LXVIII

Springfield

 

"Stop here!" You emphasized to B-Bomb by smacking onto the dash of the truck. He parked the car off of the street, in the grass, and you, U-Kwon, and himself got out of the car. A white Hyundai pulled up behind you and out of it came Kyung, Taeil, P.O, and Jaehyo.

You broke out into a run, catching them by surprise. They all ran after you. Kyung was following behind you closely because unlike the others, he knew exactly where you were going. However, soon all six of them found themselves completely left in your dust. They weren't tired; it was simply that you were much faster than them.

They only saw your back weaving through the brush of forest.

You couldn't even tell they were lagging behind. All you cared about right now was Zico. Flashes of him the day Sungyeol had to snap his arm into place haunted you. Like a fool, you completely forgot about the werewolves. Like a fool, you were rushing to Zico's side. Like a fool, you had convinced yourself it was all for the sake of getting the necklace.

The moonlight up ahead broke through the trees and you knew you were at the place from that night. Sure enough, there was the decrepit set of stairs leading downward. You looked around frantically, "Zico?" You yelled. He was nowhere around. You turned your search to the stairway now.

You stood at the top of the cobblestone steps and took a deep breath before descending. You had to squint your eyes as the dust got heavier with every step. You kept your eyes on your feet to avoid stepping onto weak spots on the stairs. At around the tenth step or so, your foot knocked something off of the stairs and sent it plummeting down the stairwell.

You looked away from your feet and towards where the object flew. You almost fell back in horror of the view in front of you. Zico was lying there, unmoving. You quickly pulled out your phone and shone the light on him, hoping to get a better look at him. You let your hand hover over his mouth. He was still breathing. You could tell from the slightly hot air that hit your palm. "Zico?" You called his name softly so as to stir him awake.

You were amazed at your calmness. You expected to be yelling at his limp body no matter if he heard you or not. But after you saw him, you couldn't do it. You wondered if this was how Hoya and Woohyun felt about you. Simply looking at you made them forgive you. Just like how now, you didn't want to yell at Zico. No, you would save that for later so that he could actually hear it. You smiled as you gathered him onto your shoulder.

At this point in time, the hunters arrived on the scene. They all yelled for you and Zico. You looked up and put one hand over your mouth to act as a sort of pseudo microphone before calling back to them, "Zico's down here!" They all rushed towards the stairs. You were already lugging the unconscious Zico on your shoulder up the last few steps. B-Bomb and Kyung took him from you and carefully, is if carrying a baby, laid him out onto a patch of grass that was lit up from the moonlight beaming through the trees.

Taeil checked him over, "Nothing seems all that bad." He turned his eyes to the cut on Zico's leg. "It's not bad." He murmured before slipping his hands onto Zico's shoulders, arms, rib cage, back, and legs. The rest of you waited in silence, nervous from what Taeil was going to find. He let go of Zico and threw glances at all of you,

"All he's got are bruises and a few sprains here and there." He said as a smile of relief lit up his face. Everyone breathed sighs, letting go of the breath you all had been holding. Taeil looked back down to Zico, "He must have given hell to whatever attacked him." You thought back to the ashen wolf from before. That blood must've belonged to it, not Zico. You couldn't help but wonder why that irked you, why you worried about that mysterious wolf.

"Let's get him home." Taeil's voice broke your thoughts.

"I got him," P.O stated as he bent over to lift Zico onto his shoulder. You came up behind him and hooked Zico's other arm around your own shoulders.

"Let me help." You said with a soft smile. He threw you an appreciative smile as the two of you began to lug Zico back to the car. U-Kwon affectionately nudged your arm as he walked next to you. Even Kyung and Jaehyo seemed relatively at peace as they followed. B-Bomb disheveled your hair from behind you. You looked up and glared at him though simply got an innocent look back. Taeil lifted your arm to raise Zico higher and scolded you to pay attention to what you're doing, causing B-Bomb to stifle a laugh.

"Alright alright. I got it." You laughed as followed his instructions with a smile on your face.

A howl in the distance caused you facial features to freeze. You looked up through the trees at the full moon and guilt sprouted inside of you. This was all a part of the plan. You told yourself.

-------

A/N  devoured whole by AFF.