LXXX

Springfield

 

You don’t know how long you stayed in U-Kwon’s arms for. You simply continued to stare forward as B-Bomb massaged your fingers in his hands. He was breaking right in front of you. U-Kwon’s tight grip on your waist told you he was also having an inner collapse. Jaehyo watched you silently beside B-Bomb, his eyes not once leaving you. Taeil quietly cleaned up the shattered plates in the kitchen, hiding his weakness by busying himself.

What were you supposed to think now? It was though everything was slowly working itself out in your mind. Why the hunters were looking for the necklace. Why they were always stronger than you. Why they had an odd ability to smell the other werewolves. As you thought back, you remembered Sungyeol’s quick answer when you asked him if he knew about other werewolves existing just last night. It was immediate, too immediate.

The day you had gone running to the werewolves’ home for fear they got hurt, Sungjong had asked you if the hunters had told you yet why they can’t harm the werewolves on full moons. Now you knew what it was they had to tell. Even Myungsoo had told you to not worry about them on those days but instead the hunters. A part of you wished you didn’t know. If you had stayed ignorant forever, then you wouldn’t have had to deal with the monster of a secret the hunters were hiding. That they were what they hunted.

Werewolves.

It felt weird, the clarity in your head, as everything finally made sense.

“Yukwon,” Zico called out U-Kwon’s real name from behind him, “Minhyuk,” he now called B-Bomb’s real name, “Come to the living room. You too Jaehyo, Taeil.” Taeil put down the broom in his hand and walked quickly into the living room, most likely to take a look at P.O.’s condition.

B-Bomb brushed the hair out of your eyes, “Let’s go.” He whispered as he stood up. You didn’t move, only stared up at him. “P.O.’s in there now.” You immediately straightened up. U-Kwon helped you stand up and you walked into the living room in a hurry. Kyung was sitting on the couch while Taeil crouched down beside P.O. who was sitting in a single seater. Zico stood above the two and watched P.O. as Taeil checked him over.

When you walked in, all of the broken things had been moved to the corner of the living room. As soon as you saw P.O., you went to him. He looked up at you slowly and clenched his fists into the blanket he had wrapped around him. “I’m sorry,” he said, his voice hoarse as he refused to meet your eyes.

You shook your head and knelt down beside him, “You’re an idiot if you think you have to apologize. Are you an idiot?” You asked, a smile tugging on your lips. He looked down and shook his head now slowly. Your smile got softer and you reached out, taking grasp of his hand.

 

 

 

P.O. was now sitting to your left on the couch, his eyes staring down at his feet. He felt ashamed for what he had done. Ashamed he couldn’t control himself more. But more than anything, he was angry at himself for almost hurting you. “So let me clarify,” you cleared your throat before continuing, “P.O.’s a werewolf. That means all of you are too?”

Zico nodded coolly. You could tell it was just a farce. He was trying to seem nonchalant about the situation.

“But you want to kill the werewolves?” You questioned again and to it he responded with another nod, “Do you know how hypocritical that sounds? You want to kill werewolves but you are werewolves? What are you planning on doing if you succeed? Kill yourselves?”

“That was the idea.” He finally spoke. Your eyes widened and you seethed with anger. Before you could lash out on him, he continued, “Until we found out the necklace was in Springfield.”

You thought for a moment and took a deep breath before continuing, “Well what if it works on only one person? There are seven of you and one necklace. It can turn you into humans you said, sure, but you also said you have no idea how it goes about doing it.”

“That’s why we all decided that if it only works on one person, we’d give it to Jihoon.” He gestured to P.O. next to you and you figured that was his real name. The rest of them all nodded in agreement as though this was a decision made a long time ago.

You couldn’t keep up your harsh tone with them when they were showing you this side to them. They were vulnerable now in front of you and yet they were still so strong and unwavering. “You hate werewolves, so you fight them. But why not just leave them be? Why must you fight them?”

“We’re not this way because we want to be.” B-Bomb spoke up from his place by the fireplace, “We hate what we are. They embrace it as though its normal. We’re all just monsters but they don’t seem to even have any idea how horrible our existence is. We fight not only for our hate of them but for a good standing in Springfield.”

You questioned that ‘good standing’ phrase of his inside of your head. The Mayor. That’s what he meant. The hunters needed to be in good faith with the Mayor. He was the one making the two groups fight then.

“The better the foundation we stand on, the easier it is to search for the necklace without being interrupted or swayed.” Taeil said absentmindedly as he tightened the bandage on Jaehyo’s arm.

