Whatever it is..

Note to Self: Don't Fall

 

I looked at the stage full of participants for the open audition SM Entertainment was holding in our campus at the moment. Just because the school year was about to end, the administration has allowed these events to be held here and cut the classes.

 

I couldn't review for the final exam. It was too noisy and there was no single room that could give me silence – even the library, for this matter. I murmured my complains to myself as I annoyingly vent my irritation to my pencil – constantly tapping it on the table in the cafeteria.

 

Minyoung and Seoli weren't even here with me. They were watching the open audition and wanted me to go with them at first, but I refused since I have this feeling that they will go to the extent of puhing me to the stage just to audition.

 

No way. I told myself not to go on any audition like that. When I go to a university, I want to study to become a teacher someday... and then I'll have cute and intelligent students and they will be very good students to me.

 

I was in the middle of dreaming about my future when I heard my phone ringing. Jinki oppa's name was registered on the screen.

 

“Yoboseyo?” I gathered enough courage before answering his call.

 

“Did Jonghyun bring you to school?” It was the first thing that he asked the moment I picked up the phone.

 

“Yes.” I replied simply.

 

“Good.” He chuckled on the other line and then there was sudden silence. “He told me not to bother you anymore... so he asked me not to go and pick you up coz he'll do it.”

 

So Jonghyun oppa really did that?

 

“He told me you were doing something important so he volunteered to do it.” I told him.

 

“Well... sure. If that's what he said.” Jinki oppa answered. “But Junhee... I'm really sorry. I didn't even take your feelings into consideration.”

 

What??

 

“I've been too engrossed with myself lately that I forgot you're a private person who has a private life. I'm sorry, I've caused you a lot of troubles and I know it was such a burden for you.” He said on the other line. I didn't know it will be more disappointing hearing it from his own mouth. It was like... giving up on me... but we didn't have any relationship so... nevermind.

 

“I understand.” I only said. I understand, and I hope not to care about that.

 

“What else did Jonghyun say?”

 

“Nothing more.” Why did you have to do the things you do when Jonghyun oppa didn't even ask for you to do that? Why did you agree when Jonghyun oppa said you should stop seeing me? Why did it feel like you are just leaving me behind?

 

I wanted to ask a lot of questions but decided not to voice out any. It was clear enough that he was trying to say that he would never see me again so he won't cause me any trouble from now on.

 

Isn't it great? Not being able to see Jinki oppa from now on?

 

As I was about to answer, a faculty member appeared in front of me. She seemed like she wanted to talk to me. “Oh... oppa, i'm hanging up now. I need to do something else.”

 

“Oh.. then, goodbye.” He said and the line got cut off.

 

“Hi, ma'am.” I said and greeted her politely.

 

“I was looking for you. Come on, the department head wants to see you.” She said while smiling excitedly.

 

“Why, ma'am?”

 

“You'll see once we get there. Come on?”

 

I nodded and stood up taking my things with me. I followed her as she headed to the department heads' office.

 

“Here, our Kim Junhee.” Professor Park Sung Hae, head of Arts and Communication department, approached me happily as she wrapped her arm around my waist. There were two other people inside the office who I was not familiar with. One is a tall guy that is around 30 – 35 years old, the other is a slim tall lady who was dressed really well.

 

“Hello, Kim Junhee. We are the representatives from SM Entertainment.”

 

Oh crap.

 

“I'm sorry if we asked for your presence here. We just like to encourage you into joining the next batch of SM Trainee for future actors of South Korea.” The lady told me. “We watched one of your stage plays and we were really impressed by your presence on stage, and by checking it, we also realized you have such a great register on cam.” She smiled. “We will definitely be glad to have you as a trainee... and I think you have such a great chance to break into the industry because of your talent.”

 

I was speechless. How can I turn down such offer? They were the ones who approached me and asked me to join them. How can I say no to the offer everybody has been dying to have?

