LII

Springfield

 

You walked down the stairs while gathering your hair onto your left shoulder. When you reached the bottom, you bent over to pick up your tennis shoes when the sound of clanking glass made you look up. You immediately stood up in attention.

“Good morning.” Your mother spoke to you softly as she poured coffee for herself into her mug.

“Morning.” You answered back as you went back down to pick up your shoes, not once looking away from your mom. You hadn’t seen her since she cursed you out while you talked to Myungsoo the day he came over. You were amazed she didn’t leave before you woke up, like she always did. That seemed like forever ago and she seemed to not have changed in the least. In fact, she seemed to not care about your presence in the least.

You looked to the clock on the stove and quickly shoved your feet into your shoes, “I’m leaving now.” You told her. She only took a seat down at the breakfast table and sipped her coffee nonchalantly.

“I heard about what you’ve been doing.”

You paused, your hand hovering over the doorknob. You looked over towards her, whose eyes glowered at you.

“Try not to embarrass me again. People around town are praising you for hanging around those boy friends of yours so don’t screw it up now.”

You narrowed your eyes at her. It seemed as though not seeing you after so long only worsened her attitude towards you. You only wondered if you should have left with dad when he did for a moment before putting it out of your mind. No matter what, you loved your mom. Despite the insults and putdowns she spewed daily, she was still your mother.  “Love you.” You said before turning back towards the door, backpack in hand, to leave.

“You can take your car.” You heard her say before she got up from her seat and disappeared up the stairs. You felt slightly guilty that you had been taking it despite her not telling you you could. Then again, who could blame you? You hadn’t seen her in order for her to un-ground you till now.

You took your keys out of the bowl on the table in the hall before leaving for school.

 

 

 

“Do you want something to drink?” B-Bomb said as he took a seat down next to you on the couch. You had gotten to the hunters’ place just after school today.

“No I’m fine, thank you though.” You intertwined your fingers together as you stared down.

B-Bomb noticed your hesitation to speak first so he did, “Well, what did you come over for?”

You shifted in the couch to face towards him, “The wolf that attacked you, it’s not someone I know.”

B-Bomb blinked a few times at you, not understanding your sudden declaration, “Well yeah, I know that. I’ve gotten close enough to your wolf friends to know its not one of them.” He answered back to you. “But how do you know? Or what? You just came to rub in my face how much the group of you trust each other again?”

You didn’t react the way he thought you would. Instead of your usual annoyed pouting face, he got back a serious expression. “I saw it last night.” You told him. He stared at you wide eyed, processing what you just said. That’s when you told him, told him what happened last night. When you followed Zico, when you and Kyung found him talking to the wolf. About what you saw Zico standing beside. However, as you continued to tell your story, B-Bomb’s expression got darker.

“As if chasing after Zico alone isn’t enough, you teamed up with Kyung? Are you even sane right now?”

“You’re focusing on the part that’s not important B-Bomb.”

B-Bomb’s eyes filled with anger as he stood up from the couch, “The not important part? There shouldn’t even be an important part. In fact, you shouldn’t even be seeing us hunters at all. Just keep your head down and follow those wolf freaks of yours. Will you not realize the situation you’re in until you get shot in the head by Zico? Or Kyung? Or any one of us here? You need to keep out of this. I was a fool for even telling you all of the things I did. Just go back home Hyunjoo and live like a normal human girl for once.” He stormed out of the living room, disappearing when he turned the corner. You stared at where he left through a moment longer.

If you said that what B-Bomb told you didn’t bother you, didn’t feel like a stab through your heart, you’d be lying.

But then, you laughed. “A normal human girl? It’s a little too late to be saying that.” You couldn’t just leave things alone. Not when you were so close to figuring out what was all going on. Just as Kyung had said to you yesterday night, “Color me curious.” You said with a smile as you got up to leave.

 

 

 

The next day at school, Sungjong showed up at lunchtime just as usual. Myungsoo left with Minah just as usual as well.

