Practice Hard

Note to Self: Don't Fall

 

*** Lee Jinki POV ***

 

“Let's start.” Right after the meeting with the representatives, Junhee and I decided to start studying the song that we are going to sing next week. They gave us one more than one week to prepare. It's only Thursday, and Junhee's special stage with me is going to be on Friday next week.

 

I connected my phone on the speaker before playing the song Jonghyun gave me the other day. She was waiting patiently, “Are you sure I can sing that?” She asked worriedly and I only smiled.

 

“Of course. There's nothing Junhee can't do.” I replied but it only gained a frown from her so I chuckled. “It doesn't matter. I'll help you sing this well.”

 

We didn't wait for long as the music immediately played in we stopped talking in order to listen to it clearly and intently. I looked at her expression while listening to the song and I saw her smile during the, I really really like you, part of the song. However, her expression changed when the girl started singing a bit high.

 

“Oh my. The song is great but...” She paused for a while and looked at me with uncertainty. “I'm sure I can't sing that high.”

 

“You can.” I insisted. “I, for once, also thought I couldn't sing high notes. I successfully made it after practice.”

 

“Yeah. After five years of practice.” She sighed.

 

“We can make the note a bit lower if you want. After all, we'll ask someone to rearrange the song so it can fit both our voices.” I took a deep breath before continuing. “For now, should I hear you sing? I need to know your range.” I told her but she immediately shook her head.

 

“No way.”

 

“Why not?” I sat up straight and looked at her with a secret expression. “Yah. Won't you listen to your mentor? Yah, Kim Junhee... I am not only your boy-” I stopped when I realized we actually have a camera filming for us. “Not only your cousin's friend, but I'm also your mentor!” I told him acting like I was angry as I pointed a pencil towards her. She pouted.

 

“Arasso..” She said weakly.

 

“Good. Now, you need to sing a part of this song, this song, and this song.” I told her as I gave her the songs I want her to sing. She frowned and looked at me.


“Are you serious?”

 

“Yes. I am serious. Trainee, please stop questioning me.” I tried so hard to sound authoritive so stubburn Kim Junhee will follow me. Eventually, she did – for she had no choice but to follow anyways, or else, she'll have to seek out someone else's help which will probably consume a lot of time. “Okay. Do you want me to sing first so you can ease a bit?”

 

Her eyes sparkled and delight and nodded suggestively. “Sure, oppa! Please sing! Sing! Sing!” She even clapped her hands and looked at me.

 

Can you love me...

As much as I approached you?

Now please come to me

Your heart relying on me.

Even if it isn't love, it's okay because I still can see you.

It's alright because I'll still love you.


 

“Waah...” Junhee said after I ended the song. “Oppa. You really DO have such a sweet voice, huh?”


 

I frowned. “You've known SHINee for like how many years and yet, you realize about my voice just now?”


 

“Well...” She shrugged her shoulders. “I've listened to your voice once but it was just on CD. Ithought it sounded really beautiful but hearing you sing live in front of me... waah...”


 

I chuckled and took my phone to give her a message. I can't just tell it to her since the camera will surely capture it. Soon, she received my text.


 

You seriously want everybody to know how much in love you are to me, huh?


 

After seeing her expression, I can't help but to laugh. She pouted towards me but still smiled. This is such a great thing – seeing her act just as how I wanted her to act around me from the start. All sweet – a bit cute – and playful.


 

She eventually sang some songs that I asked her to sing. She was a bit off the tune sometimes and she can't really reach some high notes but I think we can work that out in some ways. I always believe practice makes one do something that he's willing to do. No, it won't make you perfect. It will just make you capable of doing what you want to do.


 

“I told you I can reach high notes.” She told me after cracking her voice on one of the songs “Wait, can you sing this?” I saw some song lyrics from the internet and I find it a bit interesting if she sang it in front of me. I handed her the lyrics and she stared at it – and made face afterwards.


 

“Why do you want me to sing this one?” She lifted an eyebrow towards me. Oh, my girlfriend appears.


 

“I told you stop questioning me.... trainee.” I said emphasizing the word trainee, obviously teasing her. She shook her head but eventually started singing.


 

My eyes keep going to that white face

Why don't I even get sick of you?

When you slightly smile at me, I really go crazy.

How can you be so pretty, baby?


 

“Yah. How can I sing this properly if you're looking at me like that!” She whined and immediately stopped singing. “Are you seriously listening to me or you're just looking at me?”


 

“Both.” I answered and chuckled a bit loudly. “Aigoo~ Kyeopta~”


 

I just kept teasing her coz I somehow felt like she was really having a hard time showing to everybody how cool she can sing. I love it when she feel messed up. She's usually the one who's great at everything. I know I sound like a bad guy here but.. I really want to see her panicked and feel nervous and all – in such cute way.


 

“Aigoo... I really can't do it.” We stayed there for long because she really wanted to sing her parts properly.


 

“If you can't, then let's choose another song. You don't need to force yourself.” Suddenly, I felt a bit worried because I didn't she would working with her nose all at her work. She didn't stop – nor even paused for a break. She kept on singing the same lines every single time until she gets it right – and it bothered me a bit because I can see she's already getting exhausted.


 

“You told me I can't work this out. Sure I will.” She said without even looking at me and repeat the line again.


 

“Yah. It's enough. Can't you hear your voice? It became a bit hoarse now. You must rest your throat.” I said.


 

“And, we're off.” The camera director uttered and both of them stood up. “We're all good for today, let's see each other again tomorrow.” He said.


 

“Have you safe way home, director nim, unni.” She said and bowed to them.


 

“You should go home, too.”


 

“I'll stay here for a while.” She said and sta again to listen to the music.


 

“Yah. Who told you to stay? Let's go. I'll drive you home.” I told her, gently grabbing her arms. She only shook her head. “But look at you. You look exhausted and your eyes are sleepy already.”


 

“I need to get this done first or else I won't be able to go to sleep.” She uttered stubbornly and looked at the staff again. “Please go ahead.” The staff nodded and left the two of us inside the practice studio.


 

I just sat there and looked at her. She was practicing heavily. She looked a bit weird coz she just won't stop. no... actually, Jonghyun and Junhee are the same. Both of them never stop until they get what they want – even if they are tired already.


 

My phone suddenly rang. Junhee looked at me with a bit of pissed off expression. “If you have no plans of going home yet, just turn your phone in silent mode. I don't want to be distracted.” She said and did the same with her phone.


 

“Until when are we going to stay here? It's already past 10, Junhee ah. Aren't you tired?” She shook her head.


 

“I'll stay until I get this done.” She said and sang again – nonstop. “You should go home and rest. I'll go later, I promise.”


 

“What if you get the lines at around 2 pm? Then you'll go home alone at that time? No. I'm staying. Just go on with what you're doing, you hard headed girl.” I said and sat there beside her, crossing my arms.