 

“Kim Junhee's SHINee Jonghyun's cousin.” Someone whispered from somewhere. The two representatives heard it and were surprised.

 

“Oh, really? That's great!” The guy said.

 

“Ohhh....” She nodded. “I thought you were a different Kim Junhee. I guess we came across the same girl.” She smiled at me, much more excited than a while ago. “You were the one being linked to Onew-ssi right?”

 

Should I say yes to that question?

 

“Well.. it will be even happier for you to join us. They can be your sunbaes and they can help you whenever they have the time.” She told me and gave me her card. “Here's our contact number. I hope you give us positive response... or we'll have to go here again to personally get you.” They chuckled.

 

*** *** ***

 

“It's up to you...” Umma said as I sat with her and Appa at the table that night to discuss about this offer from SM Entertainment.

 

“And besides, you won't have that hard time adjusting there since you know a lot of people already.” He was pertaining to the amount of time I have spent when Jonghyun oppa tagged me along with him during dance rehearsal. I already know some of the protocol they have in the company.

 

“It's such a once in a lifetime chance to be offered such thing... not to mention you didn't audition for them. That means they really have an eye for your talent.” Umma added.

 

“How about studies? How about the university?” I asked them. I was still debating on it in my mind.

 

“You can have both.” Appa said. “Though it might be difficult for you, but if you have the will for your dreams then... why not?”

 

Umma stood up and rubbed my shoulders gently. “Think of it very well, Junhee-ah. I know you can make the right decision. We trust you, and we know that whatever you do, you'll be successful in it.” She said dearly and hugged me tight.

 

As I went back to my room, I really don't know what to choose.. or if I can handle both. I don't want to miss this opportunity... but at the same time, I don't wat to quit entering the university.

 

My phone rang. Jinki oppa's name was registered on it.

 

“Yoboseyo?” I answered.

 

“I just want to say goodnight.” He said on the other line. “I wasn't able to see you today, at least a goodnight can make me feel a bit better.”

 

“Oh... yeah. Goodnight.” I only said. I didn't know what to say anymore. I have a lot of things to think about... actually, including this person.

 

“Are you sad?” He suddenly asked. I was surprised on how he was able to kind of detect my feelings. “..or maybe something troubling you?”

 

“Well... how do you know?” I asked back.

 

“Instinct.” He answered. “Mind telling me? I don't mind listening.” He said.

 

“It's okay...” I don't need to tell you my troubles about you.

 

“School? Pressured for the exam, perhaps?” He asked, persistent to know what was troubling me. In the end, I gave up.

 

“SM...”

 

“What? What did they do to you?!” He asked worriedly on the other line. I can't help but laugh when I heard his voice panicking.

 

“No... they are offering me a slot as a trainee.” I told him.

 

“Trainee?” He paused for a while before continuing. “You mean... training in SM to become an idol?”

 

“Not an idol... an actress, maybe.” I told him. “But... I'm still debating whether to accept it or not... and... I want to become a teacher.”

 

“Well, I wanted to become a scientist and an astronaut before realizing that I wanted to become an artist.” He said and I chuckled. “Junhee-ah...”

 

“Deh?”

 

“You don't need anybody's opinion about what you want to do in your life. I think you yourself know what's best for you... so stick to it... and remember, there are chances that only come once in a lifetime... so never miss a chance, if that's something you think you need to have.” He told me – suddenly acting like a real oppa. I understood what he said.

 

“Thank you.” I uttered. “Though I'm still confused but I know I can decide soon enough.”

 

“And whatever your decision might be, I know you will do best in it.”

 

Just as how umma told me.

 

“For now, you need to take a rest so you will have a clear mind tomorrow. Goodnight, Junhee-ah. Dream of me.”

 

“Why would I?!” I asked in surprise.

 

“Coz that will be a sweet dream.” He said and the call got cut off immediately.


// What would be Junhee's decision??