Seeing Oppa

Note to Self: Don't Fall

 

“See you next week, class. Goodbye.” Ms. Park took all her things in an instant and quickly walked out of the classroom. It was our last class for today and after another boring discussion with the strict teacher, who always goes to class wearing her huge round eyeglasses and whom my classmates coined to as the old maid, we were free to go home.

 

“Jun Hee-ah...” One of my close friend, Seo Li, called from behind. I looked at her and I saw a flash of weird smile on her face.

 

I frowned, “What's with that smile?”.

 

“It's Friday...” She whispered excitedly.

 

“And so?” I cocked my head because I was clueless of what she was trying to say.

 

“It's only 1pm.”

 

“So what?” I asked again, impatient of what she, really, was trying to tell me.

 

“It's Music Bank day.”

 

She was basically talking about a Friday music show on a local TV network. “What's up with Music Bank?” I asked but decided to continue working on packing my bag. I immediately thought this friend of mine will say such useless thing only.

 

“It's SHINee's comeback stage.” She leaned closer and uttered those words really close to my ear. “Shouldn't you be going to the studio now to support Jonghyun-oppa?”

 

“Omo!” I looked at her in surprise. I literally forgot about Oppa's comeback performance on Music Bank today. I wasn't able to watch them on their MCountdown comeback so I promised Jonghyun-oppa that I'll be present for today's live performance. “I forgot!” I looked at her with eyes almost dilating.

 

My other friend, Min Young, who was sitting far away from us during class, came to join in the conversation. “What did you forget, Junhee-ah?” She asked.

 

“Oppa's comeback!” I told them. “Oh my.. I really forgot. What time is it already?” I had to grab Min Young's arm to look at her watch. Yeah... it's past 1. If I start travelling from here to the company, then it will take about 30 – 40 minutes by bus, and it is required for the audience to be inside at around 3 pm for a 5 pm program.

 

“Let's hurry up!!” Seoli took my bag and went ahead – almost running – out of the classroom. Minyoung chuckled and we all left together.

 

Because the traffic was unusually light and fast, we were able to reach the network at around 2:45 pm. Eventually, after some checking and registration, we entered the studio just in time.

 

“Can't we just get backstage passes?” Minyoung was frowning the moment we got to take our seats. “I want to see SHINee up close.” Her voice was a bit loud so some fans who heard her looked at her weirdly and with raising eyebrows. I elbowed her. She shut up.

 

I looked around and saw a lot of SHINee fans sitting together, waiting for the guys to come out on stage, have their rehearsal, and greet the fans. While I was busily looking at the stage design, that, I think, is for SHINee's huge comeback stage, my phone suddenly rang.

 

It was a call from Jonghyun-oppa.

 

“Oppa? I'm here. As promised.” I smiled as I talked to my favorite cousin of all.

 

“You sure?” He asked suspiciously. “Why don't you come here backstage and see me first, saenggie?”

 

“Aniyo~” I told him. “It's okay, oppa. We are sitting close enough to where you can see me later. Don't ever try to ignore me when you step on the stage, okay?”

 

The fans who heard me talking to someone awkwardly looked at me. I blushed and tried toning down my voice. “I'm hanging up, oppa... your fans are looking at me weirdly already.” I said, almost whispering.

 

“Okay. Fine. But you need to eat with us later after the performance okay?” He asked.

 

“I can't. I'm with my friends.”

 

“Tag them along. See you.” That's it and Jonghyun-oppa quickly hanged up.

 

I sighed. Jonghyun-oppa has always been this stubborn and whiney. Sometimes I even thought he's younger than me by years. But no, in reality, Oppa's older than me by 4 years.

 

Jonghyun-oppa's father and my father are brothers. I am an only child and Jonghyun-oppa's the youngest with only an older sister. That's why the two of us quickly became close from then on. Jonghyun-oppa wanted a dongsaeng, and I wanted an oppa.

 

“What did he say?” Seo Li looked at me excitedly after I took my phone back to my pocket.

 

“Well...” I hesitated a bit if I were going to tell them about what Jonghyun-oppa said. “Uhmm..”

 

“Did he say you should see him after their performance?” She asked again. Min Young was also looking at me, waiting for me to answer.

 

I nodded.

 

“Assa! We're gonna meet them up close now!” Seo Li and Min Young high fived and giggled together. I only scratched my head.

