I just can't

Note to Self: Don't Fall

 

 “Deh ~ Deh ~ Deh ~” Onew ssi just nodded while I was telling him what I heard just a while ago. I was referring to the conversation between Park Chorong and that reporter.

 

“Yah. Were you even listening to me?” I asked him irritatingly. He was smiling like an idiot and it annoyed me so much. “You were smiling as if I'm talking about something funny.” I told him.

 

“Well... it is funny.” He said and chuckled again. His eyes almost disappearing because of the length of his lips curving on his face.

 

“What's so funny about that? I was trying to stop a scandal about you and Chorong.” I said and he nodded – still idiotically smiling.

 

“Well... you prevented a possible scandal only to create an issue involving yourself.” He answered.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Well ~ Let's see it tomorrow I guess.” He shrugged his shoulder and stopped the engine. I was too engrossed to talking that I didn't know we went the different way. As I looked outside, I realized we were in front of a restaurant around Hongdae.

 

“What are we doing here?” I asked.

 

“You told me to have a dinner with you if I had time... well... I do.” He said excitedly while unfastening his seatbelt. “I have never tried eating here coz they say this place only accommodates couples.”

 

“Huh?” I totally raised an eyebrow upon hearing what he said. “There's a restaurant that only accommodates couples? Aren't they afraid of running out of customers then?”

 

“I don't know.” He shrugged his shoulders and both of us got off the car at the same time.

 

“Hello, ma'am... sir. Welcome.” The receptionist said as she immediately approached us upon entering. “Oh.. SHINee...” She immediately blushed and Onew smiled. The lady looked at me who was still in school uniform. It was awkward.

 

“Table for two, please.” He said politely.

 

“Please, this way.” She said and we walked after her.

 

It wasn't really for couples only. Not far away, I saw two guys eating together. “Onew ssi... look. This is not for couples only.” I whispered and pointed those two guys.

 

“Junhee-ah... not because they're both guys means they are not a couple. Look closely.” He said and I didn't remove my gaze to them until the guy wiped the other's lips with his fingers.

 

Oh.. they actually... are.

 

“I told you.” Onew ssi said and walked further.

 

“Why is this restaurant for couples only?” I asked the receptionist that was walking with us. She looked at me and smiled.

 

“This restaurant is not actually just intended for couples, but I guess we gave much of that impression since there's this story that when a guy and a girl eat here together, they will pretty much end up together.”

 

“Eh?!” I frowned and turned to look at Onew ssi. He shrugged his shoulders and just ignored what the lady said.

 

“We can take this place.” He said and smiled to the receptionist. The lady smiled.

 

“We'll take your orders in a bit, for a while.” She smiled and walked away. I sighed – suddenly thinking about what the receptionist said just now. They will end up together?

 

“Eat whatever you want. It's oppa's treat.” He said and I almost choke in the water that I was drinking. Oppa?! “Hey. You should call me that, instead of Onew-ssi. That's better and more natural.” He told me.

 

“I'm not calling you that.” I told him.

 

“Why?” Onew ssi pouted. It was the craziest thing I've seen so far. “You're calling Minho, Key and Taemin oppa... then why not me?

 

Oh right... why am I not calling him oppa when I call everybody else that?

 

“It doesn't matter anyways.” I told him and smiled.

 

“Jinki-oppa.” Onew ssi mouthed to me. I frowned. “Just call me that. That's cooler.”

 

“Jinki-oppa?” I repeated it with my own voice. It doesn't sound awkward at all, and as what he said.. it was even better than calling him Onew-oppa...

 

“Great.”

 

The waiter arrived and took our orders. We were silent all the while when we were eating but it was not awkward at all. It felt like we both needed the serene silent to just enjoy the meal together.

 

“That was great.” He said after finishing the last bite of the meat on his plate. He looked so happy and full. It was actually a nice sight seeing him enjoy such simple thing – foood. “I'm full but I don't mind having another serve.” He commented and chuckled.

 

“Oh. You can get mine.” I pushed my plate a bit to him but he shook his head.

