking off your bag as you did so. Half way up the stairs, you heard a knock on the door. You wouldn't have heard it if you hadn't stopped to fix the zipper on your bag. You walked back down the stairs, throwing your bag at the foot of the stairs to get later. "Who is it?" You asked absentmindedly before opening the door. You blinked a few times as you looked down at what laid at your doorstep.

There, right in front of you, was a dog. Well at least you figured it was but it seemed bigger than the average mutt. You tilted your head in confusion as he sat on your porch at attention. He imitated your action, making you get a smile on your face. You looked around outside though you didn't see anyone on the street. You focused back on the dog.

"Hey little guy," though he was far from being little, "how'd you get here?" You asked as you rubbed his head. He squinted in appreciation of your action and let you do as you pleased.

You heard a loud bang and, startled, stood up quickly. The dog walked into the house through the gap between the door and your legs. You watched as it walked into the living room. You saw the mud on his paws and quickly shut and locked the door before running into the living room. "Hey wait!"

The dog didn't stop as he continued towards the couch, more than ready to jump on it right then and there. You grabbed his neck and pulled him back. "Oh no you don't!" You looked down at him in your lap. Your clothes did not look as pristine as they should have anymore. You breathed out, closing your eyes in frustration. He your cheek and you cracked a smile. When you opened your eyes, his deep brownish black eyes looked back at you with a look of reliance. You sighed and gently pushed him off of you before dragging him up to the bathroom.

 

 

 

Giving the dog his well deserved bath was definitely even more difficult than you thought it would be. He had thrashed and splashed around crazily though once you had finished that and started to rub his fur with the towel to dry him, you could've sworn that he was smiling at you. Despite how many times you yelled at him and got wet yourself you succeeded at getting both the dog and yourself clean.

You walked down the stairs in pajamas and walked into the living room with the dog following behind you closely. You were glad your mom wasn't home yet as you plopped onto the couch. The dog, contrary to before, went instead to the fireplace next to the television. He sat down and turned his head to look back at you. “You want me to light it?” You laughed at yourself for thinking you could understand dog. You walked over and put a block of wood in the fireplace before starting it. You went back to the couch and sat down. He followed you and jumped onto the couch as well, slowly resting his head down on your lap. You smiled at the warmth of the fire and of his fur. You the television and watched until you drifted off into deep sleep.

------------

A/N: I'm super excited you guys like to read this story~

Thank you to all subscribers and commenters for your support.