 

Not that I'm ashamed of my friends, but I feel embarrassed of these people spazzing in front of SHINee. This will be the 3rd time since we became friends that I will tag them along to see Jonghyun-oppa, and will eventually see the rest of the group. They always act as if it will be the first time seeing them in person.

 

I don't know if it was just because oppa is my cousin or what, but actually, I don't feel that much of a fan with SHINee. They look really normal to me. They are just a group of five people who happened to be trained in singing and dancing very well.

 

Unbiasly talking, I still believe, though, that SHINee is really one of those few groups who give flawless and almost perfect performance on stage.

 

I witnessed how SHINee worked hard in the past to be in their position right now. Before, when they were just trainees, Jonghyun-oppa will usually pick me up from school and let me take a peak on how the five of them practiced. I basically saw how each of them grew in their own ways for I often sat on the floor during their rehearsals.

 

Not that I'm so proud of this, but I think, I know SHINee more than anybody else know them. Why not? I know Jonghyun-oppa the most, and of course, I have a lot of times seeing them in person and being with them personally and off cam.

 

To be truthfully honest? Some of them were not really as how they portray themselves in public.

 

Some of them act very innocent and pure... but... I don't think so. If not real then not much of being his very self, maybe.

 

- - -

 

“This is too bad!!” Seo Li whined after reading a text message. “Mom's asking me to go home as soon as possible because we need to rush somewhere!” She said. “Ahh!! I want to see SHINee!!”

 

The program has just ended and we just got up from our seat. I chuckled. She was the most excited of us three but now she couldn't go with us.

 

“Poor you~” Minyoung mockingly told her.

 

“Aniya.” Seo Li grabbed Minyoung's arm. “If i'm not going to see SHINee today, then you can't, either.” She said seriously. “You're going to leave this studio with me and we're not coming back.” She insisted to which Minyoung immediately protested.

 

“Of course not, why will I go with you!!?” She shouted.

 

“Because you should!” In one pull, Minyoung found herself being dragged by Seoli out of the studio. “See you around, Junhee-ah!! Tell the oppas we're proud of their comeback performance!!”

 

Seoli even shouted before leaving.

 

I sighed and took my things with me. I was still in my school uniform and still had this huge backpack because we went straight from school.

 

While walking towards the backstage, I texted oppa telling him to go pick me up so the security can let me in. Of course, I can't go inside if I only go by myself. I need someone to pick me up who is legible enough to allow someone inside.

 

After I sent the message, I looked towards the front door and found Jonghyun-oppa standing there, smiling at me. He was leaning against the wall giggling at the text I just sent him.

 

“I arrived here just before you sent in the message.” He uttered and messed with my hair. He always does that whenever we see each other. I flinched and quickly defended my hair.

 

“Aish, oppa!! Stop doing that!” I said with a frown but he just chuckled.

 

“Come on!” He wrapped his arm around my neck and we went inside.

 

I noticed that today, Jonghyun-oppa was unusually happy. Did something happen? What made him so smiley like this? Yes, he's usually cheerful and playful, but it's very weird, for I've never seen that smile before.

 

“Something wrong?” I asked as we walked towards their dressing room. He looked at me and frowned a bit though he was still smiling.

 

“Hmm.. maybe there's something right?” He told me simply. Something right?

 

“Oppa ~ Stop making me guess... just tell me. What happened?”

 

“She said yes.” He whispered as low as possible, making sure that only the two of us can hear what he was saying. I looked at him confused, who said yes? “Kim Ji Won.”

 

“Kim Ji Won?” I repeated - “Shh... tone down your voice!” He restrained. I covered my mouth and looked around if someone else heard. Thank God no one did. “So... is it the Kim Jiwon from Minho-oppa's drama that you previously had a crush on?” I asked just to make sure.

 

This was the first time after 4 months that we were able to see each other. Last time we met, Oppa was just talking about how he acquired a huge crush on Kim Jiwon the moment they met on a certain show and guested together.

 

Jonghyun-oppa giggled and nodded. He was too happy to tell me about that news. I noticed how his cheeks were already ascending to heaven. “We started dating just a week ago.”

 

“Wow!” I said a bit out loud and then toned down my voice again. “Waah.. Oppa, daebak! You're so cool!” I said happily to which oppa gave a satisfying smile.

 

Before he could say anything else, we arrived at their dressing room.


//hi guys. thanks for early subscription. :) Let's get this on. XD

// edited: click words with the blue highlight to see photos. :D