CVIII

Springfield

So here the two of you were again. Utter silence filling the void that was the two meter distance you maintained from Myungsoo. You hadn’t said a single word to him since he had saved your life. This silence was not exactly what you expected to happen after that. You wanted to thank him. You hadn’t said it but you had been thinking it many times since he had caught you.

You couldn’t get the words out.

There was something about the tension between the two of you now that made any word of thanks seem inappropriate. Something else that seemed inappropriate was closing the distant between you two.

You twiddled with the ends of your jacket only to remember that it wasn’t your jacket. The leather rubbed against itself as you lowered your hands to your side. It smelt just like Myungsoo had earlier. Dewey grass. It reminded you of him as well. Black. A shimmering black. A dark character you can’t help but be drawn to.

You wondered for a moment what it would be like being trapped down here with anyone else besides Myungsoo. It would be definitely more comfortable if it were anyone else. Yet, maybe this was a good thing. You had always simply left him alone when he rejected your attempts to talk to him. Now, you were forced to face him, and he you.

So shouldn’t you use this chance to your advantage? Sure, you had made small talk with him this entire time but every time something about his life came up he would stop the conversation. So then the key thing to do was to avoid asking about his life. What could you ask then? If it couldn’t be about him, that left only one topic to talk about.

“What do you think about me?”

The question slipped from your lips. At first, it seemed like a good idea. But then, when you saw he had frozen mid-step, you regretted your question. Seems like shutting up and following him was better than this. You squinted your eyes, waiting for the glare you would get when he turned around.

He did turn around, but he didn’t glare. He only turned enough to glance at you from the corner of his eyes. You cursed yourself out over and over. Why? Of all questions? What surprised you the most was that he didn’t simply ignore the question. He actually answered. An answer that wasn’t that satisfactory sure, but an answer none-the-less.

“You’re crazy.”

That phrase was one he had used earlier as well.

“I’m crazy?”

If he had said it twice now, then he must have not been joking. Did Myungsoo ever joke around you though? The answer to that was a simple, no.

“That’s what I said.”

He replied stoically before turning around once more and continuing forward. You took long strides to catch up with him, the feeling of having to stay away no longer there.

“I’m crazy?” You asked again except this time, your voice was coated in sarcasm. You were hinting it obviously. The silent statement that he was just as if not crazier than you were.

He stopped, causing you to have to skid to a halt to avoid bumping into him. He turned to you fully now, looking you up and down with scrutinizing eyes. “As I thought.” He said to himself in affirmation. Your wide eyes narrowed and you pursed your lips due to his comment.

“What’s as you thought?”

A small puff of air escaped his lips before he turned again, once more continuing forward, farther away from you. He was quite a ways away before he answered in a bored tone, “Looking again doesn’t change anything.”

 

 

 

The two of you had stopped once more to take a break and the hush of the Containment zone enveloped the two of you again. You sniffed once and brought your knees closer to your chest. Myungsoo glanced at you from the corner of his eye. It was coming, he knew. Soon, there would be another question coming out of your mouth. Whether or not it would be as absurd as the last one was was up for verdict.

You breathed out once and laid your chin on your knees, “I wonder what the others are doing right now. If they are trying to help us get out.” You sighed and stretched your legs forward again, “I hope not. We can get out on our own. They need to take care of themselves.”

Myungsoo narrowed his eyes as he stared forward, not understanding you. You were unbelievable. Not in your thoughts. He had thought the same way of course. He rather escape this place without the help of his pack than have them risk their lives trying to help him. What was unbelievable was the way you said it, as though you had complete and utter confidence in yourself. Where did it come from? He couldn’t help but say his thoughts out loud.

“What makes you so sure we’ll make it out?”

You turned to him slowly and your chest heaved lightly once. You had laughed.

“I am my mother’s daughter.”

There was a smile on your face. However, Myungsoo wouldn’t define it as such. There was something off about. It was as though it wasn’t a smile at all. As though you were smiling just for the sake of it. He had only seen your mother once, for a moment. It wasn’t hard to tell you had gotten your personality from her.

“And your father?”

Why had he asked that? As though trying to affirm that he himself also had a father, the question slipped from his lips.

“My father?” Your voice went soft yet still your eyes didn’t leave his. You stared straight at him and he you, not faltering in the least. When had he turned towards you fully? He didn’t remember. “My father left us three months before we got to Springfield. He told me it wasn’t my fault when he left. He said it wasn’t my mother’s either. I wasn’t so naïve as to think I could change his mind. He must have left because he had already considered all other options. So I didn’t try to stop him.” You laughed. An action that confused Myungsoo. You continued despite the blank stare he was giving you. “I miss him sometimes though. That’s when I get to thinking that I should have acted like a brat and tried to stop him.”

Myungsoo let his mind drift to his own parents and he felt it again. The cold chill of ice through his veins. The feeling of numbness spreading through him despite already being rid of the Wolfsbane bullet from his thigh. He heard the faint yelling, the curses, and the sound of glass breaking. All of it seemed so close, so familiar. As though the years he had spent away from it meant nothing. Was it really pointless? Everything he had done? Everything he had avoided doing? If he could still remember so vividly the thing he ran away from, what was the point in running away in the first place?

“Myungsoo?”

With a blink of his eyes, he was back in the present. He was drawn away from his thoughts. He found you looking at him with worried eyes, your eyebrows pinched together and your lips forming a tight frown.

“You were staring at me for a little while.”

You informed him in a hushed tone of voice. How long had he been out of it that you had to call out to him? This wasn’t good. You would notice. You would ask him about why he had zoned out. As the mighty inquisitor, you wouldn’t miss this chance.

“Should we keep on moving?”

His jaw fell open slightly. You were letting it go? You weren’t going to ask him about it? He must have heard wrong. As you stood up slowly, he silently waited for you to say more. You wiped your hands together, getting rid of the bigger particles of dirt. There was no getting rid of the smudges after all. You once more readjusted his jacket on your shoulders.

He watched you all the while. Were you really letting it go? So easily? Well, good. All the better for him.

It was better wasn’t it? He hated your questions. He hated having to remember his past. So then why did he find himself so put off that you dropped the subject so quickly? Why was he disappointed? Had he not wished you’d stop asking for so long now? Yet now he felt he had wanted you to ask. To ask him about his father. About his mother.

Perhaps its because he had never talked to anyone about it. Perhaps its because he wanted to talk to someone whose opinion of him didn’t matter. Perhaps it was because no one had ever asked him about his past as you had so often. Perhaps it was none of these. Either way, Myungsoo wanted to know why now of all times you had held back.

“You’re not going to ask me about my parents?”

You looked down at him, your gaze unfaltering. You answered without hesitation.

“I’m not trying to commence another hour of silence.”

“And if I wanted you to?”

--------

A/N:

This chapter was painfully short. So painfully short it actually mentally hurts me. It's necessary though, so just know that the next two chapters will be lengthier and have more plotline in them. However, it is a Myungsoo and Hyunjoo chapter. So look on the bright side, it's more Myungsoo to make you all fangirl over. 

 

 

Let us fangirl together as we wait for the next chapter.