You nodded and decided to put together all you had now learned, “So the hunters who want to kill the werewolves are werewolves themselves who hate their own existence. You fight the werewolves because the mayor wants you to. All in order to get your hands on the necklace he has which can potentially change one or all of you into regular humans.”

The silence which answered you told you you were right on all accounts of your brief explanation.

“Then fight back.” You said, your voice urging. All seven heads looked up at you, not understanding your words. “Fight back against the mayor. Use the foundation you’ve built to mess his little plans up. Don’t just sit here and force yourselves to fight when there’s no reason to. Why fight your own kind? You all should be working together.”

Kyung scoffed at your last sentence, “Working together? We might be the same kind of monster but we’re not in the same league. They’re pure bred, coming from all over the world from groups of wandering werewolves. Us? We’re the outliers. The ones their type forget when its time to defend our kind. Just filthy mutts born into the families of deserters from those same wandering groups. Their control over their transformations comes to them as natural as breathing does. We on the other hand have to drink this damn-”

“Stop Kyung.” Zico scolded him, stopping him from cussing words at you any further.

“Why? She’s all ready to learn just about everything we’ve been keeping from her.” Kyung leaned down and picked up the cup from the nightstand beside him, “This stuff, P.O.’s been skimping on it lately. Don’t think I didn’t notice.” Kyung shot P.O. a glare while P.O. bowed his head lower. “This is Wolfsbane. I’m pretty sure B-Bomb here already told you all about it. Makes werewolves weak.”

You inspected the slightly yellow liquid he held in a glass in front of you. You remembered Sungyeol not eating anything at the party, Woohyun’s skin burning due to Wolfsbane being on the ropes that bind you to the chair in the mayor’s study, even the small time so long ago when U-Kwon drank something of P.O.’s that same color when you first came. B-Bomb had said it then so obviously.

‘P.O. needs to be the most careful out of all of us.’

“We ingest this stuff so we don’t go crazy every day. P.O., our youngest member and most susceptible to losing control, just hadn’t been taking it lately which caused this all to happen,” He gestured to the trashed living room around you now.

Despite the tone he had with you, you couldn’t help but feel pained to hear every word. They drank a substance that, at a single touch, burnt Woohyun’s fingers. How much easier it would be for them if they were like the others, able to control their transformations. An idea popped into your head now. It was your last resort in order to fix this problem.

“Why don’t you learn to control it? Learn from the other werewolves. Surely it doesn’t just run in your bloodline. Have you even ever thought of controlling it in other ways before?” You looked around at all of them who were thinking over your words. Then, you met eyes with Zico. He stood up from the chair he was sitting in.

“Let’s put a stop to this talk. We’re all tired. We’ll talk about it tomorrow.” This was Zico’s way of telling you that there was no talking about anything. He refused to work with Sunggyu and the others. Your hopes came crashing down. There would be no way to convince him to ignore his hate for them. You couldn’t get angry at him for rejecting the idea but still, it wasn’t how you imagined this conversation ending.

Zico exited the room and you could hear him walking up the stairs, most likely to his room. Taeil approached P.O. and gave you a slight smile as he helped the younger boy up. P.O. opened his mouth to say something, anything to you, but nothing came out. The two left the way Zico had. Kyung ruffled his hair in frustration. When he found that you were looking at him, he cleared his throat and exited the room.

“It’s his way of saying sorry for yelling at you.” Jaehyo spoke up in front of you as he gripped onto his arm. He gave you a quick quirk of his lips into a smile before they returned to a frown again. He left as well.

U-Kwon dragged his feet as he approached you. In an instant, his arms wrapped around your waist as he hugged you, “Please don’t get involved with trying to fix anything anymore.” He pleaded in a whisper, his lips by your ear. You didn’t answer and he pulled back. He smiled before heading up to his room.

B-Bomb didn’t walk past you. Instead, he walked towards the door, “I’ll take you home.” He muttered as he picked up a set of car keys from the table in the entrance hallway.

 

 

 

B-Bomb pulled in front of you house, your mom’s car not there since it was an afternoon on a weekend. She was probably hanging out with her work friends. Before you could get out of the car, B-Bomb suddenly shut the engine off. You looked towards him, questioning him.

“What you said about controlling it.” He turned towards you, his eyes serious, “I’d like to ask the werewolves if it’s really possible. If so, I want to try it.”

---------

A/N:

The more questions that are answered the more questions that arise. 

You all wanna know what happens next? Then please wait patiently for the next chapter~

 

Also, the last chapter got the most comments I have ever gotten for a single chapter. I mean WHOA.