“Hyunjoo, are you wearing a new perfume?” Sungjong leaned over your desk and asked randomly. He used his elbows to steady himself as he smelled you.

“No.” You answered with a frown. “I actually don’t wear perfume.”

Sungjong smiled. He was happy that whenever he was near you the sweet smell on you was just your natural scent. But today, it seemed as though you doused yourself in some foul smelling perfume. “Are you sure?” He asked again, getting closer to you as he sniffed you just beside the right side of your face.

You shifted towards your left, trying to avoid the stares that were now on the two of you, “I’m sure.” You told him again as you pushed him away gently.

Sungjong stood up straight and pouted. He definitely smelled something odd but he couldn’t put his finger on it. It was familiar too, but what? That’s when he froze as he finally remembered what it was. He gripped onto your shoulders and leaned over your desk once more, taking a big whiff as if it would change anything. “Hunter.” He let go of you, his face full of distress, “Why do you smell like hunter? No, why is it so strong?”

You bit your lip, figuring it would be okay to tell Sungjong. Among the werewolves, he was the person you trusted the most behind Sungyeol and Hoya. “Well I went to their house last night.” You confessed.

“You what?” Sungjong almost yelled it for the world to hear. You quickly grabbed his arm and pulled him to lean over.

“I just had a chat with B-Bomb.” You whispered into his ear. When he pulled back, you saw the look of confusion on his face. He obviously didn’t know any of the hunter’s names besides Zico and Kyung. “Don’t worry, B-Bomb is actually not all bad.”

“Who’s not all that bad?” A voice came from your right. You almost fell out of your seat in shock at the new presence. Your lip quivered at who you found standing there. The figure turned to Sungjong now for answers, “Did I hear you say hunters earlier?” He turned to you now, “And did I hear you say you actually went over to their house?

“Woohyun-Hyung.” Sungjong calmly called out as he threw you a glance, trying to calm down the now fuming Woohyun. “Don’t get mad.”

“I’m not mad. No, scratch that. I am. But if you give me some answers then we won’t have a problem.” He directed towards you. However, when he turned to where you were just seated, you weren’t there. Woohyun quickly looked to the door of the room and saw you dodging out of the back. “That little.” Woohyun didn’t finish as he maneuvered past a few students in order to get to the door. “She thinks she can actually out run me?”

Sungjong sighed as he watched Woohyun disappear out the door after you. He knew you got his signal to run earlier when he glanced at you. If anything, while he chased you, Woohyun would let off some steam. Then, maybe, just maybe, he would go easier on you. It’s worked for him multiple times whenever he ran away from doing the chores. However, he was in werewolf form, sprinting for his life. You on the other hand, are a human girl. Sungjong looked at his watch, “At best, I give her forty seconds before she’s caught.”

 

 

 

Myungsoo walked beside Minah to the benches in front of the school. As soon as lunch started, she invited him to eat lunch with her and her friends, no doubt to show him off. He was fine with that though. It bothered him the first few times though now he was used to it.

In fact, the mayor himself was getting used to Myungsoo as well. The mayor even revealed to him one day he came over that it was a shame he was a werewolf. He told him that with his looks, the elites would be put on an even higher pinnacle.  That he was destined for something better than the life he was living now. Of course, he knew it was all a load of bull. Whatever future the mayor had planned, he didn’t want to see it.

“What should we eat today? Sandwiches are getting boring.” Minah said with a pout as she hooked her arm through Myungsoo’s. “What do you think?”

He lifted his left arm, the one she had hooked her arm through, and rubbed the back of his head, “Anything is fine.” He had purposely done the action to get her off of him and she took notice of it. However, when he looked down at her and smiled, she immediately forgot the action. She smiled excitedly back at him.

Minah’s happiness was short lived as someone bumped into her as they ran by. She sent a glare to the person who almost tripped over though her eyes widened when she realized who it was.