 

“You should finish eating that. It's a waste of experience if you won't be able to eat everything on your plate.” He giggled and wiped his face with tissue.

 

We made sure we ate everything that were served to us before leaving the restaurant. It was a fun dinner with him and I must admit I enjoyed it a lot.

 

oh... and yeah... he told me to start calling him Jinki oppa. I must get used to it from now on.

 

*** ***

 

“Oh? Junhee-ah... why are you late?” Umma asked when I arrived home. I realized I didn't text her about not going home in time. She seemed to be in a good mood, though.

 

“Umma, sorry ~ I was in KBS after class because Jonghyun oppa called me and said Onew – , I mean.. Jinki oppa is needed there for the broadcast.” I told her. “And... he treated me for dinner after the show that's why I went home even later.”

 

“Jonghyun oppa treated you outside?” She asked. It was awkward for me to correct her but... I did – embarrassed.

 

“Ani ~ On – Jinki oppa.” I said almost saying Onew instead of Jinki again. An obvious smile appeared on her face.

 

“He's being very persistent, huh? Did you say yes?” Mom asked and I saw her eyebrows moving up and down.

 

“Umma, stop it.” I said as I felt heat on my cheeks. “He's not courting me – and take note: He won't.” I told her – immediately killing her chance of me ending up with him. For sure, umma was thinking about having a son-in-law like him.

 

“That's sad. I wanted him to be my son.” I knew it. I really knew umma will say that. “He is very nice, very warm, and very polite. He always smiles and it feels like it's very positive to be around him.”

 

Oh, umma. You really think highly of him, don't you? I only shook my head and and put my bag on the couch as I took some rest before proceeding to my room.

 

“But.. don't you like him?” Umma sat with me and looked at me in the eyes.

 

Do I like him? I couldn't answer the question myself. Honestly, am I starting to like him?

 

“Junhee-ah?” Umma called out. “What?”

 

“Hmm...” I uttered and still thinking of what to answer. Maybe I should just say no so the conversation will end? “I don't think so.”

 

“I don't think so either.” Umma replied. “I don't think you know your feelings at all.”

 

It was like being poured with cold water on my whole body. I couldn't understand what she meant, but I still felt like she got me somewhere. Oh, mothers ~

 

“It's either you still don't like him... or you do but half of your mind is resisting to admit.” She chuckled.

 

“Not.. I don't like him like what you think mom.”

 

“Sure, sure. You don't need to make me believe of that... because I only believe in one thing.” She held my hand and rubbed the back of my palm. “That my Junhee is still young, and she hasn't experience so much when it comes to these things... so I don't want her to be afraid of anything... I don't want her to resist happiness if there is... and I don't want her to hide the pain when she starts feeling it.”

 

The gentle expression on Umma's face made me rest on her arms and sigh. It feels so good coming back in the arms of that someone who cherished and cared for you all your life.

 

“He is a bad person.” I told her – honestly. “He said he likes me two times already...”

 

“Isn't that a good thing, hun?”

 

“But they were all lies. He was just joking around.. and just made me believe for the fun of it.” I told him.

 

“Aww... that's not cool of Jinki.” I wanted to laugh by how she remarked it. “But sweetie...”She pushed me a bit and looked into my eyes. “Not everything that he says... is all that he feels.”

 

“What do you mean, umma?” I asked and she messed up with my hair.

 

“You'll know it soon.” Umma chuckled and hugged me tight again. “Aww. I miss doing this with you. You've been very busy these days. I almost forgot you're already graduating from highschool.” She told me.

 

“I'm sorry umma. Promise I'll make it up to you during vacation. We'll bake together, watch movies together, and everything.” I chuckled.

 

“That's a promise you must keep, okay? But... when you start to like that oppa... at least let umma know. That will be just a secret between you and I.”

 

“Arassoo~”

 

Mom helped me feel better, but I'm still afraid. I'm afraid to be completely lose in his eyes. I hate that feeling of not being able to fight back. I hate that feeling of wanting to escape from my emotions but I can't.

 

I can't. I just can't help but put myself on guard... because it's Jinki oppa … it's the different Jinki.

 


// now this isn't a joke, guys. herher.