You steadied yourself after having just almost fallen over after bumping into Minah. You breathed heavily as you stood up and looked around. You must have lost Woohyun in the stairway because he was nowhere in sight. You felt someone staring and sure enough, both Minah and Myungsoo had stopped dead in their tracks. Both of them looked you over in confusion.

You ignored the slightly perturbed Minah and turned your attention to Myungsoo. You held up one finger and put it to your lips, “If Woohyun comes past here, you saw nothing.” He stared blankly at you as you ran off again towards the entrance of the school.

“What?” Minah blew air out of , “Doesn’t she know how to act like a girl? She’s always running around like a boy.”

Myungsoo, even though he shouldn’t have, got the feeling he should follow you. In fact, facing the prospects of having another lunch break with Minah or going after you, he had to choose you. You always had something going on that was interesting; something worth hanging around to watch. Besides being entertaining, another part of him was worried. Of course, his mind quickly put down all of his thoughts towards you. A deep-rooted dislike for you sprung up in him again as he reminded himself of all the reasons he didn’t like you. Still, his feet moved on their own.

“Oppa?” Minah called after him, worried due to the sudden expression of worry on his face.

“Bathroom.” He told her quickly before going towards the entrance of the school.

 

 

 

You crouched low behind the cover of the bike racks as you caught your breath. If you just stayed hidden for five more minutes, the warning bell to get back to class would ring. Then, Woohyun would have to go to class and you could get back as well. “Just a little longer.” You breathed out as you clutched onto your legs.

“What are you doing?”

You flinched and fell backwards onto your . You locked eyes with the person who peaked down at you from the half wall of the bike racks. Your heart did that flippy floppy thing again. Whenever you saw him it never failed to do it. You could count on that the most to be true out of everything going on right now. Earlier in the hall you didn’t focus on him so you hadn’t felt it then but now your heart beat like a drum. You put it out of your mind as you focused on his question.

“Hiding.” You whispered in answer. You peaked around the corner again, finding that a few girls had taken notice of Myungsoo. You motioned him to go away with your hands, “Shoo before you get me caught.”

“What did you do?” Myungsoo asked as he raised an eyebrow at you.

You impishly smiled up at him to which he stiffly frowned at. His eyes begged the question of why and you couldn’t help but give into them. You needed someone to talk to. Someone to tell everything you were on the brink of finding out about. You couldn’t resist his gaze that made you want to share everything. But should you? Would he believe you? Would he listen to you instead of telling you not to bother and mind your own business? As you continued to stare at him, you seemed to care less and less about what his reaction would be. You just wanted to tell him everything.

“L?”

You zoned back into reality at the sound of a familiar voice calling Myungsoo’s nickname. Both of you turned to the voice, finding Sungyeol riding back into the school entrance with a bag of snacks. It seemed as though he left the campus to get his lunch today and was just now coming back with leftover junk food.

“Hyunjoo?” He was surprised to find the two of you together. Then again, he remembered when he found Myungsoo talking on his phone with you. Myungsoo was being secretive, something that Sungyeol knew wouldn’t be good for anybody. “Why are you crouching down like that?” He directed towards you.

Your eyes filled with panic as you quickly looked back up at Myungsoo. He met your eyes only for a moment before looking away. You couldn’t stop yourself from being disappointed with his actions. Of course, an understanding attitude was not something you should have expected from him. Before Sungyeol could say anything else, the warning bell rang. All three of you looked towards the doors of the school, where students began piling into. Before you knew it, you were back in class, as if nothing had happened.

As the math teacher lectured on, you snuck a peak back at Myungsoo in the back row. He was completely focused on the lesson. You knew that he knew you had something to tell him but no doubt he didn’t want to hear it. And if he didn’t want to hear it, then you had to find someone else to tell it to. 

------------

A/N:

An earlier update for today~ 

Mom showed up finally huh? She has really taken a break in the parenting department lately. As for all of your suspicions, I can only say to continue reading because I will not give away anything ahead of time :P

P.S. Did you guys see the new poster I made for the story? Yes? No? Just asking~

Don't forget to leave a comment below (if you would like to~)